Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Dafydd Elis Thomas quits Plaid Cymru

Published

on

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-13-41-23PLAID CYMRU’S status as the official opposition to Labour in the Senedd was cast into uncertainty last Friday (Oct 14) after one of their most senior figures left the party less than six months after fighting an election as a Plaid AM.

Dafydd Elis Thomas, who has represented Plaid Cymru for 18 years at Westminster, 17 years in the Senedd, and four years in the House of Lords, informed his local party that he would subsequently sit as an independent in the Welsh Assembly. He is the second AM to leave their party group this year, following the prolonged saga of UKIP’s Nathan Gill.

Sources close to Lord Elis Thomas have suggested that he felt Plaid Cymru should have been more supportive of the Welsh Labour Government. Following his departure, the two parties agreed a draft budget which included £119m allocated to Plaid Cymru priority areas of spending.

Speaking to the BBC, Lord Elis Thomas said: “It was clear to me that the Plaid group in the National Assembly was not willing to seriously participate in government and to give Wales a stable government, particularly after the decisions taken in Wales and elsewhere about our future relationship with the European Union.

“There is a serious constitutional challenge now and we might well lose powers from Wales,” he added.

“I think all pro-devolutionists should be working together to ensure that doesn’t happen.”

The peer’s relationship with Leanne Wood, who defeated him in a 2012 leadership election, was also thought to have contributed to his decision. As Presiding Officer, Lord Elis Thomas ordered Ms Wood to leave the Chamber after the republican referred to Queen Elizabeth as ‘Mrs Windsor’. Ms Wood sacked Lord Elis Thomas from the front bench in 2014 after he publicly criticised the party’s stance on UKIP.

Plaid Cymru lost no time in calling for a by-election following Lord Elis-Thomas’ announcement. A party statement released shortly afterwards said: “Plaid Cymru will begin the process of selecting a new candidate in Dwyfor Meirionnydd following Dafydd Elis-Thomas’s decision to leave the Plaid Cymru Assembly group.

“Constituents, who Dafydd Elis- Thomas misled in the recent Assembly election, will expect a by-election to be held at the earliest convenience.”

A petition was also launched calling for him to resign and call a by-election. It claimed that Lord Elis-Thomas was ‘elected through the hard work and financial resources of Plaid Cymru’s local activists.

‘The electorate of Dwyfor Meirionnydd deserve the opportunity to voice their opinions on this through the ballot box’, the petition added. This was supported on social media by Dwyfor Merionnydd MP Liz Saville Roberts.

However, as UKIP found out, Lord Elis-Thomas is under no obligation to resign, and has said that he will be better-placed to serve his constituency now that he no longer has to toe the party line. Given that toeing the party line was hardly one of his strong points, it would be fair to suggest that Plaid Cymru’s Senedd group will not receive a great deal of support from their former colleague.

The question which has been asked by several political commentators is which party now holds the role of official opposition in Wales. Plaid Cymru and the Conservatives now have 11 seats apiece – compared to six UKIP AMs, two independents, and one Lib Dem.

The answer is that no one seems quite sure. A Plaid Cymru source suggested that, while the parties had the same number of seats, the Party of Wales had registered more votes. However, it is unclear whether this will make any difference.

The Welsh Conservatives, on the other hand, made light of the official opposition title they proudly held during the Fourth Assembly, with one source memorably describing it as ‘bald men fighting over a comb’.

However, they suggested that this would be a fight the party would be willing to participate in, by calling for the title to be shared or dropped.

Given that joint official opposition in a legislature which contains three major parties and UKIP is hardly a title worthy of boasting, it could well be the case that both parties refer to themselves as the opposition, while the official aspect is quietly dropped.

Of far more importance to the day-to-day running of the Assembly will be the changes made to committee place and chair allocations, but at the time of going to press, this had not been resolved.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Funding boost to tackle child poverty across Wales

Published

on

FAMILIES living on lower incomes in Wales are set to benefit from a new £1.5 million Welsh Government fund aimed at tackling child poverty.

Applications have opened for the Child Poverty Innovation and Supporting Communities Grant, which supports public and third sector organisations to work together to improve the lives of children in low-income households.

Previous rounds of funding have already helped reshape communities. In Rhondda Cynon Taf, the Trivallis housing association’s ‘Rise Strong’ project has seen families lead the way in designing local services based on their own needs.

In Cae Fardre, residents with no previous community space have created a thriving hub where families now take part in budget cooking classes and social activities. In Penrhys, the grant has supported the revival of the Penrhys Carnival, with families learning media, art, and costume-making skills and staging a fashion show using recycled materials.

Jen O’Hara Jakeway, Head of Community Involvement at Trivallis, said: “The funding has helped families come together to share ideas and find ways to build on their strengths to make a difference in their own communities. Being alongside them as they take the lead and drive that change has taught us so much about the potential in our communities.”

The Cabinet Secretary for Social Justice, Jane Hutt, said: “This funding puts resources directly where they make the greatest difference to families on lower incomes. We’re determined to do all we can to prevent people from going into poverty and help those who need support the most.

“Since 2022, we’ve invested nearly £5 billion in schemes which help people access their entitlements and help put money back into people’s pockets by boosting incomes and strengthening financial support. Our Child Poverty Strategy sets out actions to tackle poverty, including delivering more community-based opportunities for play, sports, youth activities and access to arts and culture for children and families.”

Organisations can apply for up to £25,000 for community projects or up to £125,000 for regional projects involving more than one local authority.

Applications close on Sunday (Apr 13). For details, visit: gov.wales.

Continue Reading

News

NAHT Cymru tells politicians: Get ‘back to basics’ in supporting schools

Published

on

WELSH politicians must abandon costly “vanity projects” such as changing the school year and instead help schools focus on the basics of teaching and learning, according to the school leaders’ union NAHT Cymru.

The call comes as the union launches its 2026 election manifesto at its annual conference in Cardiff today (Apr 2).

NAHT Cymru says it is giving parties early notice ahead of next year’s Senedd elections, urging them to listen to the needs of financially-stricken schools that are struggling to deliver for pupils amid rising pressures.

The manifesto sets out the key challenges facing Welsh schools and outlines what political parties must do to support teachers, school leaders and learners.

Laura Doel, the union’s Wales national secretary, and general secretary Paul Whiteman are addressing delegates at the Cornerstone venue in Cardiff. Other confirmed speakers include Education Secretary Lynne Neagle and Estyn Chief Inspector Owen Evans.

Ms Doel said: “We are urging politicians to get back to basics and help schools focus on what matters – teaching children and young people and preparing them for adulthood.

“At a time when many schools are struggling to make core budgets add up, they have increasingly been left to pick up the slack for under-resourced community services, supporting pupils facing issues from poverty to mental ill-health.

“Too much government time and energy has been wasted on vanity projects like toying with changes to the school year. Our message is clear – don’t overload schools with new initiatives unless you’re providing the support they need to do the basics well.”

A recent NAHT Cymru survey revealed that more than half of school leaders (53%) are predicting a budget deficit this academic year, with many being forced to cut essential services and staff, including teachers.

Key demands in the manifesto include:

  • Fair funding: Address the findings of the Welsh Government’s 2025 funding review, end the postcode lottery in school funding, and restore financial support for small and rural schools.
  • Recruitment and retention: Restore teacher and leader pay to 2010 levels after real-terms cuts and fully fund pay rises so schools can afford them.
  • Wraparound services: Support local authorities to rebuild vital services such as social care and mental health, ensuring schools are not left to fill the gap alone.
  • Mental health: Invest in mental health support teams, school-based counselling, and creative therapies in all education settings.
  • Additional Learning Needs (ALN): Properly resource schools to meet the ALN Code or revise the code to reflect what is realistically achievable, and ensure ALN coordinators receive appropriate recognition and pay, as recommended by the Independent Welsh Pay Review Body.
  • Workload reduction: Honour agreements made with unions to reduce staff workload and assess the impact of any new policies on staff pressures.

NAHT Cymru’s newly appointed president, Dafydd Jones, head teacher at Ysgol Melyd in Prestatyn, said: “Teachers and school leaders do not have sufficient funding, resources or support to focus on what matters most – teaching and supporting pupils.

“It’s time to trust the professionals, allow reforms time to bed in, and give schools the resources they need to thrive – not more political tinkering.”

Paul Whiteman, general secretary of NAHT, added: “Our school leaders in Wales and their teams are dedicated professionals who care deeply about providing the best education possible.

“But it often feels like they’re being asked to do it with one hand tied behind their backs. Their resilience is remarkable, but it’s becoming harder to sustain. We need a clear commitment from all political parties to properly fund and support schools.

Continue Reading

News

Wales faces deepening housing crisis as new figures show drop in home building

Published

on

Welsh Conservatives blame Labour for continued shortfall in new homes

THE LATEST housing figures from the Welsh Government have revealed a sharp drop in house building across Wales, deepening concerns over what opposition politicians are calling a “self-made housing crisis”.

Data covering the period from October to December 2024 shows that only 1,116 new dwellings were started in Wales — a 27% decrease compared to the same period the previous year. Completions also dropped, with just 1,336 new homes completed, a 12% fall from the previous year.

The figures have sparked renewed criticism from the Welsh Conservatives, who accuse the Labour-led Welsh Government of failing to prioritise housing policy effectively.

Laura Anne Jones MS, the Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Housing & Local Government, said the latest numbers highlighted a deepening problem.

“These latest figures highlight Labour’s self-made housing crisis in Wales,” she said.

“Labour simply aren’t building enough suitable homes and hardworking people are struggling to get on the housing ladder. Their obsession with second homes and their toxic tourism tax are the wrong priorities for Wales. The Welsh Conservatives would ensure more homes are built and empty homes are brought back into use.”

Drop across all sectors

The Welsh Government’s statistical bulletin confirms a decrease in house building across all tenures — private sector, social housing, and local authority-led construction.

The biggest fall was seen in the private sector, which accounted for 62% of all new dwelling completions but saw a 15% year-on-year decrease in total numbers. Social housing completions fell by 6%, and the small number of homes built by local authorities (only 62 units) represented a 13% fall on the same period the year before.

The slowdown comes amid wider concerns about housing affordability, population growth, and the availability of construction labour and materials.

Tourism tax and second homes policy under fire

The Welsh Conservatives have linked the slowdown to what they describe as Labour’s “misguided” focus on issues like second homes and tourism levies. The proposed visitor levy — sometimes referred to as a “tourism tax” — would allow local authorities to charge overnight visitors in a bid to generate revenue for communities affected by high levels of tourism.

Critics say the move could damage the rural economy and does nothing to address the underlying issue of housing supply.

In contrast, Labour ministers argue the measures are designed to help address the affordability crisis in areas where second home ownership has driven up house prices and left local people priced out.

Julie James MS, Minister for Climate Change with responsibility for housing, has previously defended the Welsh Government’s approach, saying efforts are underway to bring empty properties back into use and expand affordable housing through innovative schemes.

Rural communities hit hardest

The figures are particularly concerning for rural areas such as Pembrokeshire, Gwynedd, and Ceredigion, where housing demand remains high but new developments are often held back by planning delays and community opposition.

With fewer than 4,800 homes started across Wales in the whole of 2024, housing charities have also raised concerns that the government is unlikely to meet its target of delivering 20,000 new low-carbon homes for rent during this Senedd term.

Shelter Cymru and other housing organisations have repeatedly warned of a worsening crisis in homelessness and temporary accommodation, as local councils struggle to keep pace with rising demand.

Political pressure mounting

With the next Senedd elections coming up in 2026, housing is likely to remain a key political battleground.

The Welsh Conservatives are calling for:

  • A national strategy to bring empty homes back into use
  • A review of planning laws to streamline development approvals
  • Greater investment in infrastructure to support new housing schemes

Meanwhile, Labour will continue to argue that their policies are geared toward long-term sustainability and fairness — especially in communities where local people have been priced out by the second home market.

But with house building in decline and demand on the rise, pressure is growing on ministers in Cardiff Bay to act swiftly before the housing gap becomes unbridgeable.

Continue Reading

Charity2 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business13 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime20 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News21 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week