News
Premier Inn arson: Gina Tranter enters guilty plea

Remanded in custody: Gina Tranter is accused of arson
THE WOMAN who set fire to the Premier Inn at Haverfordwest will not have to stand trial accused of arson with intent to endanger life.
The CPS yesterday accepted (Jul 9) Georgina Tranter’s plea of guilty to a lesser charge of arson while being reckless as to whether life would be endangered.
The change of attitude came as Tranter, of Redstone Court, Narberth, was due to go on trial at Swansea crown court.
Judge Peter Heywood said the sentencing powers of the court were already adequate.
Nicola Powell, the barrister leading the prosecution, then held talks with the police officers in the case and with a senior CPS lawyer, and later announced that Tranter’s plea to the lesser charge was acceptable.
She said no evidence would be offered to the charge of arson with intent.
Tranter, aged 26, will be sentenced on July 23 if a probation officer has had time to prepare a report into her background. If the report is not ready by then she is likely to be sentenced via a video link to Caernarfon crown court, where Judge Heywood will be sitting during the last week of July and the first in August.
Tranter will also be sentenced for taking a vehicle without the owner’s consent, failing to provide a specimen for analysis and driving without insurance.
Her barrister, James Jenkins, said she had already entered pleas of guilty to those offences.
Judge Heywood told Tranter she was bound to receive a jail sentence for the arson offence, the only question was how long it would be for.
He said the arson offence was serious but he thought it was a pity that Tranter’s plea of guilty to the lesser charge had not been accepted earlier.
Tranter, a chemistry graduate, continues to be held at Eastwood Park women’s prison near Bristol, where she has been since January.
An earlier court hearing was told that on January 17 Tranter had attended the Hunt Ball with her boyfriend and a friend. While there she had got drunk and snorted a gram of what she believed to be cocaine.
After the ball the couple went back to the Premier Inn where she was locked her out of her room. The hotel receptionist eventually called the police who drove Tranter to her mother’s address in Narberth.
They assumed that she would stay there; however, she then took the keys to her mother’s Peugeot and drove back to the Premier Inn.
More than 100 guests were evacuated from the hotel at around 6.30am on a Sunday morning after a fire on the exterior of a fire door was extinguished by a resident.
Entertainment
Cardigan musician to perform climate fundraiser concert
CLASSICALLY trained Cardigan musician Rosalind Powell will perform a concert of original alternative pop songs next month in aid of Cardigan Extinction Rebellion.
The concert, Singing for the Future, takes place at St Mary’s Old School Hall, Cardigan, on Saturday, June 6, at 7:00pm.
Rosalind, who has a music degree from Cambridge University, is a composer, pianist and teacher of piano, singing and music theory.
The concert will show another side of her musicianship, with a programme of original songs drawn from her three albums, Sound Eagle, Circumference and Dragonfly.
It follows a successful recent launch event for Sound Eagle at the Cellar Bar.
Rosalind said: “Climate change and biodiversity loss are issues that I care deeply about, and I’m so pleased to be able to give my support through music.
“Our future is threatened by the climate and nature crises, but so many people are doing positive things to improve the situation and bring us hope. I’m glad this fundraiser will help towards that.”
Tickets will be available on the door, with a suggested price of £8, although those who cannot afford the full amount can pay less. Teas, coffees and cakes will also be available.
Rosalind’s Sound Eagle album recently received a warm review from The Pit London music site, which described it as “a dreamy and reflective world” and praised its blend of alternative pop, soft jazz influences and classical piano.
Rosalind said she has already been featured on 15 radio stations, will perform at Llangollen Fringe’s Music Around Town event in September, and is planning a West Wales tour later this year.
The concert falls on the first day of Great Big Green Week. Weather permitting, Cardigan Extinction Rebellion will also hold a street stall on Wednesday, June 10, giving away plants, seeds and information about gardening for wildlife.
News
Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident
Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response
A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to Redberth Croft on Tuesday evening (May 19), prompting a road closure while emergency services made the area safe.
The incident happened just off the A477 at Redberth, where a vehicle caught fire and rolled into a hedge and the new entranceway to Redberth Croft.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and successfully extinguished the blaze.

In a statement shared on social media, Redberth Croft thanked firefighters for their rapid response.
The business said: “A huge thank you to the Fire Brigade for their swift response in safely putting out a car fire that rolled into our hedge and new entranceway at Redberth Croft.
“Thankfully nobody was hurt, and we’re incredibly grateful for the professionalism and quick action of the emergency services.”
Photos from the scene show the vehicle completely burnt out, with extensive damage to the engine bay and interior, as firefighters worked nearby.
Motorists were warned to avoid the area while the road remained closed for safety reasons.
Redberth Croft added: “Please be aware that this is just off the A477 next to our new entrance, and the road is currently closed while the area is made safe. Please avoid the area and take care if travelling nearby.”
It is not yet known what caused the fire or whether any other vehicles were involved.

Photo caption:
Burnt out: Fire crews at the scene after a car rolled into the hedge near the entrance to Redberth Croft (Pics: Redberth Croft)
Community
Milford Haven mourns loss of ‘legend’ Muci Power
Tributes pour in for former Lord Kitchener landlord
TRIBUTES have flooded in from across Milford Haven following the death of Alan Edward Thomas “Muci” Power, remembered as a “true legend” and one of the town’s best-known characters.
Mr Power, affectionately known as Muci, passed away suddenly but peacefully at Withybush Hospital on Sunday, May 10, aged 79.
Best known to many as the former landlord of the Lord Kitchener public house in Milford Haven — affectionately known as “The Kitch” — Muci became a familiar and much-loved figure in the town, known for his humour, friendship and larger-than-life personality.
The devoted husband of Meryl, father, grandfather and great-grandfather leaves behind a family at the centre of Milford life, while countless friends have spoken of the memories they shared with him over many years.
The Royal British Legion paid tribute, saying: “Rest in peace, Muci. You will be dearly missed by us all here at the Royal British Legion. Thank you for the memories and your presence in our community. Our thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones during this difficult time.”
Hundreds of tributes have also been posted online, with many describing Muci as a “Milford legend” whose passing marks the end of an era.
Friends remembered good times at The Kitch, where Muci was at the heart of local life for many years.
Ryan Hackett wrote: “Will have a T.A.C. for you mate on Tuesday. Will miss you Matey. Another Milford legend gone.”
Simon Jenkins said: “Muci was one in a million, a true legend. Milford has lost a true gent.”
Many spoke of his warmth and generosity, with Nigel Hackett thanking him for “being there when I needed someone.”
Muci was the devoted husband of Meryl, dearly loved father and father-in-law of Karl and Claire, and Hayley and Roy, proud grandfather of Morgan, Sam, Caitlin and Jay, and adored great-grandfather of Amalie.
His funeral service will take place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth, on Tuesday, May 26, at 11:30am.
For those wishing to pay their respects, the hearse will leave the Lord Kitchener, Charles Street, Milford Haven, at 10:40am.
Immediate family flowers only.
All enquiries to Tom Newing & Sons Ltd, Funeral Directors, Dartmouth Street, Milford Haven, SA73 2AN. Tel: 01646 693180.
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime7 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime7 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime7 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime7 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime7 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime7 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station








Paul
July 9, 2015 at 4:54 pm
Gina Tranter, Tina Tranter or Georgina Tranter? Which is it?
Frank
July 10, 2015 at 6:31 am
@ Paul:
Read the article ..
“Georgina Tranter’s plea of guilty to a lesser charge of arson”
John
July 20, 2015 at 3:12 am
She deserves a decent stretch. Stupid girl.
Adam John
July 21, 2015 at 10:31 am
She’s going to get some lez action inside.
laws about blue lights on vehicles
January 5, 2026 at 9:17 pm
I appreciate the practical advice you’ve given here.