News
Johnston: Man on motoring spree told police ‘oh, you finally got me?’
A 20-YEAR-OLD man with nine motoring charges against him appeared before magistrates at Haverfordwest Law Court on Tuesday (Jan 8).
Mitchell Feneck, of Glebelands in Johnston, pleaded guilty to three charges of driving dangerously, two charges of failing to stop, driving without insurance and driving without a licence, failing to comply with an off-road notification, and driving a vehicle with no registration.
Feneck pleaded guilty to all charges.
Prosecutor, Abul Hussein, explained to the court that the offences occurred over a few days, from September 22 to September 25, 2018.
Feneck was flagged down on September 25 after committing road traffic offences the previous few days. For each of the other offences, Feneck sped off on his Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R VRN, and managed to evade arrest.
Mr Hussein said: “When he was stopped, he said ‘Oh you finally got me then?’. He admitted he drove dangerously, and the prosecution says he should be dealt with at the Crown Court.
“The prosecution case is based on the state of the vehicle. It had been sent for an MOT and failed on 10 points. The rider seat was insecure, there were serious fuel leaks, and the offside front brake disc was contaminated.
“There is a persistence of offending over the few days.”
The court heard that Feneck is autistic and that he is usually cared for by his mother. However, his mother went away for a few days, and during her time away he committed these offences.
Magistrates partly dealt with the offences and sent others to be dealt with at the Crown.
For having no MOT certificate and no registration plate, Feneck was fined £40 for each offence. He was also fined a further £80 for each offence of failing to stop. The rest were sent to Swansea Crown Court to be dealt with on February 8 at 10am.
Feneck must also pay £85 prosecution costs and £30 victim surcharge.
Community
New parents urged to claim Child Benefit sooner
HMRC says thousands of families may be missing out by delaying claims
NEW parents across Wales are being urged to claim Child Benefit as soon as possible after new figures revealed that more than 30 per cent are missing out on payments during their baby’s first year.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) says thousands of families are delaying claims and losing out on financial support which could amount to more than £1,400 a year for a first child.
The warning comes as more than 140,000 babies were born between April and June last year, with HMRC encouraging parents who welcomed a child this spring to make a claim using the HMRC app or online through GOV.UK.
While 6.8 million families claimed Child Benefit in the year to August 2025, only 68.8 per cent did so before their baby’s first birthday.
Child Benefit is worth £27.05 a week, or £1,406.60 a year, for an eldest or only child. Families can also receive £17.90 a week, or £930.80 a year, for each additional child, with no limit on the number of children they can claim for.
HMRC said Child Benefit can be claimed 48 hours after a baby’s birth has been registered, but payments can only be backdated for up to three months from the date the claim is received.
Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Chief Customer Officer said: “Spring is a wonderful time to welcome a baby and claiming Child Benefit as soon as possible means your family can benefit from much-needed financial support.
“It is quick and easy to claim Child Benefit via the HMRC app at a time that suits you.”
Parents making a new claim will need their child’s birth or adoption certificate, bank details, their National Insurance number and, if they have one, their partner’s National Insurance number.
For children born outside the UK, parents may also need the child’s original birth or adoption certificate and passport or travel document.
HMRC says payments are usually made automatically into a bank account every four weeks.
Claiming Child Benefit can also help protect a parent’s future State Pension entitlement through National Insurance credits, particularly for those who are not in paid employment or receiving credits through another route.
It also means a child will automatically receive their National Insurance number when they turn 16.
Parents or partners earning more than £60,000 a year may have to pay the High-Income Child Benefit Charge. However, HMRC says families can still claim Child Benefit and choose not to receive the payments, while still receiving National Insurance credits.
Families who previously opted out of Child Benefit payments can restart them through the HMRC app or online.
Photo caption: Helping hand: HMRC is urging new parents to claim Child Benefit as soon as possible after welcoming a baby (Pic: HMRC).
Community
Views sought on new West Wales Learning Disability Strategy
A CONSULTATION has been launched on a new regional strategy aimed at improving support for people with learning disabilities and neurodivergent people across West Wales.
The proposed West Wales Learning Disability Strategy 2026-2031 covers Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion, and has been developed following two years of engagement with people with learning disabilities, neurodivergent people, families, carers, councils, health services and support organisations.
It would replace three separate but similar local strategies with one regional plan, supported by local action plans for each county.
The strategy has been reviewed by the Regional Improving Lives Partnership, which includes Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council, Ceredigion County Council, Hywel Dda University Health Board, Dream Team, Carmarthenshire People First, Pembrokeshire People First, the West Wales Regional Partnership, and projects funded through the Regional Integration Fund.
The plan is informed by the West Wales Population Needs Assessment and focuses on ten priority areas identified during engagement.
These include information, advice and assistance, social services, health services, education, children and young people, socialising and friendships, day opportunities, volunteering and work, housing, transport, advocacy, and support for carers.
Pembrokeshire County Council is now asking residents, service users, families, carers and organisations to give their views on the recommendations.
The consultation is open until Sunday (Jul 5).
People can take part online through the West Wales Regional Partnership Board website, on the West Wales Learning Disability Partnership page.
Anyone who would like a paper copy can contact [email protected] or call 01437 764551.
Crime
Police launch knife amnesty across Dyfed-Powys area
UNWANTED knives can be handed in at police stations across west Wales this week as part of a national campaign to tackle knife crime.
Dyfed-Powys Police is taking part in Sceptre, a national week of action running from Monday (May 18) to Sunday (May 24).
The campaign gives members of the public the chance to safely dispose of unwanted knives at police counters across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys.
Amnesty bins will be available at police stations in Carmarthen, Aberystwyth, Cardigan, Haverfordwest, Brecon and Newtown.
The week of action is also running alongside Knife Crime Awareness Week, organised by the Ben Kinsella Trust, which works to educate young people about the dangers of knife crime.
Inspector Darren Crockford said: “This is a vital week of action that we, along with forces UK-wide, participate in biannually. However, our dedicated push against knife-related crime never diminishes.
“Seizing knives and making arrests is an important part of the policing approach, however there is also focus on stopping the sale and supply of knives solely intended to harm, along with the supply to young people.
“We also work hard to identify potential knife carriers and engage with people to understand why they may choose to carry a knife, then offer the appropriate support.”
Police said neighbourhood policing and prevention teams will also be carrying out engagement and prevention work during the week.
Inspector Crockford added: “Carrying a knife does not make anyone safer – a knife usually makes a situation much worse.
“Policing cannot tackle this problem alone, so we will be engaging with our partners to signpost to intervention and diversion work to reduce the threat and risks of knife crime.
“Reinforcing the dangers of carrying knives is a vital step in ultimately trying to prevent the devastating consequences that knife crime can have, not just for victims and their families but the entire community.”
Police are asking anyone with concerns about knife crime to contact Dyfed-Powys Police on 101, or 999 in an emergency or if a crime is in progress.
Information can also be passed anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Concerns about unsafe public spaces can be reported through the StreetSafe website.
Unused knives and blades can also be disposed of safely at recycling centres. Residents are advised to check their local council website for details.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







