News
Pembroke: Paedophile Byron Scarfe jailed for 12 years
A PEMBROKESHIRE man convicted of child sex offences has been jailed for 12 years this afternoon (July 10).
Byron Scarfe, aged 55, had denied assaulting two girls when they were aged nine and 11.
He was found guilty by a jury at Swansea Crown Court and today was back in the same court room to be sentenced by Judge Huw Davies.
Judge Davies told Scarfe, of Rowlands Way, Pembroke, that he had shown no remorse for his offending or any insight into the effects it had had on the girls concerned.
Judge Davies said he noted that Scarfe still denied the offences, despite the verdicts.
Scarfe was convicted of raping the first girl and sexually assaulting her by various means on other occasions.
Jim Davis, prosecuting, said one of the incidents had been witnessed by a woman who was so shocked she hit him twice.
But at the time she accepted his explanation that he had walked into a room to find her already naked and had not actually touched her.
Mr Davis said Scarfe had asked the second girl if she had ever had “a real kiss” before putting his tongue in her mouth.
Mr Davis said it was the second girl who first told an adult what had happened. When that became known the allegations relating to the first girl came to light.
Judge Davies ordered Scarfe to register with the police as a sex offender until further notice. After his release from prison his access to young girls will be restricted.
He warned Scarfe that despite his claims that the accusations had been invented he was now “a marked man.”
Ian Wright, the barrister representing Scarfe, said his wife of more than 30 years was standing by him.
News
Flood alert issued for Pembrokeshire coast
Residents urged to prepare as flooding possible between St Dogmaels and Amroth
A FLOOD alert has been issued for the Pembrokeshire coast by Natural Resources Wales.
The alert covers the coastline between St Dogmaels, Cardigan and Amroth, where flooding is possible.
Residents are being urged to be prepared, check flood plans, and make sure family members, pets, vehicles, livestock and important belongings can be moved to safety if needed.
Natural Resources Wales is also advising people to keep mobile phones charged, know how to turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, and prepare a small emergency bag with essential items including medication, chargers, warm clothing, baby and pet supplies, sanitary items and insurance documents.
People are warned not to drive or walk through floodwater. Just 30cm of water can carry a car away, while 15cm can knock a person off their feet.
For more information, visit the Natural Resources Wales flood warning service or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188, using quick dial number 503013.
Entertainment
Tony Christie brings farewell show to Torch Theatre
LEGENDARY singer Tony Christie is coming to Milford Haven as part of his Great Farewell tour.
The veteran performer, best known for hits including Is This the Way to Amarillo and I Did What I Did for Maria, will appear at the Torch Theatre on Thursday, June 25, at 7:30pm.
Christie, born Anthony Fitzgerald in Yorkshire in 1943, began performing as a teenager and went on to enjoy a career spanning more than six decades.
His breakthrough came after signing with MCA Records in 1969, with the 1970s bringing huge success and more than 10 million record sales.
He later enjoyed renewed fame when Peter Kay helped introduce Amarillo to a new generation, making the song one of the best-known British pop hits of the modern era.
The Great Farewell show will celebrate Christie’s long career, taking in his classic hits and the songs that made him one of Britain’s most enduring entertainers.
A limited number of VIP packages are available, including the best seats, access to Tony’s sound check from 4:15pm to 5:00pm, a meet-and-greet with Tony and his wife Sue, and a goody bag containing a personally dedicated signed CD and 10×8 photograph.
Tickets cost £30, with VIP tickets priced at £80.
Bookings can be made at torchtheatre.co.uk or through the Box Office on 01646 695267.
News
NHS leaders welcome First Minister’s pledge on joined-up health approach
NHS LEADERS in Wales have welcomed the new First Minister’s commitment to taking a whole-government approach to improving health and wellbeing.
The Welsh NHS Confederation said the focus on prevention, public health and care closer to home was a “strong and positive starting point” for the new Senedd term.
Darren Hughes, director of the Welsh NHS Confederation, said ministers working together across government would be essential because many of the factors affecting people’s health sit outside the NHS.
He said: “We welcome the First Minister’s focus on a whole-government approach to improving health and wellbeing in Wales.
“The recognition that ministers must work together across government is a strong and positive starting point for this new Senedd term, reflecting the wider factors that shape people’s health and the need for joined-up action to improve it.”
Mr Hughes said the emphasis on prevention, public health and shifting more care into primary and community services was vital to helping people get support earlier, improving care and easing pressure on hospitals.
But he warned that the ambitions must now be supported by clear priorities, realistic plans and honest communication with the public about what can be delivered and when.
He added: “Over the next four years, building trust and strong relationships with NHS leaders will be essential.
“NHS leaders in Wales stand ready to work with the Welsh Government and partners across public services to turn this whole-government ambition into real improvements in health and wellbeing.”
The Welsh NHS Confederation represents all organisations making up the NHS in Wales, including the seven local health boards, three NHS trusts and two special health authorities.
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station






