Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Johnston FC pays tribute after sudden death of Rhyan Nolan, 27

Published

on

Community rallies around grieving family as club honours much-loved player at weekend fixture

JOHNSTON FC paid an emotional tribute at the weekend to Rhyan Nolan after his sudden death at the age of 27.

The club marked the occasion with a flawlessly observed minute’s silence before kick-off, as both teams, officials and supporters came together in his memory.

A signed match ball and Rhyan’s much-worn number ten shirt, covered in messages from team-mates and friends, were also prepared to be handed to his family, who were present for the tribute.

The death of Rhyan has sent shockwaves through the local community, with many gathering around his loved ones in the days since the devastating news emerged.

A fundraiser set up on GoFundMe says his family received the heartbreaking news on Monday that they had lost their “precious, loving son and brother” suddenly at such a young age.

The appeal names his close family as Nichola, Shamus, Brandon, Callum and Lilly, and says relatives are hoping to ease the financial burden while giving Rhyan the send-off he deserves.

It states: “Rhyan deserves a celebration of his short life.”

Johnston FC said it had been a difficult week for all those who knew and loved him, but said it had also been heartwarming to see such an outpouring of love at the match.

The club thanked everyone who helped make the tribute possible, along with those who had sent messages of support and donated towards helping the family.

Photographs shared after the game showed the scale of the moment, with both sides lined up in silence and the orange number ten shirt left covered in handwritten tributes.

For many in attendance, it was a powerful and deeply personal farewell to a young man clearly held in enormous affection.

A GoFundMe appeal has now been launched to support the Nolan family.

 

Community

Lydstep Haven swimming warning lifted after sewerage repairs

Published

on

BATHERS have been told they can return to the water at Lydstep Haven after warnings linked to a pollution incident were lifted.

Pembrokeshire County Council had advised people not to swim at the beach after an “abnormal situation” was declared earlier this month over concerns about bathing water quality.

Natural Resources Wales has now confirmed that the status has been lifted following repair works to a private sewerage system.

Water samples taken in the days after the repairs indicated that the bathing water was no longer being affected.

Signage warning people not to swim will now be removed by the council.

An NRW spokesperson said: “The ‘abnormal situation’ status at Lydstep Haven beach in Pembrokeshire has been lifted by Natural Resources Wales.

“The lifting of this status means that Pembrokeshire County Council is no longer advising people not to swim at Lydstep Haven.

“The private operator has carried out repair works to their sewerage system and results from several water samples taken indicate the bathing water is no longer being impacted.

“NRW is continuing its investigation into any possible regulatory breaches.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Safe Haven Homeless breakfast raises more than £170 in Whitland

Published

on

A FUNDRAISING breakfast held at The Station House pub in Whitland has raised more than £170 for Safe Haven Homeless CIC.

The event saw supporters gather at the pub, where landlord Mike provided a dedicated area for the organisation to display leaflets and posters, sell mugs, and explain more about its plans.

Collection tins were placed on each table and organisers said several generous donations were made during the morning.

Safe Haven Homeless CIC is being set up to provide a safe location, together with a wider support package, for homeless people who are desperate to get their lives back on track.

Organisers said the money raised would go towards the group’s work and help demonstrate to grant funders that the organisation is able to raise support locally.

A spokesperson said: “We intend to fund our initial start-up costs from grant funding, and by holding events like this we show grant funders that we are capable of raising funds ourselves.”

Safe Haven Homeless is also in the process of having a website built, which is expected to include a donations portal. The front page is currently live at www.safe-haven-homeless.org.uk, with OROGO Advertising working on the full site.

Photos:

Dave, founder and general manager, with his wife Lynne; director Steve Cox; supporters at the breakfast; the display area; and The Station House, Whitland.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Caffi Festri opens as new community café in Dinas Cross

Published

on

A NEW community café has opened in Dinas Cross, offering affordable food and drink in a welcoming space for local families, dog walkers and visitors.

Caffi Festri opened on Wednesday (May 20) under the tenancy of local chef Lydia Taylor, who is well known in the area.

Lydia previously owned and worked as chef at Tides in Newport, and has now taken on the lease at Caffi Festri with the aim of giving something back to the community which has supported her.

The café has been set up at her own expense and is intended to provide a friendly, accessible space where people can enjoy good food and drink at affordable prices.

Caffi Festri is both dog-friendly and child-friendly, with a small play corner available for younger visitors.

The café is also supporting local creativity by showcasing work from local artists and makers, including Thomas J E, a local blacksmith, and James Fels, a local painter.

Those behind the project say the aim is to create more than just a café, but a community space where people can meet, relax and feel welcome.

Caffi Festri is now open in Dinas Cross.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government3 hours ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community4 hours ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime10 hours ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community10 hours ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government14 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community2 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime2 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg3 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week