Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

Sunday Times article sparks fears for Murco workers

Published

on

murco saleAN ARTICLE published today by a leading national newspaper has reignited fears amongst workers that a Milford Haven oil refinery may close, putting 400 jobs at risk.

The Sunday Times printed that mounting losses as well as a shift in focus by parent company Murphy Oil – from refining to exploration – meant that the refinery was now at risk. The American oil giant has tried to sell the refinery, which opened in 1973, but no buyer has been found. This is despite the offer of a multi-million pound dowry.

According to accounts published by Murphy Oil in the USA, the refinery made a loss of $105m (£63m) in the last three months of 2013.

Murphy Oil classified the refinery, which is the smallest site in the UK, as a “discontinued operation” in its accounts, according to The Sunday Times.

The Sunday Times has also reported that Murphy Oil said that it expects to complete the “disposition” of the refinery by this year.

Rebecca Evans AM, Assembly Member for Mid and West Wales, has spoken to The Herald about her concern about the future of refinery following the report that it may face closure.

Mrs Evans said: “This is deeply concerning. The accounts, filed in America, show Milford Haven representing a loss to the company of $105 million for the last quarter of 2013.

“Murphy Oil has said that it expects to complete the “disposition” of the refinery at Milford Haven by the end of the year. I am seeking urgent clarity from the company as to what that means.

“Assurances were given in November that the refinery would not close – and yet three months later the company is talking about “disposition.” If disposition means a sale, then that could be positive as it would end a protracted period of uncertainty for the 400 strong workforce. However, if disposition means closure, then that would be a devastating and terrible blow to Milford Haven and the surrounding area.

“I know that there are several serious challenges facing the Milford Haven operation, including the downturn in demand for petrol. There is also new competition from giant refineries being built in the Middle East and Asia which can operate at a fraction of the cost of Milford Haven refinery, which is the smallest in Britain.

“I have written to the Minister for the Economy, Science and Transport asking what discussions she and her officials are having with the company, what assistance Government might be able to offer in terms of helping find a buyer for the refinery, and what support can be offered to the workers.

“I also am seeking a meeting with union representatives.”

HERALD NEWS UPDATE

AN ARTICLE published today by a leading national newspaper has reignited fears amongst workers that a Milford Haven oil refinery may close, putting 400 jobs at risk.

The Sunday Times printed that mounting losses as well as a shift in focus by parent company Murphy Oil – from refining to exploration – meant that the refinery was now at risk. The American oil giant has tried to sell the refinery, which opened in 1973, but no buyer has been found. This is despite the offer of a multi-million pound dowry.

According to accounts published by Murphy Oil in the USA, the refinery made a loss of $105m (£63m) in the last three months of 2013.

Murphy Oil classified the refinery, which is the smallest site in the UK, as a “discontinued operation” in its accounts, according to The Sunday Times.

The Sunday Times has also reported that Murphy Oil said that it expects to complete the “disposition” of the refinery by this year.

Rebecca Evans AM, Assembly Member for Mid and West Wales, has spoken to The Herald about her concern about the future of refinery following the report that it may face closure.

Mrs Evans said: “This is deeply concerning. The accounts, filed in America, show Milford Haven representing a loss to the company of $105 million for the last quarter of 2013.

The site has been for sale for three years, but Murco has been unable to find a buyer for the site and had to write-down the company’s value by $73m (£44m) from its value last year.

“Murphy Oil has said that it expects to complete the “disposition” of the refinery at Milford Haven by the end of the year. I am seeking urgent clarity from the company as to what that means.

“Assurances were given in November that the refinery would not close – and yet three months later the company is talking about “disposition.” If disposition means a sale, then that could be positive as it would end a protracted period of uncertainty for the 400 strong workforce. However, if disposition means closure, then that would be a devastating and terrible blow to Milford Haven and the surrounding area.

“I know that there are several serious challenges facing the Milford Haven operation, including the downturn in demand for petrol. There is also new competition from giant refineries being built in the Middle East and Asia which can operate at a fraction of the cost of Milford Haven refinery, which is the smallest in Britain.

“I have written to the Minister for the Economy, Science and Transport asking what discussions she and her officials are having with the company, what assistance Government might be able to offer in terms of helping find a buyer for the refinery, and what support can be offered to the workers.

“I also am seeking a meeting with union representatives.”

Plaid Cymru AM for the Mid and West, Simon Thomas said: “Just a couple of months ago the current owners were adamant that closure was not on the cards at Milford Haven but comments by the company’s CEO and the write down of UK assets, namely Murco, appear to suggest a real threat to ongoing operations at Milford Haven.

“Four hundred jobs are at stake so it is vital that the Welsh Government intervenes now. In November we were told that talks between the Welsh Government and the company were not in relation to the plant’s closure which at the time was a great relief. But it is unfair to expect workers to live with such uncertainty hanging over them.

“I expect the Economy Minister to address the Assembly at the earliest possible opportunity to reassure us that the Welsh Government is fighting for those 400 jobs.”

Paul Davies, Assembly Member for Preseli Pembrokeshire, said, “The Murco oil refinery is an important employer in Pembrokeshire providing hundreds of skilled jobs.

“Further uncertainty over the refinery’s future is most unwelcome and I hope the company will be offered every possible support.

“I hope Welsh Labour Ministers are doing all they can to help secure the future of this refinery and the contribution it makes to the Welsh economy.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Wales leads Britain in export growth for financial and professional services

Published

on

Financial exports soar by 63.5% to £4.3bn

WALES has outpaced every other part of Great Britain in export growth for financial and related professional services, according to a new report by TheCityUK.

The report, Exporting from across Britain: Financial and related professional services 2025, reveals that exports from Wales surged by 63.5% in 2022, reaching £4.3bn—significantly ahead of the national average.

Across Great Britain, total financial and related professional services exports rose by 18.4% to £158bn, with nearly half (47%) generated outside London. Wales contributed 2.9% of the UK’s total financial services exports and 2% of the related professional services total.

The report provides a breakdown of 2022 data by region and nation, highlighting the growing contribution of areas outside London in strengthening the UK’s role as a global financial centre.

In terms of export destinations, 27% of Wales’s financial services exports went to the European Union, with the remaining 73% reaching markets across the rest of the world.

Tom Bray, TheCityUK Chair for Wales and Senior Office Partner (Cardiff) at Eversheds Sutherland, said: “It’s great to see such strong growth in Wales for financial and related professional services exports. Our skill and ability to provide high-quality financial and professional services plays an important role in driving growth in Wales, creating jobs and opportunities for communities across the nation.”

Anjalika Bardalai, Chief Economist and Head of Research at TheCityUK, added: “In 2022, Wales had an extremely strong year of export growth, albeit from a lower base than most regions. Nearly half of all UK exports in financial and related services now come from outside London, reinforcing the UK’s strength as an international financial hub and the importance of regional contributions.”

Policy recommendations

TheCityUK report also outlines a series of recommendations for industry, government, and regulators to support export growth in Wales and beyond. These fall under three key areas:

1. Improving access to trade opportunities

  • Better coordination between UK government, devolved administrations, and investment bodies.
  • Align local growth strategies with national trade goals.
  • Launch a pilot national brokerage scheme to connect capital with investable projects.

2. Expanding global market access

  • Finalise FTAs with Switzerland and India, ensuring better market access and digital trade provisions.
  • Use talks with the Gulf Cooperation Council to promote regulatory cooperation.
  • Strengthen regulatory dialogues with major markets like the US, EU, Japan, and Singapore.
  • Replicate successful models like the UK-Switzerland MRA with other global financial centres.
  • Encourage domestic and international investment into UK scale-up businesses.

3. Positioning the UK for future demand

  • Make the UK a global hub for data, tech, and innovation.
  • Establish the UK as the gateway for international investment.
  • Focus development work on high-potential markets to maximise value.

The report underlines that Wales’s performance demonstrates the growing importance of the UK’s nations and regions in maintaining the country’s competitive edge on the global stage.

Continue Reading

Business

Labour costs loom ahead of new financial year

Published

on

WELSH businesses are under increasing pressure to raise prices due to rising labour costs, according to the latest Quarterly Economic Survey by Chambers Wales South East, South West and Mid.

The first survey of 2025 reveals that 85% of businesses in Wales cite labour costs—including salaries, pay settlements and contractor fees—as a major pressure in the first quarter. This marks a rise from 81% in the final quarter of 2024.

Firms are also bracing for the impact of increases to the National Minimum Wage on 1 April and Employer National Insurance Contributions on 6 April. As a result, 44% of surveyed businesses said they plan to raise the price of goods or services by up to 15% to absorb these costs. A further 10% said they will increase prices due to the National Insurance rise alone.

Despite financial pressures, workforce stability remained strong. Seventy-six per cent of businesses reported no change in staffing levels over the past three months. However, the proportion of companies attempting to recruit fell to 40%, down from 45% in the previous quarter. Looking ahead, 58% expect their workforce to remain unchanged in the next quarter, while 23% plan to increase staff numbers.

The Q1 survey also reflected cautious optimism, with 39% of respondents reporting a rise in export sales and bookings. Additionally, 28% of businesses said they had increased investment in plant, machinery, technology and equipment. Nearly half (45%) forecast an improvement in turnover.

Gus Williams, interim CEO at Chambers Wales South East, South West and Mid, said:
“In our recent Quarterly Economic Surveys, including this survey for Q1, recurring concerns for businesses centre around labour costs and taxation. As changes are set to come into effect in April, businesses in Wales are having to review their goods and services prices, ongoing costs and recruitment plans.

“While there have been glimmers of optimism in exporting and some aspects of investment this quarter, firms will require reassurance and action from government to avoid stagnating and unlock growth. The Office for Budget Responsibility’s revised growth forecasts suggest that economic growth is less certain this year but will be a longer-term achievement.”

Continue Reading

Business

Pembrokeshire rules out visitor levy for next two years

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has confirmed that it will not be introducing a visitor levy during the current administration, offering a measure of certainty to the county’s tourism sector amid a period of major change.

The announcement was made by Cllr Paul Miller, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Place, the Region and Climate Change, during the Visit Pembrokeshire Tourism Summit and AGM held at Folly Farm Adventure Park & Zoo on Wednesday (Apr 3).

Cllr Miller said: “We provide a fantastic tourism offer here in Pembrokeshire and it is an important part of the county’s economy.

“In addition to jobs, this administration’s approach is also about the year-round facilities and attractions that benefit local people too. We recognise the tourism landscape has experienced significant change, be that second homes legislation, tax changes, and we’re aiming to provide some certainty to the industry.

“We acknowledge it’s important to recognise there’s balance to be struck between supporting the industry and dealing with some of the challenges associated with peaks in season. Therefore, I’m confirming it’s not our intention to take forward the option of a visitor levy in Pembrokeshire during this administration.

“Like the hospitality and attraction sector across Pembrokeshire’s amazing tourism offer, I am looking forward to a great summer season for the industry.”

A visitor levy, sometimes called a tourism tax, has been proposed in other parts of Wales to help fund public services and infrastructure in tourist hotspots, but the move has been met with concern by many in the hospitality sector.

Emma Thornton, Chief Executive of Visit Pembrokeshire, welcomed the clarity. She said: “Visit Pembrokeshire welcomes this decision and thanks Pembrokeshire County Council for listening to tourism businesses.

“The cumulative impact of changes in Welsh Government policy affecting tourism businesses, alongside implications of the UK Government’s Autumn Budget, has resulted in real anxiety amongst the trade about the future.

“This decision provides some breathing space and certainty around the short to medium term, which is greatly appreciated.”

Visit Pembrokeshire is the official Destination Management Organisation for the county, providing tourism leadership, marketing, industry support and project delivery. Its base is at The Bridge Innovation Centre in Pembroke Dock.

Continue Reading

News14 hours ago

Fire chief praises crews for response to grass fires

Over 250 incidents tackled during dry spell THE CHIEF Fire Officer of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service...

News14 hours ago

Man paralysed after being shot during weapons test at Pendine MoD range

Defence firm fined £800,000 over ‘devastating’ safety failure A CIVILIAN weapons expert was left paralysed from the neck down after...

Crime20 hours ago

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross...

Charity2 days ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business3 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News3 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business3 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News4 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime4 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Popular This Week