News
New criteria for planning applications
ON Monday, IPPG Cabinet members approved the Biodiversity Supplementary Planning guidance to be adopted for use in determining planning applications.
New member, IPPG Burton Cllr Bob Summons, told Cabinet: “Biodiversity is the breadth of life on earth. We need to consider biodiversity under the planning systems. The Council has an obligation to protect conservation as part of the planning process.” The report details a number of considerations that proposed developers would have to take into account including the requirement for survey work, design stages, analysis of wildlife impact and on protected species and the post application stage. IPPG leader Jamie Adams said: “When the LDP was adopted by Council, it was to cover an array of circumstances. Applicants should be made aware of the timescales so they know when it is best to undertake a survey”. Newly appointed member to the IPPG Cabinet Cllr Keith Lewis added: “We’ve all had experiences of trying to help our constituents with planning matters. By setting it out in a document that highlights the important points, this can be a vital tool in the planning process”.
Community
Kurtz Brings LINK to Pembroke Dock as Banking Hub assessment reopens
LOCAL Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz has welcomed representatives from LINK to Pembroke Dock for discussions on the urgent need for a dedicated banking hub, following the closure of Lloyds Bank in the town last year.
The visit follows a sustained community campaign led by Mr Kurtz, which has gathered more than 1,500 signatures in support of establishing a banking hub in Pembroke Dock. As a result of this campaign, LINK has reopened its assessment and is now reviewing whether Pembroke Dock and the surrounding communities meet the criteria for a hub.
Mr Kurtz convened the meeting with LINK alongside key local representatives, including Stephen Thornton of the Pembroke and Pembroke Dock Chamber of Trade, Cllr Gareth Jones, Mayor of Pembroke, and Sarah Scourfield, Clerk to Pembroke Dock Town Council. Cllr Michele Wiggins, Mayor of Pembroke Dock, also expressed her support for the campaign but was unable to attend.
Speaking following the meeting, Samuel Kurtz MS said: “I am pleased that LINK are demonstrating the seriousness this campaign deserves by visiting Pembroke Dock and undertaking a thorough review of whether there is a clear need for a banking hub.
“I have consistently made the case that Pembroke Dock cannot be considered in isolation. Pembroke and neighbouring communities must be factored into the assessment, particularly given the rural nature of the area and limited public transport connectivity.
“This is a truly community-led campaign, and I am pleased to have helped bring partners together to make the case. We now await the outcome of LINK’s review and keep our fingers crossed that will see a much-needed banking hub established in Pembroke Dock.”
Crime
Police warn cryptocurrency holders after personal data found on dark web
Regional cyber crime officers urge residents to act quickly if contacted
POLICE in Wales have issued an urgent warning to cryptocurrency holders after officers discovered personal data linked to individuals in the region on the dark web.
Specialist officers from the Cyber Crime Team at Tarian Regional Organised Crime Unit (ROCU) have already contacted a number of people whose details were identified.
Anyone who received an email from Tarian ROCU on Thursday (Feb 19) is being urged not to ignore it, as action may be needed to protect themselves from fraud.
Officers stressed that genuine police emails will not usually contain links or attachments. Anyone unsure about the authenticity of a message claiming to be from police is advised to contact 101 to verify it.
Detective Inspector Mathew Davies, from Tarian ROCU, said cryptocurrency owners are increasingly being targeted by criminals.
He said: “Cryptocurrency holders are attractive targets to fraudsters. I would urge anyone who has cryptocurrency to ensure they are secure online and to be aware of potential scams.
“Make sure you are using strong passwords, enable two-factor authentication, and consider using a password manager. Regularly check your bank and other financial accounts for signs of suspicious activity.”

Police warned that fraudsters often impersonate trusted organisations such as banks, police, or financial institutions. Genuine representatives from these bodies will never ask people to transfer money, share financial details, or hand over remote access to devices.
Officers also highlighted the growing role of social media in scams, with around two-thirds of cryptocurrency frauds now beginning on online platforms, including dating sites.
Detective Inspector Davies added: “Fraudsters may attempt to build a rapport with you online and then encourage you to invest your cryptocurrency in a scheme that seems too good to be true. I would encourage all cryptocurrency holders to learn how scams work and how their money or data could be stolen.”
Anyone who believes they have been targeted or fallen victim to fraud is urged to report it via Action Fraud at www.reportfraud.police.uk.
Further advice on staying safe online is available from the National Cyber Security Centre.
Health
Anger at Pembrokeshire Withybush hospital downgrade decision
THURSDAY’S health board decision to downgrade the emergency general surgery service at Pembrokeshire’s Withybush hospital has been condemned by local politicians.
Last year, Hywel Dda University Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.
It said its Clinical Services Plan focuses on nine healthcare services that are “fragile and in need of change”.
These nine clinical services were selected because of risks to them being able to continue to offer safe, high-quality services, or care in a timely manner, the board has previously said.
The proposed changes included an option for Withybush patients needing specialist critical care being transferred to Glangwili.
At a two-day meeting into the proposed changes, held on February 18 and 19, the board backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).
For the other three hospitals, there would be no change in emergency general surgery provision, other than a strengthening of SDEC at Glangwili.
Members stressed the changes would not happen overnight.
Reacting to the decision, local MP Henry Tufnell described it as “another blow for access to healthcare in Pembrokeshire,” adding: As your MP, I will continue to do everything in my power to fight for improvements to our essential services. I’ll be urging the Health Board to revisit this awful decision on emergency services.”
Plaid Cymru candidate for the forthcoming Senedd elections Kerry Ferguson called on the Health Board to reconsider its decision.
“We are so disappointed with the Health Board’s decision to remove the current emergency general services from Withybush. Whilst the Board has committed to maintaining and strengthening Same Day Emergency Care, residents of west Pembrokeshire will still face at least an hour’s journey to receive emergency operations or significant treatment.
“Residents in Pembrokeshire are rightly worried and anxious about the services Withybush might lose, and losing their emergency general services is a huge blow.
“I call on the Health Board to urgently reconsider their decision, and to take into account the risks and impact that implementing option A will have on residents of Pembrokeshire.”
Local Conservative politicians have also reacted angrily to the Withybush decision, along with changes to the stroke service provision at Ceredigion’s Aberystwyth-based Bronglais hospital.
Local Welsh Conservative Senedd Member, Paul Davies MS said: “I’m appalled that Hywel Dda University Health Board has voted to remove general emergency surgery services from Withybush hospital – but I’m not surprised.
“The Health Board is obsessed with removing services from Pembrokeshire and has spent years downgrading and removing services from Withybush hospital. As one constituent has rightly said, the Board should be rebranded the Carmarthenshire Health Board, as it continues to strip assets from other hospitals in west Wales.
“Removing general emergency surgery services critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A and E department and will result in patients having to be transported for urgent treatment. This is not acceptable – I will be taking this to the Welsh Government and urging Ministers to intervene and stop the Health Board from making this catastrophic decision.”
Fellow Pembrokeshire Conservative Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz MS said: “Residents in Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are being treated like second class citizens, as it is always us in the West that has to see our services cut.
“The salami slicing of services is exactly what the Labour government have wanted, and the health board are delivering. This is a sad day, and residents will rightly be angry and concerned.”
-
Health1 day agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health1 day agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health1 day agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business3 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community5 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Community6 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Business4 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
News6 days agoDarren Millar rules out post-election pact with Reform or Plaid








