News
Police now the ’24/7 default service’ for mental health

DYFED-POWYS POLICE deals with around 200 mental health incidents every week, its Chief Constable has told members of the Dyfed Powys Police and Crime Panel.
Mark Collins said there is continued demand on the force, which is seen as the ‘24/7 default service’ for people suffering with mental health, but welcomed collaboration with Hywel Dda University Health Board to tackle the problem and ensure people are properly cared for.
The Chief Constable is the National Police Chiefs’ Council lead for Mental Health and Policing, and addressed the Panel after it asked for assurance that adequate priority is being given to the issue as part of the Force’s annual Police and Crime Plan.
Within the plan, the Commissioner has committed to improving understanding of mental health demands by working in partnership with other services and with people who have experience of mental ill health, and advocating a reasonable and proportionate response by front-line staff when dealing with people experiencing mental ill health.
He has also committed to ensuring that people suffering from mental ill health are treated in a health facility and not detained in custody.
Mr Collins gave the Panel an outline of the national picture which raises concerns about the level of police involvement in responding to mental health problems, saying that the police service is doing a good job in difficult circumstances.

Police operation on Mount Estate, Milford haven on June 12, 2018 (Pics: Herald)
“The main issue is the continuing demand on the force,” he said. “We have 50-60 calls per day relating to mental health in Dyfed Powys. Our triage team deal with over 200 incidents a week.
Unfortunately, the police is a 24/7 default service.
“We’ve been able to reduce priority calls because we are carrying out welfare checks, but collaboration is the most important way forward.
“I welcome the latest announcements from Hywel Dda University Health Board regarding community care cafes in the Dyfed Powys area, with provision in Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion. For me, it’s that step beyond triage.”
The Dyfed Powys Police and Crime Panel has identified mental health as one of the key themes it will scrutinise during the year.
Independent Panel member Helen Thomas said she welcomed the focus that mental health is receiving.
She said: “I would like to thank the Commissioner and Chief Constable for this report. The facts you have given us are worrying. The demand on the police service cannot be under estimated. The focus needs to be on the police service and the huge demands on it.
“Not to be using cells is a huge advance but of course you have to have an alternative suitable accommodation and that’s a challenge. I look forward to hearing the improvements in the future.”
The Police and Crime Commissioner’s full report on Mental Health and Policing in Dyfed Powys, can be found as part of the agenda papers for the July 2019 meeting of the Dyfed Powys Police and Crime Panel.
Find this, along with information about the Panel, its members, future meeting dates and more, at www.dppoliceandcrimepanel.wales
More on police and mental health
by Rhys Williams
A REPORT was released by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services last year, titled ‘Policing and Mental Health – Picking Up the Pieces’.
The Inspectorate revealed concerns that the police are working beyond their duty, and questioned whether the police should be involved in responding to mental health problems to the degree that they are.
Feedback from officers, partners, service users and some limited data indicates that in some cases the police service is stepping in to fill shortfalls in health services. This may include: transporting someone to hospital because an ambulance isn’t available; waiting with someone in hospital until a mental health place is found or checking on someone where there is concern for their safety.
Often, as a 24/7 service, police are the only professionals available to respond because the person is in crisis ‘out of hours’. The report’s detailed analysis shows that the peak time for calls to police for support with mental health-related incidents is between 3pm and 6pm Monday to Friday, towards the end of the working day.
The report also found that mental health crisis is often preventable and avoidable. It is far cheaper for health agencies to intervene early than pay for specialist crisis treatment after harm and distress has already been caused.
For example, in their force management statements (FMS), 13 forces cited the pressure that responding to repeat callers places on an already busy command and control system. If services were in place to treat people earlier, the cost savings would be significant.
The same point was made in the 2016 State of Policing report: “By the time depression or some other mental disorder has been allowed to advance to the point that someone is contemplating suicide, or engaging in very hazardous behaviour, many opportunities to intervene will have been missed by many organisations. When that intervention takes place on a motorway bridge or railway line, or when someone is holding a weapon in a state of high distress, the expense to all concerned is far higher than it should be. The principal sufferer is the person who is ill, especially when it is realised that his or her suffering could have been much less or even avoided altogether. Then there is the economic cost in terms of the expenditure of time and effort by the police and other public services, as well as the expense and trauma sustained by those adversely affected by the crisis at the time. The economic arguments for earlier intervention intensify the health and moral ones already in play.”
It was also suggested that the Crisis Care Concordat, a national agreement between local services and agencies involved in the support of people in mental health crisis, is a step in the right direction, but there still needs to be a rethink.
The report read: “All services and agencies have done considerable work to improve the response to those with mental health problems. A culmination of this collaboration is the Crisis Care Concordat, in which 22 bodies committed to improving the service and experience of those people with mental ill-health.
“However, people with mental health problems need expert support, and all too often this isn’t available when people need it. The fact that people are calling the police to access health care is untenable, and the evidence later in our report shows that the demand for police to respond to mental health-related calls is increasing. We believe there needs to be a radical rethink to guarantee a timely expert response from health services.”
News
NAHT Cymru tells politicians: Get ‘back to basics’ in supporting schools

WELSH politicians must abandon costly “vanity projects” such as changing the school year and instead help schools focus on the basics of teaching and learning, according to the school leaders’ union NAHT Cymru.
The call comes as the union launches its 2026 election manifesto at its annual conference in Cardiff today (Apr 2).
NAHT Cymru says it is giving parties early notice ahead of next year’s Senedd elections, urging them to listen to the needs of financially-stricken schools that are struggling to deliver for pupils amid rising pressures.
The manifesto sets out the key challenges facing Welsh schools and outlines what political parties must do to support teachers, school leaders and learners.
Laura Doel, the union’s Wales national secretary, and general secretary Paul Whiteman are addressing delegates at the Cornerstone venue in Cardiff. Other confirmed speakers include Education Secretary Lynne Neagle and Estyn Chief Inspector Owen Evans.
Ms Doel said: “We are urging politicians to get back to basics and help schools focus on what matters – teaching children and young people and preparing them for adulthood.
“At a time when many schools are struggling to make core budgets add up, they have increasingly been left to pick up the slack for under-resourced community services, supporting pupils facing issues from poverty to mental ill-health.
“Too much government time and energy has been wasted on vanity projects like toying with changes to the school year. Our message is clear – don’t overload schools with new initiatives unless you’re providing the support they need to do the basics well.”
A recent NAHT Cymru survey revealed that more than half of school leaders (53%) are predicting a budget deficit this academic year, with many being forced to cut essential services and staff, including teachers.
Key demands in the manifesto include:
- Fair funding: Address the findings of the Welsh Government’s 2025 funding review, end the postcode lottery in school funding, and restore financial support for small and rural schools.
- Recruitment and retention: Restore teacher and leader pay to 2010 levels after real-terms cuts and fully fund pay rises so schools can afford them.
- Wraparound services: Support local authorities to rebuild vital services such as social care and mental health, ensuring schools are not left to fill the gap alone.
- Mental health: Invest in mental health support teams, school-based counselling, and creative therapies in all education settings.
- Additional Learning Needs (ALN): Properly resource schools to meet the ALN Code or revise the code to reflect what is realistically achievable, and ensure ALN coordinators receive appropriate recognition and pay, as recommended by the Independent Welsh Pay Review Body.
- Workload reduction: Honour agreements made with unions to reduce staff workload and assess the impact of any new policies on staff pressures.
NAHT Cymru’s newly appointed president, Dafydd Jones, head teacher at Ysgol Melyd in Prestatyn, said: “Teachers and school leaders do not have sufficient funding, resources or support to focus on what matters most – teaching and supporting pupils.
“It’s time to trust the professionals, allow reforms time to bed in, and give schools the resources they need to thrive – not more political tinkering.”
Paul Whiteman, general secretary of NAHT, added: “Our school leaders in Wales and their teams are dedicated professionals who care deeply about providing the best education possible.
“But it often feels like they’re being asked to do it with one hand tied behind their backs. Their resilience is remarkable, but it’s becoming harder to sustain. We need a clear commitment from all political parties to properly fund and support schools.
Crime
Pembroke Dock woman sentenced for string of shoplifting offences

LOUISE DAVIES, aged 49, of Laws Street, Pembroke Dock, appeared before magistrates this week and admitted to multiple thefts from shops in the town.
On December 17, 2024, Davies stole seven bottles of Famous Grouse whisky worth £164.50 from Tesco in Pembroke Dock. On the same day, she also took ten legs of lamb and a gammon joint worth £292.38. She indicated guilty pleas and was convicted on March 18. She was sentenced to a community order with 120 hours of unpaid work, exclusion from Aldi stores for 12 months, and ordered to pay full compensation for both thefts.
Davies also admitted stealing items worth £63.95 from Aldi on July 2, 2024, and £61.96 from the same store on August 8, 2024. Both offences were dealt with on March 27. She received the same community order and unpaid work requirement, along with exclusion from all Aldi stores and further compensation payments.
Two further charges, where Davies was jointly accused with co-defendant John Ashby, were dismissed after no evidence was offered. These included alleged thefts from Aldi on July 4 and January 20.
Crime
Pembroke Dock man fined for shoplifting offences

JOHN ASHBY, aged 37, of no fixed abode in Pembroke Dock, appeared before magistrates this week accused of a series of shop thefts in the town.
On Monday, January 20, Ashby stole dried logs worth £96 from Tesco in Pembroke Dock. He pleaded guilty and was convicted on Thursday (Mar 27). He was fined £54 and ordered to pay £93.20 in compensation.
Ashby also admitted to stealing items worth £60 from Aldi on Thursday, July 4, 2024. He changed his plea to guilty and was again fined £54 and ordered to pay £60 compensation.
Two other theft charges—one relating to £63.95 worth of items taken from Aldi on July 2, 2024, and another for £61.96 on August 8, 2024—were dismissed after no evidence was offered. Both incidents were said to involve a co-defendant, Louise Davies.
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity6 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News7 days ago
Park issues clarification on campsite restrictions following backlash
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
News7 days ago
Coastguard called to Goodwick breakwater after items found
-
Crime7 days ago
Unlicensed dog breeders prosecuted in Carmarthenshire