Connect with us


Team Manager for Wales U20, U18 and 7s appointed



Sara Davies: New Team Manager and Coordinator of Wales Men 7s, U20 and U18

Sara Davies: New Team Manager and Coordinator of Wales Men 7s, U20 and U18

THE WELSH RUGBY UNION is pleased to announce that Sara Davies has been appointed as Team Manager and Coordinator of Wales Men 7s, U20 and U18.

Davies rejoins the WRU after five years at Newport Gwent Dragons, where most recently she held the role of Team Manager. The former Wales Women U19 international has previously worked for the WRU, including a two year role as Wales Women U20 Team Manager.

“I’m delighted to be joining the WRU at what is an exciting time for the organisation across the board,” said Davies. “I’d like to thank the Dragons for the experience I’ve had with them in what has been a very satisfying stage of my career.

“I’m thoroughly enjoying getting stuck into this new role already, working with the management teams and liaising with the Regions, Principality Premiership teams and other bodies to ensure our international teams are as well prepared as possible on and off the field.”

Head of Rugby Performance, Geraint John, commented: “We’re really pleased to welcome Sara back to the WRU in what is a new role for the rugby department.

“With the alignment of the responsibilities for the representative teams and Sara’s rugby experience in the professional game in Wales, it will help drive the teams forward.

“She’s going to play a big part in ensuring player welfare and working with all the management teams to ensure a high performance culture runs throughout the various WRU programmes.”

Stuart Davies, Chief Executive of Newport Gwent Dragons, said: “We are sorry to see Sara leave, but unsurprised to see this opportunity arising for her given how well she’s undertaken the Team Manager role at the Dragons. We wish her every success in her new role.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Saundersfoot claim first win



SAUNDERSFOOT claimed their first win of the season on Saturday (Jun 12) as they beat St Ishmaels by nine wickets.

Saundersfoot won the toss and elected to field and that proved to be a good decision as they were able to bowl Tish out for 108 inside 29 overs.

Sam Frankin finished with excellent figures of 6-22 and he made the breakthrough as he had Daniel Richards caught by Danny Caine.

Franklin also had Harry Nicholas caught by Tudor Hurle before Franklin returned again to trap Philip Cockburn leg before.

That left Tish on 15-3 before Brennan Devonald and Jack Nicholas shared 35 runs as they looked to get their side going again.

However, Franklin then had Devonald caught by Yannic Parker on a score of 14 to reduce Tish to 50-4.

Nicholas and Andrew Pawlett then added another 20 runs to the total but it was Franklin again who brought the partnership to an end as he bowled Pawlett on a score of 17.

Franklin then claimed his sixth as he bowled Ieuan Hawkins.

Nicholas and Robbie Thomas added 21 runs for the seventh wicket but this time it was Hurle who made the breakthrough as he had Nicholas caught by Tom Mansbridge.

Nicholas had hit five fours and a six in a score of 35 and wickets continued to fall once he departed.

Neil Powling had the wickets of James Hall and Peter Thomas while John Mansbridge caught and bowled Thomas on a score of 20 to bring the innings to a close.

It meant that Saundersfoot would need 109 to win and they made a great start to their reply.

Tom Mansbridge and Danny Caine shared 71 runs for the first wicket to set up the win for their side.

Mansbridge hit five fours in a score of 27 but he was then caught by Ieuan Hawkins off the bowling of Robbie Thomas.

They were unable to take any further wickets though as Caine and Sam Franklin saw the home side over the line.

Franklin finished unbeaten on 10 while Caine hit six fours and three sixes in a score of 60 not out.

Continue Reading


Banner and Sutton steer Neyland to win



NATHAN Banner and Ashley Sutton maintained Neyland’s unbeaten start to the 2021 league season as they helped their side beat Cresselly on Saturday (Jun 12).

Neyland won the toss and elected to field first and they were able to bowl Cresselly out for 181.

Cresselly’s Simon Cole top scored with 73 while Ryan Lewis fell three runs short of a half century on 47.

Banner finished with good figures of 3-24 from his overs while Nick Koomen also claimed two wickets.

Cresselly claimed the wickets of openers Koomen and Patrick Bellerby to leave Neyland on 14-2 but that was as good as it got for the visitors.

Tom Murphy had Koomen caught by Matthew Morgan while Ryan Lewis bowled Patrick Bellerby.

Banner and Sutton shared an excellent stand worth 168 runs to send the home side to victory.

Sutton hit nine fours and a six as he scored 66 while Banner was his side’s top scorer with nine fours and two sixes in his knock of 89.

The win sees Neyland increase their lead over Cresselly in the table to 19 points.

Continue Reading


Lawrenny end Neyland’s Duggie dominance with quarter final win



LAWRENNY are through to the semi-finals of the Duggie Morris Cup after beating Neyland by seven wickets on Friday night (Jun 11).

It means there will be a new name on the trophy for the first time since 2017 after Neyland won the 2018 and 2019 tournaments. The Duggie Morris was not played in 2020.

Rain had caused the game to be postponed on Thursday and it was no surprise when Lawrenny elected to field on winning the toss on Friday.

Jamie Lewis had Nick Koomen caught early on and Rob Williams bowled Ashley Sutton on an unlucky 13.

It left the holders on 18-2 but Gregg Miller and Nathan Banner rebuilt the innings with a fine stand of 72 for the third wicket.

Miller hit four fours and a six in a score of 40 from 32 balls but he was then caught by Joe Kidney off the bowling of Kurtis Marsh.

That sparked a mini-collapse as Neyland soon found themselves on 93-5.

Banner had hit two fours and a six in his score of 30 but he was caught off the bowling of Ryan Morton and soon after, Ross Hardy fell in similar fashion.

The runs seemed to dry up for Neyland and Morton soon claimed the wickets of Brad McDermott-Jenkins and Sean Hannon to take the score to 110-7. Morton’s excellent bowling saw him claim figures of 4-31.

Patrick Hannon and George Evans finished not out on scores of 5 and 8 respectively as they helped Neyland to 123-7 from their 20 overs.

In reply, Harry Thomas and Kurtis Marsh shared an opening stand of 50 runs to put the home side in a strong position.

Brad McDermott-Jenkins made the breakthrough for Neyland as he had Thomas caught by Nathan Banner on a score of 24.

Ross Hardy then trapped James Phillips leg before for a second ball duck to take the score to 51-2.

Marsh and Steve Lewis then shared another 43 runs as they edged Lawrenny towards their target.

Marsh reached his half century but then saw Lewis caught by Banner off the bowling of Jack John on a score of 11.

That was as good as it got for Neyland as Marsh and Ryan Morton took Lawrenny to victory.

Morton hit two fours and a six in a score of 20 from 18 balls but Marsh was the star of the innings with nine fours and a six in a score of 65 from 45 balls.

Lawrenny will now play Llangwm in the semi-final at Pembroke Dock in the week commencing June 28.

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Public urged to have say on second homes and empty properties policies

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has begun a consultation exercise on the authority’s policies relating to second homes and long term empty...

News14 hours ago

Tributes to victim as police confirm fatal workshop fire in Sageston

POLICE have confirmed that a workshop fire in Sageston over the weekend was sadly fatal and is now being investigated...

News15 hours ago

One dead and three seriously injured in road traffic accident on B4341

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed it is investigating a fatal road traffic collision which occurred on the B4341 between Haverfordwest and...

Business1 day ago

Castell Howell Foods highlights sector concerns over Covid recovery

THE HOSPITALITY sector may be opening up, but transport and supply issues are hampering the industry’s recovery – according to...

News3 days ago

Port boss: Pembroke Dock development full permission an ‘important step’

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Port of Milford Haven has welcomed a decision of “non-intervention” by the Welsh Government over...

News3 days ago

Medical evacuation from LPG tanker off St Ann’s Head

ANGLE Lifeboat was launched on service at 12:59pm on Thursday afternoon (Jun 10) to assist in a medical evacuation from...

News4 days ago

Milford Haven child sex offender Colin Sharpe jailed for 10 years

A MILFORD HAVEN child abuser sat crying in court as details of his four-year long abuse of a schoolgirl were...

News6 days ago

Police on patrol near key industry infrastructure

OPERATION SERVATOR patrols were carried out on Wednesday morning (Jun )  with the Joint Firearms Unit and the roads policing...

News6 days ago

Paul Davies raises marina hotel development in Senedd chamber

A NEW hotel development in Milford Haven has been raised in the Senedd Chamber by local Member Paul Davies. Mr...

News6 days ago

Police looking for missing Pembrokeshire teenager [Update: Girl has been found]

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for help to find 15-year-old Rosie Suvarna-Umeanozie who is missing after travelling from Tenby to London...

Popular This Week