News
Doctor: ‘Glangwili will not cope’
THE PEMBROKESHIRE Herald has received the explosive full text of a letter sent by a senior clinician at Withybush Hospital, which condemns the Health Board’s proposals for future paediatric care in Haverfordwest as “untested” and “untried”.
The open letter, from Paediatrician Martin Simmonds, was sent to the Board a week after it announced plans to transfer key neonatal services away from Withybush as of August 1. Dr Simmonds letter, exposes the fact that clinicians DO NOT endorse the Health Board’s policy and have grave reservations about the Board’s decision to press ahead regardless of clinician’s concerns.
The Herald’s article (Big Holes in Board’s “safety net”) in our May 9 edition revealed startling deficiencies in the Health Board’s rationale underpinning ending service provision at Withybush. It now appears that the concerns of campaigners and families who contacted us before that article (“Big Holes in Health Board’s Safety Net”) are shared by those clinicians which the Health Board has claimed support the changes being made.
Peter Milewski, a retired consultant surgeon who worked at Withybush for many years, told the Herald: “It feels like a train crash is about to happen.”
Open letter to Hywel Dda University Health Board
Please reconsider the proposed Paediatric service model for Withybush Hospital. It must be postponed. This may be our last opportunity to be heard and have our concerns communicated to the Health Board Executive. At a meeting earlier this year (of the dozens I have attended), I said that although not our preferred model a PAU model could be considered if the middle grade rota couldn’t be sustained. It was an untested, untried suggestion without research or risk assessment. A few months later it emerged as the Health Board’s preferred service model. I note that historically the public have received reassurances that these decisions were “clinician led”. I understand the importance of this statement to give credibility to the plans. However, a Health Board statement says that the majority of clinicians support this plan. I am not one of them. I do not know of any Paediatricians in Hywel Dda who have given their support to this service model. Work undertaken by two senior nurses at Withybush, both of whom I regret to say are now absent through illness, have produced research indicating that the risk assessment for a PAU here indicates that it is neither safe or resilient enough to serve the needs of the local population this remote from the hub Paediatric inpatient base. We keep being told to provide answers and not to continually raise concerns and objections to the proposals. The impression is that until we provide the “desired” answer we are hindering the Health Board’s attempt to move forward. We are not “yes” men, we are professionals working in a vocation we are passionate about, with a fear that irreversible harm will occur if the current proposals go through. It has become increasingly difficult to have confidence that our concerns reach the Health Board. Tensions and divisions amongst staff are emerging as the “who knew what and when” charade continues. Don’t tell us NOT to mention potential clinical scenarios in the future that are of “low frequency”. Don’t insult our intelligence or compassion. We are not shroud waving; we just feel it isn’t as safe a service as it should be. Glangwili will not cope with the additional work coming its way this winter, either physically or with respect to workforce issues. Families will end up travelling out of hours from here to Glangwili and then instructed to go to Bronglais to be admitted. We will have babies with bronchiolitis that have to be transferred in an ambulance despite potential deterioration en route because if we insisted on keeping them here to administer supportive treatment, I would be guilty of professional misconduct. A&E staff have only one Consultant with Paediatric experience: that is not sufficient to say they can manage out of hours. I don’t expect the current reliance on locum middle grades to be sustainable once they learn of the absence of local Paediatric support at night. Our concerns: 1. I am not a conspiracy theorist but when the Chairman and Chief Executive elect to move on this summer and the two most senior Paediatricians in Glangwili opt for unexpected early retirement before August 1 it is concerning. 2. Midwifery led services and A&E appear to have been given reassurances about the level of Paediatric support they can expect that we do not recognise in the proposed Paediatric model. 3. Our nurses have spent a considerable amount of time involved in Estates planning at Glangwili. Estates, up until last week I believe, didn’t even know about a planned PAU located within ward 14. This does not give the impression of any concern about how Withybush will manage a seismic change in service in August. You can imagine how valued that makes our staff feel. Please tell them that Dr Simmonds got it wrong about the PAU model, go public and punish him as you see fit. I would rather be a “fall guy” to save the Health Board’s blushes than have the whispered comments in the years to come that I was the architect of this proposal. Tell them we can staff a 24- hour Paediatric unit at Withybush with recently secured middle grade staffing. No, tell them we demand a 24-hour service here such that we can admit a child overnight and discharge the next morning or administer phototherapy for the jaundiced baby from St Davids who must otherwise travel to Glangwili for admission. Tell them we can develop a specialist Paediatric nurse role in A&E but that it will take time. Tell them that unless we stop this process now, this winter will see greater challenges and upset than there needs to be, adversely affecting the health of families and staff both here and at Glangwili. Martin Simmonds Paediatrician Withybush Hospital.
The Pembrokeshire Herald asked the Health Board for a response to Martin Simmonds’ letter. A Health Board spokesperson said: “We welcome the fact that Dr. Simmonds has recognised that change is needed and we want to reassure our patients and we are continuously working with our clinical teams and Welsh Government to find the right solutions and ensure ‘safety nets’ are in place as instructed by the Minister following an independent review of these services by an expert panel. The safety of these services is paramount and we are being very clear that only when we are confident our solutions are safe and sustainable will we implement them.”
Community
Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.
Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.
The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”
A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.
“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”
Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.
Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.
Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.
“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”
Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.
“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”
As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.
“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”
Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.
“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”
Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.
Community
Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies
Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school
A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.
Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.
He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.
The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.
If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.
Local Government
Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads
Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.
The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.
Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.
The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.
The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.
Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.
He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”
He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.
Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.
Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community1 day agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway







