Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke Dock: 17-week roadworks ‘absurd’ says AM

Published

on

CALLS have been made for roadworks on the A477 in Pembroke Dock to work overnight to reduce disruption.

The roadworks, which started on February 5, will last for 17 weeks in total.

The area, which has seen an increase in traffic since the opening of Aldi last year, will have traffic signal equipment and pedestrian crossing facilities added, and the road is also being resurfaced.

Concerns have been raised by Pembroke Dock Town Council of the disruption that these roadworks will cause local businesses and residents, and now an AM has echoed the concerns.

Neil Hamilton AM, from UKIP, said: “The A477 is a crucial artery into and out of Pembroke Dock. It’s absurd that this project, which involves the installation of new lights and resurfacing is taking so long. These delays are destructive to local businesses, in an area so heavily dependent on transport links.

“There are also concerns about access for ambulance crews based at Waterloo – the local health service already faces challenges and this only increases the difficulties they face.

“I support Clr. Hall’s call for the project to be treated with greater urgency. It’s ridiculous that the contract for this critical project omits work outside of regular hours. They should be working on this around the clock in order to get the job done.

“I call on First Minister Carwyn Jones to work with the Trunk Road Agency so that night and shift work can be undertaken in order to complete the project as soon as possible.”

Prior to the roadworks starting, a Pembrokeshire County Council spokesperson said: “In order to improve road safety, a Traffic Signalisation scheme is proposed at Ferry Lane A4139 with its junction with the TRA477 London Road, Pembroke Dock.

“The Trunk Road Agency scheme will commence on Monday, 5th February, for a duration of approximately 17 weeks.

“It will involve the installation of traffic signal equipment, pedestrian crossing facilities and resurfacing of the area.

“As a result, a permanent ‘Prohibition of Right-Turn Movements’ will become operational whereby vehicles travelling from Ferry Lane will have to turn left and negotiate Waterloo roundabout in order to travel east.

“Temporary traffic signals will be in operation 24-hours with a five day works programme (with potential weekend work).”

News

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

Published

on

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap.

Sam Kurtz will take over the seat from the outgoing Angela Burns who held a majority of 3,400 at the last election.

This time, the gap was just 936 to Labour’s Hassan Riaz who picked up 10,304 votes.

Plaid Cymru’s Cefin Campbell picked up 6,615 votes.

The turnout in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire was slightly up to 52.12% from 51.2% in 2016.

However, with a larger electorate thanks to votes for 16/17-year-olds, the number of votes cast went up by almost 3,000.

Continue Reading

News

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

Published

on

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency.

He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895 votes for Labour’s Jackie Jones.

Plaid Cymru candidate Cris Tomos gained just over 6,000 votes and there were also 1,239 for Reform UK candidate Alan Dennison.

There were over 3000 more votes cast in 2016, down largely in part to the fact that 16 and 17 year olds were able to vote in this election.

Both the Conservatives and Labour received more votes than before while the gap to Labour closed to just 1,400.

After being elected, Paul Davies said he would continue to ‘fight for Pembrokeshire’ and thanked those who had been involved in his campaign.

Continue Reading

News

Former Cardigan Castle director sentencing delayed

Published

on

THE SENTENCING of a former director of Cardigan Castle who has pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft totalling over £40,000 has been delayed.

Former director, Jac Davies, pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft was due to be sentenced on Wednesday (May 4) at Swansea Crown Court – but has now been delayed.

Davies who held the £40,000 a year post fraudulently obtained £33,098.75 and stole a further £7,932.97 from the award winning restoration project..

Davies held his position at Cardigan Castle from September 2017 to November 2019.

The defendant has pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining £4,143.20 from the castle on December 21, 2017.

Again Davies admitted to fraudulently obtaining £28,955.55 between February 4, 2019 and November 3, 2019.

Two further charges of theft were also admitted – one charge of  theft from the castle of £1,908.18 between May 2, 2018 and May 24, 2019 and a further charge of theft from Cardigan Castle Enterprises to the sum of £6,024.79.

Dyfed-Powys Police conducted a year long investigation after being contacted by the castle board of directors.

Financial discrepancies were identified during financial monitoring.

An internal investigation was launched and Davies left his position within the castle in October 2019 following a disciplinary process.

Continue Reading
News6 hours ago

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap. Sam Kurtz...

News6 hours ago

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency. He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895...

News11 hours ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Politics2 days ago

Pembrokeshire heads to the polls

THE ELECTIONS to the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru take place today, Thursday (May 6). Over the last few weeks, we’ve published...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following suspicious flat fire in Robert Street

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that the force is investigating a fire which occurred at a property in Lower Robert Street,...

News2 days ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News3 days ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

News4 days ago

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of...

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigate alleged assault, one man arrested and bailed

POLICE officers in Haverfordwest are investigating an incident where a woman was reportedly assaulted. The alleged attack took place at...

Popular This Week