Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Solva axe attacker jailed for 14 years

Published

on

Swansea Crown Court

A MAN attacked his adoptive father with an axe before chasing him through the streets of Solva and proceeding to attack him for a second time in a pub.

Swan, aged 40, denied attempting to murder David Swan but admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent. He was given a 14 year prison sentence.

Swansea crown court heard that police had inadvertently provided Philip Swan with the weapon and the location of his intended victim.

Swan will serve between six and nine years behind bars but after his eventual release will be liable to be recalled to prison until February, 2030, after Judge Paul Thomas passed an extended sentence.

Ian Wright, prosecuting, said the offending began on July 3 last year at Gloucester railway station.

Swan had set off to attack Mr Swan but was arrested by British Transport Police after getting into a row on the platform with a stranger.

By then Gloucester Police had told him that Mr Swan was living somewhere in Solva.

BTP found the axe in Swan’s rucksack but gave it back to him after he claimed to be “interested in bush craft.”

Swan went home but the following day travelled by train to west Wales. Early on July 5 a warden at St David’s church in Solva found him asleep on a pew.

He asked her where “David and Margery Swan” lived and was innocently directed to Anchor Down.

Swan broke into the property through a window and confronted Mrs Swan, described by Wright as an 89 year old lady suffering from advanced Alkzeimers. She was effectively his grandmother, Mr Swan having married Swan’s mother and later adopting him, but would be wounded during the violence that followed.

Swan set about removing telephone handsets and kitchen knives and hiding them on the top of a fridge and bedroom wardrobes.

About midday Mr Swan arrived but left his partner, Anna Gifford, in his car parked outside.

Mr Wright said as Mr Swan entered the house “he knew immediately that something was wrong.”

Swan ran at him and delivered a blow to his forehead with the axe.

Mr Swan managed to grapple with his son and gained control, but agreed to release him after Swan promised not to resume the attack.

But that was exactly what he did and again struck Mr Swan with the axe as Mrs Swan tried to defend him, suffering leg injuries in the process. A forensic science officer later found blood and “fatty tissue” belonging to Mr Swan in the hall, kitchen and living room.

Miss Gifford heard screams coming from the house and then saw Mr Swan running out with Swan in pursuit.

He chased Mr Swan to The George pub and both entered virtually alongside. Swan hit him to his back with the axe and Mr Swan “screamed in pain.”  Mr Swan was ushered by staff into the kitchen area leaving his son “swinging the axe around above his head.”

Before police could arrive Swan returned to Anchor Down and “touched” the shoulder of Mrs Swan, before returning to the pub, to tell the landlord, “I’ll get fifteen years for this.”

On his return, staff smuggled Mr Swan out of a private door but Swan saw him, approached him and made more threats, before telling a staff member, “It was a hell of a thing to attack someone with an axe when they had put their hands up to defend themselves.

He also said, “The look of fear on my step father’s face was worth it.”

Mr Swan was taken to the critical care unit of Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest, where he spent seven days receiving treatment for a broken arm and “multiple” lacerations.

Police later discovered that Swan had put a photograph of the axe onto his Facebook page.

Questioned by police Swan refused to answer apart from offering to write a statement “that could take months to write.”

During the court hearing Swan repeatedly shouted from the dock and Judge Thomas sent him to the cells below.

James Jenkins, representing Swan, said that, while he had been in Gloucester, “it was sad that the axe had been returned to Swan when it must have been obvious that he was in a state of heightened, nervous tension.”

He added, “The police told him where David Swan lived.”

Judge Thomas said, “So, one police force gave him the axe and another gave him the address.”

Mr Jenkins said Swan had complained “for years” about having being physically abused by his adoptive father when he had been a child.

Judge Thomas said he was unable to decide whether that was true or not.

Mr Jenkins said Swan had indulged in “both legal and illegal highs.” Since his arrest he had been held in custody and was now a “very different man.”

Judge Thomas said Swan’s behaviour was unpredictable, especially after he had taken substances.

He deemed Swan, of no fixed address, to be dangerous, as defined by law.

“There have been numerous occasions in the past when he has lost his temper and become unpredictably violent.”

Judge Thomas said he noted that Swan’s criminal record included a row with a colleague at the store he was working in – Swan pushed her into a meat freezer and locked the door.

Residents of Solva who witnessed his attack on his father “must have been frightened out of their wits,” he added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Pembroke Dock man remanded over solicitor’s office damage

Published

on

ROWAN CLARK, aged 24, of no fixed abode in Pembroke Dock, appeared before magistrates this week accused of criminal damage at a legal office in Pembroke.

The court heard that on Saturday, April 27, 2024, Clark allegedly caused £62 worth of damage to property belonging to Greathead and Whitelock Solicitors, located on Hamilton Terrace.

Clark has pleaded not guilty to the offence and has been remanded in custody ahead of further hearings.

He is due to appear again at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, April 15, via live video link for a case mention, with sentencing scheduled for April 22 if convicted.

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke man remanded after thefts, vehicle interference and criminal damage

Published

on

ROWAN CLARK, aged 24, of Devon Drive, Pembroke, has been remanded in custody following a string of offences in the town including multiple thefts, vehicle interference and damage to public property.

Clark appeared before magistrates in Haverfordwest on Thursday (Mar 27) where he admitted stealing alcohol worth £24 from Bush Hill Service Station on March 8, £27.20 worth of alcohol from Spar on both February 18 and March 18, £34.33 worth of groceries from Spar on February 11, and £21.57 worth of groceries from Bush Hill Service Station on the same date.

He also admitted to interfering with a motor vehicle—a blue Honda—on February 19 with the intent to steal it or items from it.

Additionally, Clark was convicted of criminal damage after smashing windows worth £602.78 belonging to Pembrokeshire County Council on September 16 last year.

Clark was also convicted of failing to attend an assessment for drug misuse on February 8, after testing positive for cocaine.

He has been remanded in custody while reports are prepared and will next appear in court on Tuesday, April 15, via live video link.

Continue Reading

News

NAHT Cymru tells politicians: Get ‘back to basics’ in supporting schools

Published

on

WELSH politicians must abandon costly “vanity projects” such as changing the school year and instead help schools focus on the basics of teaching and learning, according to the school leaders’ union NAHT Cymru.

The call comes as the union launches its 2026 election manifesto at its annual conference in Cardiff today (Apr 2).

NAHT Cymru says it is giving parties early notice ahead of next year’s Senedd elections, urging them to listen to the needs of financially-stricken schools that are struggling to deliver for pupils amid rising pressures.

The manifesto sets out the key challenges facing Welsh schools and outlines what political parties must do to support teachers, school leaders and learners.

Laura Doel, the union’s Wales national secretary, and general secretary Paul Whiteman are addressing delegates at the Cornerstone venue in Cardiff. Other confirmed speakers include Education Secretary Lynne Neagle and Estyn Chief Inspector Owen Evans.

Ms Doel said: “We are urging politicians to get back to basics and help schools focus on what matters – teaching children and young people and preparing them for adulthood.

“At a time when many schools are struggling to make core budgets add up, they have increasingly been left to pick up the slack for under-resourced community services, supporting pupils facing issues from poverty to mental ill-health.

“Too much government time and energy has been wasted on vanity projects like toying with changes to the school year. Our message is clear – don’t overload schools with new initiatives unless you’re providing the support they need to do the basics well.”

A recent NAHT Cymru survey revealed that more than half of school leaders (53%) are predicting a budget deficit this academic year, with many being forced to cut essential services and staff, including teachers.

Key demands in the manifesto include:

  • Fair funding: Address the findings of the Welsh Government’s 2025 funding review, end the postcode lottery in school funding, and restore financial support for small and rural schools.
  • Recruitment and retention: Restore teacher and leader pay to 2010 levels after real-terms cuts and fully fund pay rises so schools can afford them.
  • Wraparound services: Support local authorities to rebuild vital services such as social care and mental health, ensuring schools are not left to fill the gap alone.
  • Mental health: Invest in mental health support teams, school-based counselling, and creative therapies in all education settings.
  • Additional Learning Needs (ALN): Properly resource schools to meet the ALN Code or revise the code to reflect what is realistically achievable, and ensure ALN coordinators receive appropriate recognition and pay, as recommended by the Independent Welsh Pay Review Body.
  • Workload reduction: Honour agreements made with unions to reduce staff workload and assess the impact of any new policies on staff pressures.

NAHT Cymru’s newly appointed president, Dafydd Jones, head teacher at Ysgol Melyd in Prestatyn, said: “Teachers and school leaders do not have sufficient funding, resources or support to focus on what matters most – teaching and supporting pupils.

“It’s time to trust the professionals, allow reforms time to bed in, and give schools the resources they need to thrive – not more political tinkering.”

Paul Whiteman, general secretary of NAHT, added: “Our school leaders in Wales and their teams are dedicated professionals who care deeply about providing the best education possible.

“But it often feels like they’re being asked to do it with one hand tied behind their backs. Their resilience is remarkable, but it’s becoming harder to sustain. We need a clear commitment from all political parties to properly fund and support schools.

Continue Reading

Charity1 hour ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business13 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime19 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News21 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week