News
Students strengthen Lesotho link
YSGOL Dewi Sant head boy Rhys Jones and head girl Ebony Owen are to spearhead a special fact-finding delegation from St Davids to the Royal Village of Matsieng, Lesotho next spring half term.
The visit, which is being organised by the St Davids Matsieng Link group, is planned to strengthen and broaden the link between the two communities which was first set up in 1999, when the Queen Mother of Lesotho paid a week long visit to St Davids.
Since then there have been regular visits to St Davids, especially at St Davidstide by the late Queen’s second son, Prince Seeiso, who until recently was Lesotho’s High Commissioner in London, while here in St Davids the support group has raised substantial sums of money to assist aids orphaned students at Matsieng’s secondary school.
The former St Davids Church in Wales primary school also at one time made links with St Matthews primary school in Matsieng when Mr Raymond Griffiths was head teacher.
The purpose of this new visit, which will be lead by the chairman of the group, St Davids City Councillor Chris Taylor, will be to explore all avenues for strengthening and updating the link, especially with the younger generation. High on the agenda will be visits to Moshoeshoe II High School in Matsieng, and also some of the local primary schools.
Both Rhys and Ebony are keen members of their Young Farmers Clubs, and they also hope to visit local farms in the area, as well as looking at other aspects of the local economy such as manufacturing, administration and tourism
“Our charitable work is very important, and will continue to be a significant part of our role in the future,” Chris Taylor told The Pembrokeshire Herald, “but we want the link to go much further than this. We want to build real links and bonds with our opposite numbers, and there will also be much that they can contribute to us. Twinning if it is to have any long term meaning has to be a two way process, and this is what we are hoping to initiate during this visit.”
Making up the fourth member of the party will be Ysgol Dewi Sant English teacher Eleanor Walker who will help to co-ordinate the school’s involvement in the visit.
The group is receiving considerable practical assistance from Dolen Cymru, the national organisation which co-ordinates links between Wales and Lesotho, and also from Wales Africa Community Links which is generously assisting with the costs of the journey to Lesotho.
“One of the unfortunate things is that we will be travelling back to St Davids on St Davids Day,” said Chris Taylor, “but I hope that we will be able to have an advance celebration before we leave. One thing I do know is that because of Dolen Cymru’s long standing involvement with Lesotho, the locals are very used to, and by all accounts very good at, celebrating our national Saint’s Day!”
It is hoped that Ysgol Bro Dewi will not be left out of the overall twinning with Matsieng, and plans are already afoot for Dolen Cymru to set up a teacher exchange between one of the primary schools there and St Davids.
Community
Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in Welsh waters.
Surfers, paddleboarders, swimmers and families gathered on the beach on Saturday, with banners calling for cleaner seas and an end to pollution incidents affecting rivers and coastal waters.
The protest was part of the Surfers Against Sewage campaign, with demonstrators carrying placards reading “Keep the sea clean”, “Stop the pollution” and “Cut the crap”.
Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell attended the demonstration and made a speech supporting calls for tougher action. He has also recently written to Welsh Water raising concerns about pollution and water quality in the Tenby area.

Local community councillor Jeff Tierney, who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, said he fully supported the campaign.
Cllr Tierney said: “As a surfer, local community councillor and someone who works on and in the water at Abereiddy, I fully support the Surfers Against Sewage campaign.
“We are lucky at Abereiddy our water is excellent, but it’s clear the water companies have failed to invest adequately in ageing infrastructure over the past decades, allowing unregulated sewage discharges, poorly maintained drains and outdated treatment systems to become the norm.
“The result is that some of the treatment works are completely overwhelmed with sewage now effectively bypassing the treatment process, resulting in some rivers and coastal areas at times becoming unsafe and hazardous for swimmers, surfers, fishermen and other water users.

“Clean water should not be viewed as a luxury. It’s essential for public health, tourism, local livelihoods and the environment.
“The more this issue is brought into the public domain to make the public aware and put pressure on Natural Resources Wales to do their job properly, the better.”
Campaigners said the issue is no longer just an environmental concern, but one affecting public health, tourism, local businesses and confidence in Wales’ coastal waters.
Broad Haven, like many Pembrokeshire beaches, is central to the county’s identity and visitor economy.
Saturday’s protest showed the strength of feeling among those who use the sea regularly and believe not enough is being done to protect it.

Health
New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances
PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.
Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.
The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.
Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.
But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.
Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.
For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.
While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.
Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.
The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.
Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.
But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.
Crime
Man used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco
A 41-YEAR-OLD man has been given a suspended prison sentence after using a vulnerable man’s bank card at Tesco Extra in Milford Haven.
Mark Anthony Hambrook, of Keeston, admitted fraud by false representation when he appeared before magistrates.
The court heard that Hambrook dishonestly used the card on April 29, 2025, spending £220.
Magistrates said the offence crossed the custody threshold because it involved a breach of trust, a vulnerable victim, and was committed while Hambrook was on post-sentence supervision.
He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.
Hambrook was also ordered to pay £220 compensation, together with a £154 surcharge and £85 costs.
-
News2 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime4 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime4 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime4 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime4 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Community6 days agoConcern grows after child hospitalised following Tenby sea swim
-
Local Government6 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime4 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







