Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

‘Leave a legacy’ says cancer survivor

Published

on

Sharon Jordan, right, with Research Nurse, Catherine McPhee: Invite you to join them at Cancer Research UK’s Legacy afternoon on June 2

Sharon Jordan, right, with Research Nurse, Catherine McPhee: Invite you to join them at Cancer Research
UK’s Legacy afternoon on June 2

A PEMBROKE cancer survivor is urging the people of Pembrokeshire to help the fight against the disease by leaving a legacy in their will.
Sharon Jordan, 52, was diagnosed with breast cancer at 49 and has been through intensive surgery and treatment.
With over a third of the charity’s pioneering work funded through legacy giving she is now calling upon her local community to consider making a donation to Cancer Research UK when they write up their will.
It was when Sharon found a lump in her breast that she went to visit her GP. After having a hysterectomy at the age of 25 due to the finding of cancer cells in her cervix, Sharon knew how important it was to see her GP straight away.
Upon diagnosis Sharon’s first thought was of her children. Having seen them come to terms with losing their father two years beforehand from throat cancer, she now had to give them the news that she also had been diagnosed with cancer.
It has been a difficult three years for Sharon as she suffered from many side effects due to her response to treatment. She found losing her hair particularly difficult and also the loss of energy after feeling so fit and well.
Sharon says: “There have been many low times since my diagnosis but I’ve been offered so much support from both my family and the hospital and I am so grateful for their support. I was also offered the chance to participate in a trial at Haverfordwest Hospital. The reassurance I have received during my treatment whilst being on the trial has been second to none.”
Through money raised by the public Cancer Research UK are able to co-fund Research Nurse, Catherine McPhee, who is based at Haverfordwest, Catherine was able to sign Sharon up to the TACT trial which has also funded by the charity.
Catherine has now been in this role for five years and offers support day in day out to patients who participate in such trials.
Sharon says: “Catherine has been a life-line to me, nothing is every too much trouble. She is always there at the end of the phone and is able to answer any questions or concerns that I’ve had, or just to have a good old cry to at times. I am now asking everyone here across Pembrokeshire to consider leaving a Gift so that Cancer Research UK can continue to fund such trials that in return will save lives.”
Both Sharon and Catherine are extending an open invitation to the people of Pembrokeshire to join them at Cancer Research UK’s Legacy afternoon at Lamphey Court on Tuesday June 2.
Julie George, Cancer Research UK Legacy Manager for Wales said: “Leaving a gift to Cancer Research UK through a Will is a great way to help ensure future generations have longer, happier and healthier lives. Together we can help write an end to cancer. Cancer Research UK is at the heart of progress being made – progress that has seen survival rates for children’s cancer more than double since the 1960s and men with testicular cancer having close to a 100 per cent chance of beating the disease. And women diagnosed with breast cancer are now twice as likely to survive their disease as those diagnosed 40 years ago.”
To register for Cancer Research UK’s Legacy event at Lamphey Court please call Julie George on 07770544789 or for more info about Legacy giving visit www.cruk.org/ legacy.

Sharon Jordan, right, with Research Nurse, Catherine McPhee: Invite you to join them at Cancer Research UK’s Legacy afternoon on June 2

Sharon Jordan, right, with Research Nurse, Catherine McPhee: Invite you to join them at Cancer Research
UK’s Legacy afternoon on June 2

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Community

Fishguard and Goodwick Mural project turns to Crowdfunder to raise money

Published

on

PLANS to put up a few bright and decorative murals around the twin towns of Fishguard & Goodwick have turned to Crowdfunder to raise the money needed for their vision.

Andrew Harries, found of the Fishguard Future Projects, wants to place 12 murals around Fishguard and Goodwick “to help brighten up the town and showcase its culture and history”.

Andrew said: “Having been born and raised in Fishguard, I have seen the town’s highs and lows.

“Fishguard and Goodwick has a lot of potential with the tourism trade growing every year and the popular events such as the Music Festivals, The New Years Eve Street Party, The Carnival, The Soapbox Derby and many more helping attract even more visitors.”

The murals, which were initially turned down for funding when a grant application was refused, will focus on the two towns “interesting but lesser known history” that Andrew feels needs to be highlighted.

Andrew told The Herald: “Each design will be 8 x 6ft and mounted professionally on buildings around the area. Having spoken to a few business owners around the town, this project has received a lot of positive feedback.”

“The murals will unfortunately need to be fully funded via Crowdfunder, after a grant application was turned down.

“I have explored the option of having them traditionally painted on, but this would be more cost effective and would need to be maintained every 5 – 8 years. With this in mind, the designs will be created digitally and then professionally mounted on aluminium composite.”

If you want to help, you can find the link to Andrew’s Crowdfunder here.

Continue Reading

Community

Drive for new recruits as Army Cadets re-open

Published

on

DYFED AND GLAMORGAN ARMY CADET FORCE are now able to accept new joiners aged 12 (and in Year 8 at School) to 17 years old.

Joining the Army Cadets will give access to a wide range of exciting activities, from adventurous training (AT) such as kayaking, mountain biking and abseiling and Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme to military-themed activities including shooting, fieldcraft and skill at arms, as well as training in first aid, young adults get the chance to discover lots of new experiences and make new friends.  

There is no obligation to join the Forces at all, but they can give some guidance if you are interested.  

There are no subscription charges, uniform is issued free on a loan basis; the only thing you need to supply yourselves is Boots.  

The Cadet Force are also looking for adult volunteers, both uniformed and non-uniformed to assist as well.

They have Detachments located in Fishguard, Haverfordwest, Narberth, Tenby, Milford Haven, Neyland, Pembroke Dock, Tenby, St Clears, Llanelli, Trimsarren and Burry Port.

Most Detachments parade twice a week in the evenings 1900 – 2100hrs on a Monday, Wednesday or Thursday (Depending on Location) and try to get away for a weekend every month as well as organising summer camps. 

Further Information is available at :- www.armycadets.com or call them on 01656 657593 (Option 1) to find out where your local detachment is and what nights they Parade.

Continue Reading

Community

Food Waste Heroes needed in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

TESCO’S Pembroke Dock Superstore has joined forces with food sharing app and social enterprise OLIO which is encouraging people across Pembrokeshire to become Food Waste Heroes.

The OLIO app allows anyone who signs up to tackle the issue of food waste at a local level.

OLIO Food Waste Heroes collect surplus food that might otherwise go to waste from supermarkets and other food businesses and share it with others locally for free via a contact-free pick-up.

Food Waste Heroes will be collecting surplus food from Tesco local stores taking part in the scheme, including the Tesco Pembroke Dock Superstore, and take it home ready to upload it to the app and share it with their community.

To reward them for taking part Food Waste Heroes are allowed to keep 10% of anything they collect to enjoy at home.

Saasha Celestial-One, co-founder of OLIO, said: “People become a Food Waste Hero for many different reasons but they each share a commitment to reducing food waste at scale. It is extremely rewarding because distributing large quantities of surplus food via the app means you get to see exactly what food you are preventing from going to waste.

“In the process of sharing our FWHs also get to meet a lot of new people in their neighbourhood, people from all walks of life. Finally, FWHs are able to keep up to 10% of their haul for themselves, so they can enjoy some of the delicious rescued food too!”

OLIO is registered with the Food Standards Agency, which ensures that all food collected is safe for human consumption.

Paul Johns, Store Manager at Tesco Pembroke Dock encouraged people to get involved.

“At Tesco we are committed to tackling food waste and we already donate our store’s surplus food to local charities and community groups through our Community Food Connection scheme with FareShare,” he said.

“But on some days local charities and community groups are unable to collect from us, and that is why we are supporting OLIO in the hunt for Food Waste Heroes across Pembrokeshire so that even more of our surplus food is eaten rather than wasted.”

To become a Food Waste Hero or find out more, visit https://olioex.com/get-involved/volunteer/

Continue Reading
News1 hour ago

Heatherton expansion approved

• Committee overturns officers’ objections • Economic benefits outweigh other impacts • Conditions must not delay development THE COUNCIL’s Planning...

News6 hours ago

Milford Haven: Christmas cosmetics thief caged

A MIDLANDS shop lifter caught stealing £2200 worth of cosmetics and skin care products from Boots in Milford Haven just...

News1 day ago

Major blaze destroys well known Tenby chip shop

EMERGENCY services have sealed off part of Tenby following a major fire at a chip shop. Fire fighters rushed to...

News1 day ago

Tributes from family for ‘beautiful’ Ella Smith following fatal road accident

POLICE investigating Sunday’s fatal road traffic accident have confirmed that the person who sadly died has been formally identified as...

News2 days ago

Public urged to have say on second homes and empty properties policies

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has begun a consultation exercise on the authority’s policies relating to second homes and long term empty...

News2 days ago

Tributes to victim as police confirm fatal workshop fire in Sageston

POLICE have confirmed that a workshop fire in Sageston over the weekend was sadly fatal and is now being investigated...

News2 days ago

One dead and three seriously injured in road traffic accident on B4341

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed it is investigating a fatal road traffic collision which occurred on the B4341 between Haverfordwest and...

Business3 days ago

Castell Howell Foods highlights sector concerns over Covid recovery

THE HOSPITALITY sector may be opening up, but transport and supply issues are hampering the industry’s recovery – according to...

News4 days ago

Port boss: Pembroke Dock development full permission an ‘important step’

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Port of Milford Haven has welcomed a decision of “non-intervention” by the Welsh Government over...

News4 days ago

Medical evacuation from LPG tanker off St Ann’s Head

ANGLE Lifeboat was launched on service at 12:59pm on Thursday afternoon (Jun 10) to assist in a medical evacuation from...

Popular This Week