Connect with us





Hakin United 3 Holywell Town 4

On the mark: Woodrow's penalty made it 2-2

On the mark: Woodrow’s penalty made it 2-2

HAKIN UNITED were agonisingly knocked out of the FAW Trophy as 10-man Holywell Town scored a late winner to win the quarter final tie by four goals to three.

Both sides held the lead during a thrilling game but it was Holywell Town who showed the greater spirit to score two goals despite being down to ten men.

The Flintshire side are unbeaten this season and provided a stern test for the Pembrokeshire League Division One leaders. The opening twenty minutes were a tense affair as neither side wanted to make a mistake that would lead to a goal.

Hakin started brightly and a free kick in the first few seconds of the game almost saw them take the lead. Nathan Banner sent the ball into the box and Nicky Woodrow headed towards goal but his effort was saved and the ball was cleared away.

With twenty minutes gone Hakin got the all-important first goal when Nicky Woodrow headed the ball back towards goal and attempting to knock the ball out for a corner, Holywell’s Dafydd Griffith headed the ball into his own net, much to the delight of the home fans.

However, the lead was short lived as a long ball over the top came to Phil Lloyd and after his first shot was saved he was quickest to react to tap in the rebound and make it 1-1.

Then with eight minutes to go until half time Holywell took the lead when a long throw in was headed in to the bottom corner by Matt Harvey.

The Vikings responded well and shortly before half time they were given a chance to get back into the game when the referee spotted a handball in the area. Nicky Woodrow sent the keeper the wrong way and buried the spot kick into the bottom left corner to make it 2-2.

The referee brought an enthralling first half to a close with the scores level and it was the Pembrokeshire side that got the upper hand early in the second half.

Holywell’s manager made a double substitution and while the team where still re-organising, Hakin took the lead.

Ashley Bevan fizzed a cross into the box and Justin Harding was in the right place to powerfully head the ball home.

With twenty minutes to go, Holywell’s chances of getting back into the game were dealt a blow when they were reduced to ten men.

Already on a yellow card, captain Sam Jones raised his hand to the face of a Hakin player and the referee had no option but to pull out the red card.

With ten minutes to go a scramble in the box saw the ball fall to Jack Darcy who poked the ball home for the visitors to make it 3-3.

The Flintshire side had a shout for a penalty moments later when a goal bound effort was cleared off the line but the referee only awarded a corner.

Nicky Woodrow had a late chance to send the Vikings through but he sent his shot wide of the post.

It looked as if the game would go into extra-time but in added time Phil Lloyd scored his second of the game when he rounded the keeper and tapped in to break Hakin’s hearts.

Hakin put up a valiant effort and were unlucky not to win the game.

They will look to bounce back next Saturday as they return to league action, at home against Monkton Swifts.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Lawrenny earn big win over Whitland



LAWRENNY got their 2021 season off to the perfect start on Saturday (May 1) as they beat Whitland by 189 runs.

Whitland won the toss and elected to field but they could only watch as the home side piled on the runs before being bowled out for 264.

Kyle Marsh top scored with a score of 81 while Kurtis Mars also scored 45.

Tom Cole added 32 and James Phillips chipped in with a score of 29 as they batted well.

Wayne Howells and Jonathan Thomas finished with identical figures of 2-27 as Whitland’s bowling did at least keep the score below 300.

Whitland knew they would need to bat well to knock off the runs needed but came up against Ryan Morton who took four wickets for the loss of 17 runs.

Kurtis Marsh also claimed two wickets without conceding any runs as the visitors chances got smaller and smaller.

Geraint Jones did score 30 for Whitland but that was as good as it got as they were bowled out for just 75.

Continue Reading


Town earn comfortable win against Narberth



HAVERFORDWEST got their season off to a good start on Saturday (May 1) as they beat Narberth by by 104 runs.

Narberth won the toss but elected to field first which would ultimately be a decision that would come back to haunt them.

The Town almost reached 200 runs, finishing their innings on 187-8.

Dai Davies top scored for the home side with a knock of 70 which included six fours and one six. He shared a third wicket stand of 49 with Mickey Jones.

Jones hit five fours in his knock of 46 before being caught off the bowling of Louis Hough.

Ben Hughes then had Ben Field caught by Hough to leave Town on 86-4.

Davies was joined in the middle by Jake Merry and the pair shared another good stand, worth 74 runs for the fifth wicket.

However, Merry fell for 32 and soon after Davies was out on 70 as Narberth hit back.

Ben Quartermaine picked up two late wickets as they were able to restrict their hosts to under 200.

Narberth’s opening pair shared 36 runs as they made a good start to their innings but wickets began to fall in quick succession and the 2019 Division 2 Champions were soon 36-4.

Jordan Howell scored 18 but he was his side’s top scorer as Will Phillips took four wickets for the loss of 15 runs for Town.

Ben Quartermaine scored 17 but he fell to Clive Tucker who went on to finish with figures of 3-15.

There was also two wickets for Dai Davies as Town bowled Narberth out for just 83.

Continue Reading


Carew prove too strong for Tish



CAREW’s Iori Hicks picked up a five-wicket haul on Saturday (May 1) to help his side to victory over St Ishmaels.

Tish won the toss but elected to field first and that gave the visitors the chance to build a good total.

They made a steady start, reaching 40-1 after the first 11 overs. They made a series of 32-run partnerships as opening bat Brian Hall made his way to a half century.

Lewis Hicks made a score of 24 before he was bowled by Andrew Pawlett but when Shaun Whitfield was caught by Peter Bradshaw off the bowling of Jonathan Pawlett, the visitors had slipped to 92-4.

Hall and James Hinchcliffe then shared a stand worth 45 runs for the fifth wicket as they looked to accelerate the score.

Hinchcliffe was caught off the bowling of Andrew Pawlett on a score of 19. Hall was joined by Luke Hicks and the pair shared another good stand.

Hall reached his half century but was then caught by Andrew Pawlett off the bowling of Brennan Devonald on a score of 52, leaving Carew on 176-6.

Hicks then took over as he thumped three sixes in a score of 35 but he was then run out.

Iori Hicks and Ceri Brace both finished unbeaten with a six to their name as Tish were set 202 to win the game.

However, their reply did not get off to the best of starts as they lost three wickets in quick succession, all to the bowling of Rhys Davies, leaving them on 15-3.

They faced an uphill task from then on but Harry Nicholas and Brennan Devonald did their best to get their side back in the contest.

They shared 46 for the fourth wicket but then saw Devonald caught off the bowling of Whitfield on a score of 41.

Tish were not out of the game though as Nicholas was joined by Jonathan Pawlett and the pair shared 63 runs for the fifth wicket.

Nicholas reached his half century but was then out on a score of 51 and Pawlett was out to Iori Hicks on a score of 37.

Hicks then took over matters as he picked up four further wickets, including two ducks, to finish with figures of 5-15.

It meant that Tish were bowled out for 154.

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Plaid’s Dafydd Llywelyn re-elected as Police and Crime Commissioner

THE NEW Police and Crime Commissioner for the Dyfed Powys Area has been announced. Incumbent, Dafydd Llywelyn, of Plaid Cymru...

News1 day ago

Mark Drakeford says: ‘Thank you Wales for going red’

LABOUR is staying in power in Wales after matching its best-ever Senedd election result. It won exactly half of the...

News2 days ago

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap. Sam Kurtz...

News2 days ago

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency. He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895...

News2 days ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Politics3 days ago

Pembrokeshire heads to the polls

THE ELECTIONS to the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru take place today, Thursday (May 6). Over the last few weeks, we’ve published...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following suspicious flat fire in Robert Street

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that the force is investigating a fire which occurred at a property in Lower Robert Street,...

News4 days ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News5 days ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

Popular This Week