Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Bruce goes for gold

Published

on

goes goldMANORBIER-born Bruce Tasker will be competing in the four man bobsleigh event this weekend.

Tasker, aged 26, is the only Welsh athlete on Team GB and will be hoping he can help his team win gold.

Tasker used to be a sprinter and was once the golden boy of his local athletics team but in 2010, whilst at University in Bath, he swapped his running shoes for the bobsleigh.

Bobsleigh pilot John Jackson and brakeman Joel Fearon, Stuart Benson and Tasker won World Cup silver in Lake Placid in December and followed it up with silver at the European Championships last month.

He has represented Britain in the Europa Cup and will be hoping to use his 6ft 4in frame, 16 stone 5lb bulk, and undoubted speed to hopefully guide Britain to another gold medal.

Britain last won an Olympic medal in bobsleigh in 1998 when Sean Olsson’s crew took bronze in Nagano.

 

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. replica badge regulations

    January 5, 2026 at 9:39 pm

    Fantastic post! I look forward to reading more from you.

  2. video recording police encounters

    January 5, 2026 at 9:45 pm

    I appreciate the practical advice you’ve given here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Charity

Child of Wales Awards honoured with royal invitation

Published

on

ORGANISERS of the Child of Wales Awards have been recognised for their work supporting and celebrating young people across Wales after attending a Buckingham Palace Garden Party.

Mark and Blanche Sainsbury, from Swansea, founders of the Ascona Group Child of Wales Awards, were invited to the royal event this month in recognition of the positive impact the awards continue to have on children, families and communities.

The awards were established five years ago to celebrate the courage, resilience and achievements of young people across Wales.

Each year, the event recognises children and young people who have overcome adversity, supported others, raised awareness for important causes, or made exceptional contributions to their communities.

Speaking after the garden party, Mark and Blanche said the invitation had been both humbling and emotional.

They said: “It was an incredible day and everything you’d expect from enjoying afternoon tea at the King’s home, but we really were just representatives of our team.

“This invitation belonged to the amazing young people, families, supporters and partners who make the Ascona Group Child of Wales Awards what they are.

“Every year we hear stories of courage, kindness and determination that remind us just how remarkable young people in Wales truly are. Representing the awards at Buckingham Palace was a proud moment not just for us, but for everyone involved.”

Now in its fifth year, the awards have become one of Wales’ leading celebration events, bringing together families, sponsors, celebrities and supporters from across the country.

This year’s ceremony will take place on Friday, October 2, at Swansea Building Society Arena. It will be hosted by BBC presenter Gethin Jones and will feature a live performance from The Brand New Heavies.

Organisers say the event sold out seven months in advance, reflecting its growing profile and the strength of the stories at the heart of the awards.

The awards also raise funds for Welsh charities supporting children and young people.

Headline sponsor Ascona Group, which is headquartered in Pembrokeshire, is one of the UK’s fastest-growing forecourt operators, employing more than 900 people across more than 70 sites.

The company’s Ascona Giving Foundation supports community projects, children’s sports teams and foodbank charities, and has donated more than £800,000 since 2017. Ascona Group has also pledged to donate £1m to Wales Air Ambulance over the next ten years.

Photo caption:

Mark and Blanche Sainsbury attended the Buckingham Palace Garden Party in May.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Funeral assault case set for five-day trial

Published

on

AN ASSAULT case involving five Pembrokeshire residents is expected to last five days when it comes before Swansea Crown Court next year.

The case relates to an alleged incident outside the Castle Inn in Pembroke following a funeral gathering on July 6, 2024, where Tonicha Jones was allegedly assaulted and knocked unconscious.

Emma Birch and Chloe Birch have already admitted assault, while Samantha Birch, Daisy Bianchy and Sam James deny the allegations.

The three defendants who deny the allegations remain on bail ahead of a trial listed for February 8, 2027.

During the latest hearing, the court was told that an original four-day trial estimate was “no longer tenable” and that the case was now likely to last five days, partly because Mr James will be representing himself.

Two witnesses are expected to give evidence, including Dr Ahmed, who treated the complainant after she arrived at A&E by ambulance.

The court heard the complainant reported being thrown to the floor and having her hair pulled. Medical evidence is expected to refer to swelling to the mid-scalp area.

Mr James is expected to challenge how his alleged actions caused those injuries.

The court also heard there had been an issue over Samantha Birch’s representation, after her solicitor became unavailable because of another trial.

The case will return to Swansea Crown Court for trial next year.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Vintage tractors take to Broad Haven beach for breast cancer fundraiser

Published

on

A LINE of vintage tractors made an unusual sight on Broad Haven beach on Saturday as enthusiasts gathered for a fundraising run in aid of breast cancer research.

The event brought together a colourful collection of classic farming vehicles, with Welsh flags and pink decorations on display as supporters and spectators gathered along the seafront.

The tractors were parked on the sand before taking part in the run, helping raise awareness and funds for the cause.

Caption:

Vintage tractors lined up on Broad Haven North beach on Saturday for a fundraising run in aid of breast cancer research (Pic: Martin Cavaney).

 

Continue Reading

Community1 hour ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime3 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week