Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Haverfordwest: Rugby Club saddened fireworks company ‘failed to turn up’

Published

on

 

Canceled: Haverfordwest RFC display

Fireworks company failed to turn up: Haverfordwest RFC display

HAVERFORDWEST residents were left disappointed last night when an advertised fireworks display did not take place.

The Bonfire Night display, organised by Haverfordwest RFC, was cancelled after the company employed to organise the display failed to turn up.

Alun Wills, Chairman of the club told The Herald: “Our annual fireworks display is an extremely popular fixture on our events calendar and up until 6.30pm last night we were still in contact with Westcoast Fireworks, but since then we have had no communication from them and no explanation.”

Mr Wills added: “We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and we ask that you pass this message on to any family and friends who attended the club.”

Disappointed customers took to social media to express their disappointment.

Catherine Davies said on Facebook last night: “Absolutely gutted for Haverfordwest RFC who were let down by Westcoast Fireworks tonight with no explanation. They had dropped off equipment last night ready.

“Not only did they not turn up but refused to answer the phone so the club were left in limbo what to tell people. I hope they realise how much preparation from volunteers go into organising an event like this and how many people they have let down.

She added: “Well done Haverfordwest RFC for refunding everyone and apologising but Westcoast it doesn’t make up for all the disappointed children.”

Haverfordwest resident Gemma Dando, who is eight months pregnant, said: “What a crappy day. No fireworks after breaking my back. I stood for an hour and a half. I’m look forward to getting into bed.”

On Facebook Nick Chilton who was working for West Coast Fireworks on the Milford Haven display last night said: “The firer didn’t turn up, West Coast [were] absolutely at capacity for firing displays. We need more trained [staff].”

On Saturday (Nov 7) Matthew sand Lindsey Spencer of West Coast Fireworks released a statement:

They said: “We would like to apologise to everyone who attended the Haverfordwest RFC event on the 5th of November. We wish to extend our apologies to all the children, adults and organisers who went out of their way to attend a once a year event and were let down and left extremely upset and disappointed. There were circumstances beyond our control that unfortunately left us unable to attend.

“We also offer our most sincere apologies to the organisers also for not communicating with them better.

“Our teams are all allocated their displays and each team have their display, equipment & tools prepped and organised ahead of the display and are allocated a vehicle.

“On Wednesday evening we loaded the equipment and tools into a vehicle and transported it to the HRFC site, ready for the next day. This was done to save time during an already busy day. On the morning of November 5 each team collected their vans and equipment as arranged and left at a time suitable to arrive at their designated site. The time arriving on site is dependent on how long it takes to set up and rig the display.

“The team for Whitland and Milford Haven left first thing in the morning as they are our largest displays and take the longest time to erect.

“The HRFC display vehicle was scheduled to leave at 4.30pm and would have been the last one to leave as the equipment had already been dropped off the night before to save time on site on the day.

“Unfortunately due to a catastrophic communication error the HRFC display team failed to collect their vehicle. During the on site build process, all of our phones, lighters or anything that can cause a spark are left in our vehicles for safety. When, by chance, a phone was heard ringing – we were told that the HRFC team had not arrived on site as scheduled. This was around 6.30pm.

“We tried contacting the HRFC Display Team to no avail. We found ourselves in an awkward situation.
Do we: Take crew off other displays, making those displays run late or not happen at all?
Or do we hope the team turns up in time?

“If we had pulled resources from other displays, (Milford Haven/Whitland/Hook/Newcastle Emlyn) then each of those displays would have failed to be ready on time & disappointing more people in the process.

“The HRFC display should have taken 2 hours to build on site and by the time other crew could have got to the site with the products, it would have been at least 7.30pm and the display would not have been ready until 9.30pm at the earliest.

“A decision was made for our crews to stay at their designated sites and to go back to rigging their displays as planned for health and safety reasons, plus they would not have been ready on time, letting down all our other clients too.

“It was not a decision that was made lightly as we never wish to disappoint anyone, let alone all the children who were attending, but it was a choice that had to be made at the time.

“Our biggest failure during the situation, was not communicating our decision to the organisers of the HRFC display as all our crews had gone back to building their displays.

“We strive to provide our clients with the best display possible for the budget that has been allocated to us and our track record is second to none.

“Having been in business many years, it is not a situation we have ever encountered before and never wish to repeat in the future.

“We cannot apologise enough to everyone who attended.

The statement concluded: “HRFC have been loyal clients for many years and we are devastated that we have also let them down.”

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Entertainment

Côr Dyfed to perform Messiah

Published

on

Côr Dyfed

A PERFORMANCE of possibly the greatest of all choral works, Handel’s Messiah, is something to look forward to, especially after the hiatus caused by Covid.

This immensely popular work will be sung by Côr Dyfed Choir in St Davids Cathedral on Saturday December 11th at 7pm.

Acting Music Director Luke Spencer will conduct the choir, with four renowned soloists:

Ros Evans, soprano

Ralph Thomas Williams, countertenor

Peter Wilman, tenor

Stephen Hamnett, bass

With the acclaimed British Sinfonietta accompanying, this opportunity to begin celebrating Christmas in spectacular surroundings promises to be a very special occasion.

Tickets: Front Nave £22, Rear Nave £18, Side Aisles £12 unreserved (Under 16 free)

Available online at www.dyfedchoir.co.uk

Telephone Ticket Source 0333 666 3366* or 01348 840312* (Mon – Sat 10am – 1pm)

*All telephone and online ticket purchases subject to a booking fee

Continue Reading

Community

Ultra-runner demonstrates to never give up on your dreams

Published

on

Rhys O’Mara (Left), Sanna (Centre) and Hollie Thomas (Right)

INSPIRATIONAL speaker Sanna Duthie recently inspired Military and Protective Services learners at the College with her story of running the 186 mile Pembrokeshire Coastal Path in a record breaking 51.5 hours without any sleep, to help raise money for the Welsh Air Ambulance.

Former College learner Sanna Duthie, an office manager by day and active runner by night, shared her experience of running the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path in record breaking time. Sanna had participated in a few marathons over the years such as Tenby Long Course Weekend, the Gower 50 and the London Marathon.

However, the real adrenaline rush to complete the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path was when Sanna competed in a 100 mile race of the coastal path in 2017.

“I realised I wasn’t too bad at that distance and then that’s when I got it in my head about doing the whole thing.”

Running a coastal path isn’t the easiest challenge and Sanna had to be prepared with an extensive training programme running over 300 miles a month equivalent to 10 miles a day. Sanna also had strength and conditioning training at a local gym to ensure her successful recovery.

“Coast running is hard on your muscles and joints and you need to strengthen those in order to not get injured,” said Sanna.

Originally Sanna started to run the entire coastal path in August 2020 but after 63 miles had to abandon the race due to dangerous weather conditions. This only made Sanna more determined and she completed her ultra-run on 8 th May 2021.

Sanna explained the highs and lows of the run, “There were times when I just wanted to quit, and I even started to hallucinate but I used a tactic where rather than focus on the whole run I broke it down into sections – this made things less overwhelming. Close friends and family would join alongside me on different stages of my run, and this motivated me to get to the finish line.”

Protective services learner Rhys O’Mara was thoroughly inspired by Sanna’s story, “I feel like, from the talk, I’m more inspired to go out and push myself to take on bigger and better physical challenges, the talk really showed that you can achieve anything when you dedicate yourself to a task. After College I’m looking to join the RAF as a drone pilot and have a full career in the forces.”

Sanna was the first female to run the entire coastal path and breaking the previous record of 64 hours and 32 minutes and raised an impressive £5,768.14 for charity.

Continue Reading

News

Secondary school staff and pupils must wear face coverings from December 1

Published

on

FOLLOWING the written statement from the Minister for Education yesterday (Monday) evening, all secondary school learners and staff will be required to wear face coverings indoors where physical distancing is not possible. 

Due to the uncertainty of the Omicron variant and the need to keep learning going, Pembrokeshire County Council has taken the decision to implement this Welsh Government Ministerial Decision with effect from tomorrow, Wednesday 1st of December. 

Cllr Guy Woodham, the Cabinet Member for Education & Lifelong Learning said: “Continuing to support learners and staff safety is our top priority. 

“Given that there is still much to be learnt about the Omicron variant it is important that do everything we can to stop the spread of the virus and the use of masks in classrooms and communal areas in secondary schools, where physical distancing is not possible, will allow us to support learners continuing in school settings until the end of term.” 

Using the local decision making framework for schools locally, the agreed risk level remains high with the following additional mitigating measures remaining in place:

·        Floor signage

·        Seating plans for lessons, and forward facing desks wherever possible 

·        Twice weekly Lateral Flow Device testing for all staff and learners in secondary schools

·        Masks must be worn in communal areas in secondary schools, by staff in primary schools, and must be worn by visitors

·        deep cleaning where needed in schools

·        Face coverings required on school transport

·        CO2 Monitors rolled out and used by all schools

Cllr Woodham added: “We thank everyone for playing their part and for your ongoing support during these challenging times.”

In response, Debbie Thomas, Head of Policy at the National Deaf Children’s Society Cymru, said: “Public health should be a priority, but it’s vital to remember that face coverings make life extremely difficult for deaf students. Lip reading becomes impossible and facial expressions are much harder to see, so they could be left struggling to understand their teachers, lecturers and classmates.

“Secondary schools, colleges and universities must act fast and speak to their deaf students immediately, putting reasonable adjustments in place to make sure none of them miss out on their education. If they fall behind in their studies, the consequences could last for years.”

Continue Reading

News14 hours ago

Secondary school staff and pupils must wear face coverings from December 1

FOLLOWING the written statement from the Minister for Education yesterday (Monday) evening, all secondary school learners and staff will be...

News20 hours ago

‘Unpleasant’ trader must pay over £19,000 for shoddy shed work

A MAN who carried out substandard work on a shed in north Pembrokeshire and became unpleasant when challenged has been...

News24 hours ago

Covid-19 cases highest in Tenby; lots of new cases in Neyland and Pembroke Dock

THE NUMBER of Covid-19 infections still taking place in Pembrokeshire is still significant, with the latest figues broken down per...

News2 days ago

Vaccine-sceptic care workers urged to get jabbed to save lives

A SOCIAL CARE leader has urged the minority of vaccine-sceptic care workers in the Hywel Dda Health Authority area  to...

News2 days ago

Woman with broken leg airlifted off Preselis by Coastguard helicopter

A WOMAN who broke her leg whilst out walking on the Preselis was taken to hospital by helicopter after a...

News4 days ago

Firefighters want justice for Josh after leaked shock report

A SHOCKING draft report into the circumstances of the death of a firefighter in Pembrokeshire in 2019 is firmly pointing...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven fast food worker tragically took his own life, inquest hears

A MILFORD HAVEN fast food worker took his own life after drinking a large quantity of alcohol, the local Coroner,...

News5 days ago

Email from Councillor prompts Pembroke Dock mayor to resign

AN EMAIL enquiring to why the Mayor of Pembroke Dock had been absent from his civic duties has led to...

News6 days ago

Reprieve for Cawdor Barracks: Base will not close until 2028

CAWDOR Barracks at Brawdy will remain open until 2028, the Westminster Government announced on Thursday (Nov 25). The Barracks were...

News6 days ago

Wales has ‘worst rail services in the UK’

NEWS that Wales has the worst train services in the UK is disappointing but not at all surprising, the Welsh...

Popular This Week