Connect with us


Goodwick seal historic treble with draw at Hakin



IMG_8344GOODWICK UNITED are champions of the Pembrokeshire League after they drew 1-1 with Hakin United on Friday night.

One of the biggest crowds ever for a Pembrokeshire League game gathered at the Observatory Field and they were treated to an excellent game.

Goodwick didn’t have it all their own way as they were a goal and a man down before securing the point they needed to win the league.

The draw also seals a memorable and historic treble following their successes in the West Wales Cup and the Senior Cup.

Going into the game Hakin knew they needed a win to seal a fourth-straight title in what was manager Gary Dawes’ last game in charge of the club.

Goodwick started the game well with Chris O’Sullivan going close with a free kick before Johnny Horgan headed wide after Rhys Dalling’s cross.

Hakin grew into the game and almost scored when Matthew Broome squared the ball for Ben Steele but his shot was over the bar.

James Stanmore came closest to scoring after 27 minutes but James Gwilt produced a stunning one-handed save to deny the fierce effort, which was heading for the top corner, before getting up to stop the rebound from Nicky Woodrow.

Stanmore then crossed into the box but Gwilt made another excellent save to deny Woodrow again.

Then with ten minutes to go until half time Hakin made the break through as Ashley Bevan played a neat through ball for Nicky Woodrow who ran on to slot the ball under the keeper.IMG_8296

They almost doubled their lead soon after but Bevan’s low drive was tipped round the post.

It remained 1-0 at half time but Goodwick knew they just needed a goal to put the title back in their hands.

Within two minutes of the restart Hakin should have doubled their lead again when Woodrow was put through but he blazed his shot wide of the right hand post.

Woodrow was at it again moments later crossing to the back post and with no one on the end of it the ball dropped just wide of the post.

Both sides were giving their all but ten minutes into the second half tempers boiled over when a late tackle came in.

Players squared up to each other and Chris O’Sullivan appeared to lean his head towards a Hakin player and after talking with his linseman, referee Angus Scourfield produced a red card for the midfielder.

IMG_8315After both sides had calmed down play resumed and Ben Steele came close but his shot was saved by Gwilt.

With twenty minutes to go Goodwick equalised despite being a man down as Adam Raymond’s free kick was headed in by Kieran O’Brien.

That goal meant Goodwick were back in pole position but Hakin responded well.

Ashley Bevan crossed for Nicky Woodrow but after he turned his shot was saved by Gwilt.

Matthew Broome sent a free kick into the box and Ashley Bevan’s header went over off the bar but it wouldn’t have counted had it gone in with the linesman raising his flag for offside.

Going into the final ten minutes, Goodwick seemed content to keep the ball in the corner but Hakin piled forward whenever they got the chance.

After seeing a header go narrowly over, Bevan had another free kick two minutes from time but his curled effort was headed away.

Goodwick held on and the final whistle went to spark jubilant scenes among the players, coaches and many fans who had made the trip from Goodwick.IMG_8328

Speaking after the match Goodwick manager Nigel Delaney said: “Unbelievable. We’ve won the treble, it’s never been done before and to win the league down here is just unbelievable.

“We had a bit of a chat at half time because we didn’t come out of the changing rooms, the team were well under the kosh and they were well on top. We needed to score a goal, we only needed the draw, we knew we’d get a chance and in the end we got the chance and defended like Trojans.”

Asked what’s next for Goodwick, Nigel added: “I don’t know really, this has never been done before and will probably never be done again, it’s just unbelievable.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Signed Wales shirts gifted to RNLI go up for auction



FOLLOWING a winning start to the Six Nations Tournament, the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) have scored a winning try for the RNLI, gifting six signed rugby shirts to help save lives at sea.

Each rugby shirt has been signed by the full WRU squad and are accompanied by a certificate of authentication – a winning prize for any Welsh rugby fan.

To avoid a ruck for the WRU shirts the charity has placed all six signed shirts on an online auction, ensuring a fair game for all who wish to win the golden prize. The auction will be live until Wednesday, March 31, which allows plenty of time for supporters to bid for the team in red.

Each signed shirt includes Wales Captain, Mumbles RNLI supporter and the most capped international player of all time Alun Wyn Jones; as well as Louis Rees-Zammit, the Man of the Match in the nail-biting Scotland v Wales game.

Nick Evans, RNLI Fundraising and Partnership Lead said: ‘On behalf of the charity I would like to say a big thank you to the Welsh Rugby Union for donating these fantastic prizes to the RNLI. RNLI volunteers are on call 24-7 and are often called away from important events such as family celebrations – or international rugby tournaments – to respond to the pager if someone is in trouble at sea.

‘Like all charities, 2020 was a challenging year for the RNLI when all traditional fundraising had to stop – all our shops were closed, there were no collections and all events had to be cancelled. This is why we at the RNLI are so grateful to all the team at WRU for their ongoing support. The auction is now live and we would like to encourage all Wales rugby supporters to throw the RNLI a lifeline and place their bid for the winning prize.’

To place a bid or find out more about the charity auction please visit

Continue Reading


Five subs to be allowed for JD Cymru Premier clubs



THE FAW’s National Leagues Board has confirmed that JD Cymru Premier clubs will be permitted to make five substitutions in matches, in accordance with the Laws of the Game, until the end of the 2020-21 top-flight season.

FIFA extended the use of the rule, which was first introduced following the COVID-19 outbreak, citing “player welfare” as part of the reason for the temporary amendment to Law 3 of the Laws of the Game.

FIFA stated that “Some competitions which resumed in 2020 may have a shorter-than-usual recovery/preparation period before the start of their next season.”

“For many competitions, the 2020/21 season will involve matches being played in a condensed period due to a delayed start and the inability to end later than usual because of major international tournaments.”

With the JD Cymru Premier set to restart on March 2, the National Leagues Board has approved the use of the rule in the JD Cymru Premier until the end of the current campaign.

Continue Reading


Haverfordwest County’s remaining phase 1 fixtures released



HAVERFORDWEST County will return to action on Saturday, March 6, with a home game against Cardiff Met University.

The JD Cymru Premier has been granted elite status by the National Sports Group once again and the FAW has announced the rescheduled fixtures.

The first fixture upon the return will see Newtown AFC host Penybont on Tuesday, March 2, 2021 live on Facebook via Sgorio’s platforms.

Bala Town travel to The New Saints on Sgorio on March 6, 2021 with a 5pm kick off.

This will be followed by a full host of fixtures on Saturday, March 6, 2021.

The new calendar sees clubs play their final six matches of Phase One, which is now due to be completed on April 4, 2021.

Haverfordwest County’s remaining fixtures for phase 1 are listed below.

March 6 – 14:30

Haverfordwest County FC v Cardiff Met University FC

March 9 – 19:45

Aberystwyth Town FC v Haverfordwest County FC

March 13 – 14:30

Haverfordwest County FC v The New Saints FC

March 20 – 14:30

Connah’s Quay Nomads FC v Haverfordwest County FC

March 27 – 14:30

Newtown AFC v Haverfordwest County FC

April 2 – 17:00

Penybont FC v Haverfordwest County FC

Continue Reading
News4 hours ago

Trial date for son accused of killing mum

THE SON of Judith Rhead, 68, who was found dead in her home in Market Street, Pembroke Dock on Feb...

Business2 days ago

Natural Resources Wales approves Ireland-UK interconnector licence

GREENLINK INTERCONNECTOR LIMITED says it welcomes the decision by Natural Resources Wales (NRW) to approve its application for a Marine...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Apocalyptic scenes as work truck catches fire in Meyler Crescent

A MILFORD HAVEN businessman says that he is “absolutely gutted”, after he lost his tipper truck in a dramatic fire...

News5 days ago

Covid-19 vaccination venues and timeline announced for everyone locally over 50

EVERY person in JCVI priority groups 5 to 9 will be offered a COVID-19 vaccination by 18 April, Hywel Dda...

News6 days ago

Cyclist killed on A40 was serving police officer, force confirms

A CYCLIST who died after a crash with a van on the A40 in Carmarthenshire was a serving police officer...

News6 days ago

Police at scene of RTC – officers seeking witnesses

POLICE in Milford Haven are making door to door enquiries in the Great North Road area following an accident involving...

News1 week ago

Postmaster and politicians welcome Goodwick cash machine U-turn

GOODWICK post office will now be keeping its ATM, after a U-turn by Post Office Ltd. The machine was due...

News1 week ago

Judith Rhead murder: Police appeal to public for information

DYFED-POWYS POLICE can confirm it is appealing for information after the death of a 68-year-old woman from Pembroke Dock. Judith...

News1 week ago

Dale Morgan charged with murder of Judith Rhead, police confirm

DYFED POWYS POLICE have charged a man in connection with the alleged murder of 68 year old Judith Rhead who...

News1 week ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

Popular This Week