Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Published

on

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210

A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity cocaine through Pembroke Dock town centre has been jailed for three years.

Police received intelligence on April 4 that a vehicle was expected to be bringing drugs into Pembrokeshire.

Just after 3:30pm, officers spotted the vehicle travelling west on the A477. It was later stopped in Dimond Street, Pembroke Dock, where Zamurd Hussain, aged 43, was found to be the sole occupant.

Inside the vehicle, officers discovered a clear plastic bag containing 123 grams of cocaine.

Sian Cutter KC, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court on Wednesday that Hussain had travelled to Cardiff earlier that morning and stayed for just one hour before returning west.

“He told the officers he had gone to collect the drugs in order to make some money,” she said.

The court heard Hussain was paid £210.15 to act as a courier, transporting the cocaine from a Cardiff dealer to Pembroke Dock.

Ms Cutter said the drugs, which had a street value of just over £15,000, were not for Hussain’s personal use and that his role was to move them on behalf of others.

When officers asked to see his mobile phone, Hussain shouted at a member of the public to take it from him. When police eventually seized the phone, he refused to provide the PIN.

Ms Cutter said Hussain had 17 previous convictions, including two drug-related offences for possession with intent to supply.

Hussain appeared before the court by video link from HMP Swansea, where he has been held on remand.

Defending, Hannah George KC said Hussain had suffered from a serious drug addiction for many years.

“He started smoking cannabis as a teenager and has had substance abuse issues for a considerable time,” she said.

“His use of cocaine worsened in 2020, which resulted in his previous conviction for possession with intent to supply.

“But since he has been on remand, he has used his time productively by completing numerous courses in relation to cannabis and drug misuse.”

Ms George said Hussain was eager to return to employment after serving his prison sentence and hoped to find work in the construction industry.

“He is supported by family members who will do all they can to help him remain on the right path once he is released,” she added.

Sentencing Hussain to three years in custody, Judge Huw Rees said: “It is startlingly obvious that drugs have been your downfall.”

The court heard that Hussain was a “drug addict” also made a forfeiture and destruction order for the cocaine found in Hussain’s vehicle and for his mobile phone.

However, he allowed Hussain to retrieve personal, non-contentious items from the phone, including photographs of his family.

 

Crime

Tree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test

Published

on

A COURT has heard how a self-employed tree surgeon deliberately refused to provide a breathalyser test despite giving a positive roadside reading that was over three times the legal drink-drive limit.

Williams Badham, 24, was stopped by officers as he drove a poorly illuminated Ford Transit van through Haverfordwest at around 11pm on April 7.

“Police indicated for the vehicle to stop so that they could give him advice about  the rear lights,” Crown Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest magistrates this week.

“And when they spoke to him, they realised he was under the influence of drink.”  

A roadside breath test proved positive, and showed a high reading of 109 mcg, the legal limit being 35.

Badham was subsequently arrested and taken to the police station, however he refused to provide officers with further specimens of breath.

Badham, who is employed as a tree surgeon operating from his home in Rylands Lane, Kilgetty, pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for analysis and chose to represent himself before the magistrates.

“Over the years I’ve struggled with substance and alcohol abuse but this really has been a wake-up,” he told the Bench.

“I’m now  focused on changing my ways.”

Badham was sentenced to a 12-month community order during which he must complete a six-month drug rehabilitation requirement, ten additional rehabilitation activity requirement days and a 90-day alcohol abstinence monitoring requirement.  He was disqualified from driving for 17 months.  The defendant must also pay a £114 court surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembrokeshire woman sentenced for double probation breach

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE woman has been sentenced for failing to turn up for her community order requirements just four days after receiving her initial court  sentence.

Natalie John, 28, was sentenced to a community order on April 2 requiring her to carry out rehabilitation activity days and unpaid work.  But her failure to attend two induction appointments on April 7 and April 27 this week resulted in her re-appearance before Haverfordwest magistrates.

“Llanelli magistrates made  the order on April 2, which included rehabilitation activity requirement days and  unpaid work,” probation officer Julie Norman told the Haverfordwest Bench.

“But two appointments have since been missed by the defendant.”

Ms Norman went on to say that since her initial breaches, John’s attendance has significantly improved.  

“Hopefully she’ll go on to complete the order without any further issues,” she concluded.

John, of Central Court, Milford Haven pleaded guilty to failing to comply with the community order requirements and was represented in court by Alaw Harries.  Ms Harries said the first breach took place as a result of John’s vehicle breaking down as she attempted to travel to her probation appointment.

“She had no alternative means of getting there,” said Alaw Harries.

“On the second occasion, she was suffering from sickness and diarrhoea, although she didn’t provide any medical evidence to back this up.

“But moving forward, she’s willing to comply with the order.”

After considering her mitigation, magistrates fined John £40 and ordered her to pay £60 costs to the probation service ,

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge

Published

on

A 25-YEAR-OLD drink-driver has lost his licence after a member of the public became concerned about his manner of driving.

Lennox Evans was stopped by officers just before midnight on May 3 after he was discovered driving his Ford Zetec on the Cleddau Bridge.

“A member of the  public had phoned police about the manner of his driving,” Crown Prosecutor Llinda Baker told Haverfordwest magistrates this week.

“The officers were given the registration number and the make of the vehicle and during a search of the area, they discovered the vehicle being  driven by the defendant.”

When spoken to by the officers, Evans admitted drinking two pints of alcohol earlier that evening.  Subsequent breathalyser tests carried out at the police station showed he had 47 mcg of alcohol in his system, the legal limit being 35.

Evans, of Dimond Street, Pembroke Dock, pleaded guilty to the drug driving offence and was represented in court by solicitor Alaw Harries.

“He accepts entirely that this was a complete error in judgement,  as he didn’t believe that he was over the limit,” she said.

Evans was disqualified from driving for a total of 14 months and fined £120.  He must also pay £85 court costs and a £48 surcharge.

 

Continue Reading

Crime11 minutes ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News13 hours ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News19 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg23 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime2 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community2 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime2 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health3 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community4 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health4 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Popular This Week