News
Home office is ‘misleading the public’ over police funding, says Police and Crime Commissioner

THE POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONER has told The Herald that he believes that the Home Office is ‘misleading the public’ that his force will have an increase in funding in 2019/2020.
On the face of it, it appears that Dyfed-Powys Police will have an increase in funding of £8.1 million in 2019/20. However this figure is based upon the presumption that PCC Dafydd Llywelyn will increase the current Band D property precept level by £24 annually.
After what he describes as a frustrating delay, the Government’s provisional grant funding settlement has been announced, which sets out the position for Dyfed-Powys Police for the 2019/20 financial year. On the face of it, it appears that Dyfed-Powys Police will have an increase in funding of £8.1 million in 2019/20. However this figure is based upon the presumption that PCC Dafydd Llywelyn will increase the current Band D property precept level by £24 annually.
PCC Dafydd Llywelyn said: “The way in which the Home Office and Central Government are misleading the public is disgraceful and I am very disappointed in the way this settlement once again shifts the burden onto local tax payers. I continue to try and do the right thing to protect our communities but I feel we are being let down by the Government in London as their actions are likely to impact on our local services.”
“I am currently consulting with the residents of Dyfed-Powys; asking if they would be willing to pay additional police precept to continue to safeguard our communities. Within the survey I have outlined the impact of for Dyfed-Powys Police and its communities. My decision will be made by listening to local communities and the professional advice of the Chief Constable.”
“I am working closely with the Chief Constable to critically review all aspects of the budget requirement. Given the scale of financial challenges that are faced, a precept increase will be unavoidable, but how much this is increased by should not be dictated by Government.”
Crime
Haverfordwest resident denies assault on partner during birthday break

A HAVERFORDWEST man has gone on trial accused of attacking his partner while on holiday in Pembrokeshire.
John Roberts, aged 51, of Barn Street, appeared at Swansea Crown Court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.
The incident is alleged to have taken place on August 24 last year at a shepherd’s hut in Rosemarket, where the couple were staying to celebrate the complainant’s birthday.
Roberts is accused of grabbing his partner by the hair and banging her head against a wall, before damaging a fireplace inside the property. He denies both charges.
Opening the case, prosecutor Emily Bennett told the jury that Roberts and the complainant had been in a relationship for twelve years and were enjoying a holiday following a family barbecue.
She said that shortly after midnight, Roberts’ “mood changed,” and he allegedly launched the attack.
The jury heard that the complainant managed to escape, locked herself in the bathroom and called the police. When she later emerged, Roberts had left the property — taking one of their dogs and the keys with him — and she noticed the fireplace had been damaged.
Roberts was arrested later that day. In police interview, he denied assaulting the woman or causing any damage, claiming she had “started on him” after accusing him of being unfaithful.
The trial, before Judge Wayne Beard, continues.
Entertainment
Join TV and radio presenter Hester Grainger live at the Torch

THIS June, the Torch Theatre welcomes ADHD coach, speaker and former Wright Stuff presenter Hester Grainger to the stage with her powerful and uplifting show, ADHD: Unmasked.
Expect an evening of open conversation, laughter, and refreshingly honest insights into life with ADHD. In a supportive and inclusive space, Hester invites everyone—whether living with ADHD, supporting someone who is, or simply curious—to share stories, connect, and feel seen.
A well-known voice in the neurodivergent community, Hester is a regular podcast guest and media contributor. Her appearance on ADHD Chatter with Alex Partridge went viral, with clips from the episode racking up over 22 million views.
ADHD: Unmasked is an interactive, dopamine-filled evening where Hester shares how to embrace a fast-paced mind, practise self-compassion, and tap into the strengths of neurodiversity. She’ll also speak candidly about family life—raising two autistic/ADHD teenagers and living with her autistic/ADHD husband—as well as navigating ADHD in the workplace, friendships, relationships, and late diagnosis.
Audience participation is welcome, with opportunities to ask questions throughout. Whether you’ve received a diagnosis or are just starting your journey, this event offers connection, laughter, and a sense of belonging. You’ll leave feeling empowered, informed—and most importantly—reminded that you are not alone.
Hester began her media career on Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff, going on to work with Loose Women and Today with Des and Mel. She has featured on BBC Radio 2, Radio 4, Radio 5 Live, and hosted her own show on BBC Radio Berkshire.
She has appeared on leading podcasts such as ADHD Chatter, The Hidden 20%, and ADHD Women’s Wellbeing Podcast, and her writing has been published by HuffPost, Evening Standard, Reader’s Digest, and Arabian Business.
Alongside her husband Kelly, Hester co-founded Perfectly Autistic, a neurodiversity consultancy providing training, talks, and coaching to support neurodivergent employees. Both were diagnosed with ADHD in their forties, after Kelly’s earlier autism diagnosis.
Hester says: “I’m so excited to tour the UK talking about ADHD—something I’m truly passionate about. Being diagnosed in my forties finally gave me the answers I’d been searching for my whole life. With growing awareness, so many people have questions and want to understand more. This evening will be fun, entertaining, and honest—and nothing’s off limits.”
ADHD: Unmasked comes to the Torch Theatre on Friday 6 June at 7:30pm.
Tickets: £26
Book online at www.torchtheatre.co.uk or call the Box Office on (01646) 695267.

News
Pembroke Dock boy walks out with Spurs captain at Stamford Bridge

AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD boy from Pembroke Dock had the experience of a lifetime on Thursday night (Apr 4), when he was selected as the official mascot for Tottenham Hotspur in their Premier League clash against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Joey Williams, a pupil at Pembroke Dock Community School, walked out onto the pitch hand-in-hand with Spurs’ team captain, Son Heung-min, in front of a packed stadium and millions of viewers watching around the world.

The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was part of Tottenham Hotspur’s official mascot programme. Joey, who recently turned eight, travelled to London with his family to take part in the unforgettable event.
His proud mum, KatieJane Solomon, told The Herald: “My son lives in Pembroke Dock and was chosen to be mascot for the Chelsea vs Tottenham game tonight. He walked out with Son Heung-min!”
“He’s a very big Spurs fan so we signed him up to be a member on there website about a year ago and he was very lucky selected at random last month.”
The Premier League clash ended in high drama, but for Joey, the biggest highlight was walking out alongside his football heroes.


-
News7 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime7 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime7 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime7 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News7 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News7 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn
-
News7 days ago
Plaid Cymru slam “jaw-dropping” remarks by First Minister on welfare cuts
-
Community7 days ago
Henry Tufnell MP demands urgent action on Cleddau river crisis