Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Haverfordwest: Protest over Further Education cuts

Published

on

Helping the environment: Pembrokeshire College are to benefit financially.

Helping the environment: Pembrokeshire College are to benefit financially.

THE UNIVERSITY and College Union are holding a gate protest at Pembrokeshire College on Wednesday over funding cuts that they say will ‘decimate’ adult education in Wales.

The protest is concerned with the proposed 50% funding cuts to the adult education budget in Wales next year.

The cuts, announced for the academic year beginning in September, will severely reduce the opportunities available for adults, many of whom are ‘second chance’ learners returning to education later on in their lives to improve their job prospects.

There will be an average 6.14% budget cut at Wales’s 15 colleges between 2014/15 and 2015/16 but that smaller percentage masks the much more savage cut to courses for those over 19 years of age, which will bear the brunt of savings in favour of other priorities – courses for 16-19 year-olds.

UCU have warned that the cuts will lead to significant course closures and job losses. At Pembrokeshire College, the cuts will affect all Curriculum areas.

Local UCU representative Antony Davies said:  “These cuts would be a devastating blow to colleges and risk decimating further education. We have real concerns that the Welsh government’s plans could be the final nail in the coffin for the types of courses people want to study as a springboard for improving their skills or just to try and get back into work. We urge the Welsh government to pull back from this.”

UCU members will be joined by colleagues from the National Union of Students and Unison in a protest outside the gates of Pembrokeshire College on Merlin’s Roundabout.

The union sees these protests as the start of a campaign to persuade the Welsh Government to change its mind about the level of cuts in funding being made available for post-19 education in the academic year 2015/16.

It was announced last year that £26million was being cut from the post-16 education budget, with the majority of that money to be taken from post-19 education.  Experts have warned that the cuts could effectively see the end of adult further education.  At the time, Dr Phillip Dixon described the likely impact of the cuts.

“I think it will be devastating,” he said. “There will be virtually no provision for post-19 education in further education. And I think it will have a knock-on effect on several areas – particularly on those who want to go back to education, those who want to up-skill and those from non-traditional learning backgrounds, including older people who are wanting to engage with education and learn new skills.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Wales’ top talent on road to ‘skills Olympics’ in China

Published

on

Quarter of UK training squad from Welsh colleges

STUDENTS and apprentices from colleges across Wales are competing for a place on Team UK at the WorldSkills competition in Shanghai next year – often referred to as the ‘skills Olympics’.

Of the 80 young people selected by WorldSkills UK and Pearson to take part in the 18-month training programme, 20 are from Wales – making up around a quarter of the team.

WorldSkills is considered the ultimate global test of vocational and technical excellence, and the 2026 event in Shanghai will be the first time China has hosted the prestigious contest. Over 1,500 competitors from more than 80 countries are expected to take part, showcasing skills in disciplines ranging from engineering and digital technologies to hospitality and the creative industries. The event will be watched by more than 250,000 spectators.

The UK will compete in over 30 disciplines, including 3D Digital Game Art, Robot Systems Integration, and Renewable Energy.

One of those selected for the UK’s training squad is Madeleine Warburton, 19, a student at Coleg Llandrillo’s Rhyl Campus. Madeleine won silver in Renewable Energy at the UK national finals in 2024.

She said: “I wanted to expand my knowledge within the renewable sector outside of college and work – to help improve my skills for when I go on site, learn more about solar, and meet like-minded people.

“I would definitely encourage anyone to compete. No matter how far you get in the process, it’s a huge benefit. I’ve learnt so much and developed transferable skills. My confidence has grown massively, and I’ve made friends for life.”

Minister for Skills, Jack Sargeant, said: “We have so much to look forward to in skills competitions in Wales. Between hosting the WorldSkills UK Finals in November and seeing this strong cohort working towards Shanghai, our economic future is in good hands.

“With 20 Welsh competitors in the mix, Wales is showing once again that a small nation can make a big impact. This is a long process – but I wish ‘pob lwc’ to everyone aiming for final selection.”

Continue Reading

Education

Families urged to claim up to £200 per child for school essentials

Published

on

Thousands still eligible before application window closes on 31 May

FAMILIES across Wales are being urged to apply for the School Essentials Grant before the deadline on Saturday, 31 May, 2025, with up to £200 available per child to help cover the rising costs of school-related expenses.

The Welsh Government’s grant offers £125 for each eligible learner and £200 for those entering Year 7, acknowledging the higher costs associated with starting secondary school.

Uniforms, coats, shoes, stationery, sports kits, musical instruments, and equipment for after-school clubs are among the many essentials the grant can help pay for.

Currently, 90% of those eligible have already applied – but thousands of families across Wales could still be missing out on vital financial support.

What is the School Essentials Grant?

The grant is part of a wider support package for low-income families, children in care, and those seeking asylum. It is available to all eligible learners aged 4 to 16 in any school setting, including special schools and pupil referral units.

To qualify, parents must receive one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit, and annual income under £16,190 before tax)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (for four weeks after stopping qualifying)
  • Universal Credit (with annual net earned income under £7,400, excluding benefits)

Even if a child already receives Free School Meals, families must still check their eligibility separately to access the School Essentials Grant.

Beth Williams, a teacher at Maesyrhandir CP School in Newtown, said: “The School Essentials Grant is a massive help to parents. We all know how hard it is, especially if you’ve got more than one child, to buy all the things that they need, and it all comes at once.”

Support for schools too

As well as the direct financial support to families, schools also benefit from the Pupil Development Grant (PDG), which helps reduce barriers to learning by providing additional resources.

Caroline Bufton, Headteacher at Maesyrhandir CP School, explained: “It’s very important for parents to check their eligibility because this allows us to have funding which is vital to supporting their children.”

How to apply

Applications must be made through the local authority, and families can apply every year for each eligible child. The current application window closes on Saturday, 31 May, 2025.

Eligible families will receive:

  • £125 per child in primary or secondary school
  • £200 per child entering Year 7

To check eligibility and apply, visit: gov.wales/get-help-school-costs

Continue Reading

Education

Supported employment learners take off on airport adventure

Published

on

A GROUP from the Pembrokeshire Supported Employment Programme (PSEP) enjoyed a memorable day out at Haverfordwest Airport this week as part of their continued education activities.

The visit gave learners the opportunity to explore a wide variety of aircraft and gain hands-on experience with the airport’s emergency services. Highlights of the day included sitting inside a fire truck and trying on some of the firefighter uniform.

The group said they particularly enjoyed learning new facts about aviation and seeing planes up close in real life – a first for many. The trip helped build independent learning skills and teamwork in a fun and engaging environment.

A spokesperson for the team said: “Everyone had a great day! It was an exciting and educational experience for all involved. Thank you to Haverfordwest Airport for allowing us to visit the site.”

PSEP, supported by Norman Industries, continues to offer valuable opportunities for people with disabilities in Pembrokeshire to gain life skills, explore new interests, and build confidence.

Photo caption: Taking flight: Learners from the supported employment programme enjoyed their day at Haverfordwest Airport (Pic: PSEP).

Continue Reading

Business8 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime14 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News15 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business20 hours ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News1 day ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime1 day ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Crime3 days ago

Pembrokeshire farm worker accused of threatening to burn employer’s farm 

A PEMBROKESHIRE farm worker has appeared before magistrates charged with threatening to burn his employer’s 375-acre estate and threatening to...

Popular This Week