Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Court appearance postponed for ‘drugs gang’ trio

Published

on

Jailed: ‘Jimmy Blond’ and his partner Siobhan Jackson

Jailed: ‘Jimmy Blond’ and his partner Siobhan Jackson

A MILFORD HAVEN businessman and two of his ‘associates,’ who were remanded in custody by magistrates in Llanelli last month, have had their first appearance at Swansea Crown Court postponed.

A district judge remanded the three into custody on April 23, in part, a court heard, for their own protection.

The three are accused of being part of an ‘organised group of criminals’ running cocaine from Liverpool into Pembrokeshire. They were originally due to appear in court on May 8, but the case was taken out of the list.

Swansea Crown Court told the Herald that there is not yet a listing date for the appearance of Leigh Salter, 36, of Steynton Road, Milford Haven, who is accused of being the ‘primary runner’ in a drug gang’s operation. Salter had allegedly made 62 runs bringing drugs into the county.
Also out of the court list on Friday were alleged associates James Bolton, age 47, known locally as ‘Jimmy Blond’ and his partner Siobhan Jackson, age 37. All three are accused of conspiring to supply cocaine, a class A drug.
A spokesperson Swansea Crown Court said that there is not currently a date in the list for the three to appear.
The three remain remanded in custody on the grounds that the offences were of such a serious nature and that the likelihood of reoffending was high. The court also heard that there was a risk of reprisals against the three, and that there had been ‘violent threats against them’.

On remand: Leigh Salter, 36

On remand: Leigh Salter, 36

Last month, as The Herald previously reported, seventeen people were sentenced to a total of 61 years in jail for their involvement in a cocaine supply ring.

The arrests were the result of Operation Redcliff, which targeted the supply of cocaine into south-west Wales.

Nine of the people sentenced were from the Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire area.

Jail sentences totaling 61 years were handed down after a “professional and meticulous” police operation trapped a gang running drugs into the county. It is not known at this stage if the three currently on remand are accused of being connected with the same Liverpool gang.

The so called “Liverpool Connection” had arranged for large amounts of cocaine to be delivered to Milford Haven, Carmarthen and Pembroke Dock.

One drugs “meet” took place at Carmarthen golf club without the club being aware, Swansea crown court was told.

In court, Robin Rouch, prosecuting, said police used cameras fitted with automatic number plate recognition to track the gang’s movements and bugged conversations as part of Operation Redcliff.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

Published

on

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5)

A man was seen holding onto the outside railings of a bridge, talking to police officers.

The police said: “We are dealing with an ongoing incident, with concern for the welfare of a male, which has meant the A487 between Cartlett Road and Thomas Parry Way in Haverfordwest has been closed.

“Motorists are asked to avoid the area and find alternative routes.

There are reports of long queues for motorists in and around Haverfordwest with some drivers messaging The Herald saying “Town is gridlocked.”

Continue Reading

News

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

Published

on

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found not guilty of all charges at Swansea Crown court today, following a lengthy trial (May 4).

The charges, now dismissed, had related to his time as a Haverfordwest primary school teacher, between 2012 and 2018.

Mr Oulton had described the accusations as a “witch-hunt”.

He confirmed he had made a formal complaint against one officer involved.

Speaking after the verdict, James Oulton said: “I am glad two years and eight months of hell for my family, colleagues and friends has come to an end.”

“I’m just glad it’s over and that the jury came to the right verdict.”

The press was only able to report on the prosecution case, but not the defence case – because Oulton him self via his barrister had made an application to the court for a press restriction.

The Herald feels that this press restriction on the reporting of both sides of the case, once granted, was unlawful, and is appealing to the Court of Appeal on a point of law.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

Published

on

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of action against knife crime, police have said.

Dyfed-Powys Police has released its results from Op Sceptre, which ran from April 26 to May 2, during which officers across the force took part in activity to crack down on crime involving blades.

The week was led by the force’s roads policing units (RPU), with a focus on targeting operations in key areas throughout the four divisions.

Neighbourhood policing teams were instrumental in engaging with shopkeepers, creating educational videos for communities on social media, and working with RPU on joint patrols in crime hotspots.

Inspector Andrew Williams said: “There have been some excellent results forcewide  from this year’s Op Sceptre, and as a result of the increased proactivity in key areas, there has also been a vast amount of other offences detected.

“This was thanks to some outstanding work by roads policing units, neighbourhood policing teams, the joint firearms unit and response officers.

“Our approach was to educate our communities on the laws around carrying and selling knives, and the dangers associated with having a blade on your possession, which was backed up with operational activity across the force.

“This has been very well received, and will be continued during the next operation.”

During the week 20 stop searches were carried out, resulting in seven arrests and numerous weapons being seized.

Twelve people were arrested for drug driving following stop checks on vehicles, one of which led to the discovery of a cannabis cultivation in the Cardigan area.

Traffic offence reports were issued to 41 drivers, and two people will be dealt with for failing to stop for officers when requested.

Neighbourhood policing activity saw engagement with 95 shop owners and community leaders, with officers and PCSOs reassured to find that most businesses were complying with the Challenge 25 policy. Those who were not will be dealt with accordingly.

Insp Williams said: “Our work to tackle knife crime will continue as we consider intelligence logs that were submitted during the operation and develop targeted plans to deal with concerns in our communities.

“We would also like to remind people that while our knife amnesty has now concluded, the best way to dispose of an unwanted blade is to take it to your local recycling centre.”

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News1 day ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

News2 days ago

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigate alleged assault, one man arrested and bailed

POLICE officers in Haverfordwest are investigating an incident where a woman was reportedly assaulted. The alleged attack took place at...

News2 days ago

Fisherman off Pembrokeshire coast airlifted to hospital with burn injuries

A FISHERMAN has been airlifted to hospital with second degree burns after suffering an injury while on a boat off...

Health3 days ago

Mark Drakeford in Milford Haven as pub tills ring for first weekend since December

As part of the easing of lockdown restrictions, hospitality business owners let out a sigh of relief this week after...

News3 days ago

Treasurer stole £6300 by writing cheques to himself from Pembrokeshire charity

THE TREASURER of a west Wales charity stole thousands of pounds from its coffers by writing out cheques to himself,...

News4 days ago

Man arrested on suspicion of rape in Tenby, police appeal for information

A WOMAN was allegedly raped in Tenby on Saturday night (May 1). Police said her cries for help led officers...

News5 days ago

Closing arguments at Swansea Crown Court in James Oulton case

THE CLOSING arguments in the trial of a Haverfordwest primary school teacher accused of sexually assaulting 11 children have been...

Top News5 days ago

Three defendants remanded in custody after pleading guilty to theft charges

THREE shoplifters have been remanded in custody after admitting the theft of high value items from a Haverfordwest shop. The...

Popular This Week