Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

‘Fog of confusion’ about Withybush Plans

Published

on

fog of confusionUNCERTAINTY CONTINUES to dog the future of maternity, paediatric and specialist baby care at Withybush General Hospital, Haverfordwest.

Speaking to The Pembrokeshire Herald, Stephen Crabb, the MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, said:

“In recent weeks the fog of confusion around the future of vital services at Withybush has got worse, with neither the Hywel Dda Health Board nor the Welsh Health Minister being willing or able to come clean on their true intentions. The Pembrokeshire rumour mill is in overdrive about changes at Withybush and the local community is rightly concerned and angry. This is the biggest issue facing our County and it is time for Welsh Government in Cardiff to hold the Health Board to account and provide certainty and assurance.”

As The Pembrokeshire Herald revealed last week, staff have already been consulted about a planned shift of services from Withybush to West Wales General Hospital, Glangwili. BBC news picked up the story this week and confirmed with Hywel Dda Local Health Board that talks were taking place with hospital staff.

Campaign groups set up

SEVERAL campaigning groups have been set up on Facebook to fight the closures and a public meeting is to be held at The Picton Centre in Haverfordwest this evening (Thursday, November 21) with a view to setting up a fighting fund to resist any closures or relocation of maternity and paediatric services.

The number of people who have joined the on-line campaign groups at the time this article goes to press is just under 20,000.

In January 2013, Pembrokeshire’s Best Magazine revealed that out of 1,567 responses to the ORS consultation on the Health Board’s plans for Withybush, only 9% of respondents in Pembrokeshire (150 people) favoured the Board’s proposal to close SCBU and transfer all care for high dependence neonates, complex ante-natal and perinatal care out of the County to Glangwili. In spite of the level of opposition shown to their plans, the Local Health Board’s decision announced on January 15 was to proceed with its plans, but to retain some paediatric and obstetric services at Withybush “subject to recruiting staff”.

Speaking to The Herald last week with reference to the potential loss of services due to loss of birth numbers at Withybush, the a spokeswoman from the Hywel Dda Health Board said:

“We are at significant risk of losing training posts if we cannot find solutions. Services may become too fragile unless we plan for the future.

“The neonatal element was referred to Welsh Government and the Health Board was requested to provide further details on our models for gynaecology and obstetrics which is being addressed by this ongoing planning work.”

Further criticism of LHB

THE HEALTH BOARD has been separately criticised by Ceredigion AM for delays in recruitment:

“I have been made increasingly aware of recruitment delays across the Hywel Dda region. In some cases such as recently at Ysbyty Bronglais I’m told of instances where six months after the employment process began, nurses have still not been able to take up new posts.

“Delays in appointing key staff members undermine the vital services offered by the Health Board, increase waiting times, erode public confidence and make it even harder to recruit staff in the future.

“The Welsh Government must work closely with the Local Health Boards across Wales to ensure the process is expedited and that residents get the health service they need and deserve.”

AM’s request for scrutiny denied

A REQUEST from local Assembly Member Paul Davies to publicly scrutinise the future of services at Withybush hospital has been denied.

This follows the latest news that overnight paediatric services at the Withybush hospital could be closed. Mr Davies tabled an urgent question to the Welsh Health Minister given the substantial knock-on effect that this closure would have on the hospital’s obstetrics department, A & E department and the Special Care Baby Unit.

Mr Davies said, “This latest news has further escalated concerns in Pembrokeshire that Withybush hospital is signalled for downgrading. Sadly, my request to scrutinise the Health Minister on this has been turned down. Unfortunately, I have repeatedly called for statements from the Welsh Government in relation to Hywel Dda Health Board’s plans, all of which have been denied.”

He added, “This news will once again renew fears over the hospital’s future, and it’s time that the Welsh Government provided certainty and reassurances for west Wales patients. Anything less is unacceptable. Residents will rightly be worried about the potential closure of overnight paediatric services and the effect that it will have on the sustainability of other core services at Withybush. I will of course, keep raising these issues in the Assembly Chamber in the hope that Welsh Labour Ministers will come clean on the future of Withybush hospital as soon as possible.”

Concern from Haverfordwest Town Council

AT THE Haverfordwest Town Council meeting last night councillors discussed the situation regarding Withybush Hospital.

Town Clerk David Williams said “There are serious concerns about what is happening at Withybush Hospital. We don’t know what the proposals are at the moment and the future of the hospital is in the balance.

“Our intentions are to write to the trust and health minister to clarify what the situation is”.

SWAT has suggested that the situation is the thin end of the wedge in relation to other services. A SWAT leaflet sent to The Pembrokeshire Herald claims, amongst other things:Emergency cover for ALL specialities may reduce to 16 hours each day. Date of implementation unknown at present but maybe January 1, 2014. This would mean patients already in hospital would be safe as on call doctors would be on site but with no A&E facility from perhaps midnight people who became ill overnight or have an accident in the community would be taken directly to Glangwili.

SCBU, Paediatrics and Obstetrics will move to Glangwili in March 2014. This means that there will be NO beds to admit children, babies or pregnant women at Withybush except for very low risk mothers to be.

Anyone needing admission will have to be taken to Glangwili.

A&E will be reduced to 12 hours during the day from April 1, 2014. This means that Withybush will not be able to take any emergency patients overnight and they will all have to be taken to Glangwili for assessment and admission if appropriate.

The leaflet calls on people to demonstrate in support of maintaining services at Withybush outside the hospital every Saturday morning at 11:00 am from January 4, 2014. It also asks for support for a potential legal action to prevent the Health Board’s plans from proceeding.

Joyce Watson AM told us: “I totally support the plan for a Level 2 neo-natal unit in the Hywel Dda area, as we do not currently have one. Withybush maternity unit is the crucial missing piece of the puzzle, however. Until Hywel Dda submits its proposal to the Welsh Government we cannot assess the overall plan.

“What is clear is that Withybush must retain a service that can stabilise mother and baby when complications occur. That is absolutely critical – a red line – and I have consistently urged that point in my discussions with both the Health Board and the Government.”

The Local Health Board responds

In response to the BBC News story, the Health Board released a statement saying:

“The health board can confirm that no instruction has been given to book expectant mothers due in March or April into Glangwili Hospital instead of Withybush Hospital. If any mother has any queries about their booking they are advised to speak to their midwife directly.

“The health board was instructed by the Health Minister in September to clarify the delivery model for obstetric and paediatric services that would be provided to support a Level 2 neonatal unit before a final Ministerial decision is made in relation to new born services.

“The health board is committed to openly discussing the current situation with staff and so meetings are taking place at a hospital, county and health board-wide level.

“The ongoing work with our clinical teams is based on clarifying the service model, taking into account the many service inter-dependencies.

“Proposed models will be submitted to Welsh Government in the next few weeks…the health board’s position [is] that members of staff have not been informed of any final decisions as none have been made.”
Chris Overton of SWAT told The Herald

“Last Tuesday morning the midwifery manager told midwives on the wards that from March there would be a midwifery led service at Withybush. At the same time, the Paediatric Manager told staff that SCBU, paediatric services and Ward 9 admissions would all go to Carmarthen, as that was where paediatric trainee doctors would be based.”

The Pembrokeshire Herald asked for a response from the Welsh Government, shortly before we went to press a spokesperson for Health Minister Mark Drakeford told The Herald:

“This is a matter for the Local Health Board and we have no comment to make on it, at this time.Rebecca Evans AM, Assembly Member for Mid and West Wales said:

“I am obviously concerned by the recent reports, and am seeking clarity from the Health Board because continued speculation and rumour is unhelpful for both patients and our NHS staff.

“The Health Board is due to submit its detailed proposed models to Welsh Government in the next few weeks, and I would expect that those plans should be clinically robust and developed in close collaboration with clinicians and expert obstetricians. I look forward to scrutinising the plans.

“Patient safety – both for the expectant mother and the baby – has to be the overriding concern.”

Mrs Evans is currently seeking reassurances from the Health Board on a number of matters, including that that there is no truth in the reports that all expectant mothers due to give birth after 1 April are being booked into Glangwili Hospital.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed

Published

on

A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.

Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.

Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.

During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.

The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.

Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.

Fled across Europe

Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.

The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.

Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.

His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.

Previous conviction

The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.

Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.

However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.

Sentence and order

Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.

The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.

Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/

Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.

Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Sexual assault allegation to be tried

Published

on

Accused granted conditional bail

A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.

David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.

The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.

The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

 

Continue Reading

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community1 day ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime5 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week