Connect with us


Neyland win Alec Colley thriller



NEYLAND claimed the Alec Colley Cup for the first time in 28 years as they held off a late charge from Cresselly on Sunday (Aug 18).

It was a thrilling final which went down to the final ball but it was Neyland who came out on top in Pembroke.

Neyland scored 146-4 in their first innings before Cresselly replied with 127-4.

That gave Neyland a lead of 19 runs and their seconds innings total of 152-4 set Cresselly 172 to win.

Cresselly looked to be on their way to their target but some good late bowling ensured Neyland won by only six runs.

Prior to the game, a minutes silence was held in memory of umpire John Williams who sadly passed away. A collection was also held with money raised going to the Wales Air Ambulance.

Cresselly won the toss and elected to field and it was Nathan Banner and Lewis Page who opened up with a first wicket stand worth 48 runs.

Page made a score of 23 before he was bowled by Lyn Richards and Matthew Lewis then bowled Stephen Murray.

Ollie Richards then had Gavin Rowland stumped by Neal Williams as Neyland were reduced to 99-3.

Banner made his way to a score of 76 with four fours and five sixes but he was then caught by Matthew Lewis off the bowling of Josh Lewis.

Patrick Hannon finished unbeaten on 17 to give his side a good opening total.

Cresselly’s reply began badly as Mike Venables was run out by Nathan Banner and Neal Williams then saw his shot caught by Luke Ryan to give Patrick Hannon his first wicket.

Despite being 1-2, Simon Cole and Scott Arthur shared 83 runs for the third wicket as they looked to get Cresselly up and running.

Arthur made his way to a score of 32 but he was then caught by Paul Miller off the bowling of Gary Lloyd.

Cole scored an excellent half century but was then trapped leg before by Banner on a score of 55.

Matthew Lewis then finished unbeaten on 18 and Lyn Richards unbeaten on 11 as Cresselly ended their first innings 19 runs short of their opponents.

Neyland lost Lewis Page early on as he was caught by Lyn Richards off the bowling of Josh Lewis.

However, Banner and Patrick Hannon then began to cut loose as they shared a second wicket stand worth 115 runs.

Hannon scored 26 but he was then stumped by Neal Williams off the bowling of Matthew Lewis.

Banner hit seven fours and five sixes as he made his way to a score of 97 but he was unlucky to miss out on a century as he was bowled by Matthew Lewis.

The same bowler then had Luke Ryan stumped by Williams as Neyland’s second innings came to a close with the score on 152-4.

That set Cresselly 172 to win the game and they started well with Williams hitting three boundaries in the first over.

However, he was bowled by Nathan Banner on a score of 15 and Mike Venables was bowled by Gary Lloyd.

Banner struck again as he had Scott Arthur caught by Callum Woods and Lloyd then got his second as he had Lyn Richards caught by Lewis Page.

That left Cresselly on 47-4 and staring at a big defeat but Simon Cole and Steffan Jenkins had other ideas.

They shared 76 runs as they kept the scoreboard ticking over but Jenkins was caught by Banner off the bowling of Patrick Hannon on a score of 23.

Cresselly didn’t let that derail their chase as Matthew Lewis joined Cole at the crease.

They took Cresselly to within thirteen runs of their target with the final over being bowled by Jamie Smith.

Lewis took three runs off the first ball but the pair could only manage another three runs between them before the final ball. A six would have tied the game but Lewis missed as Neyland claimed victory.

There were two excellent knocks as Lewis finished unbeaten on 27 while Cole was unbeaten on 69 but it wasn’t to be Cresselly’s day.

It meant that Neyland won the Alec Colley Cup for the first time since 1991 with captain Paul Miller delighted to get his hands on the trophy.

It was an excellent final and a fitting tribute to John’s memory.

Continue Reading


Veteran Vikings beaten by Swansea



HAKIN United Over 40s travelled to the Llandarcy Academy of Sport last Sunday (Nov 28) to play Swansea University.

Hakin took the lead inside 10 minutes as Matthew Price raced clear of the Uni defence before side footing the ball into the bottom corner.

A great start for the Veteran Vikings, but on the half hour mark, two quick goals for the Swansea men turned the game on its head.

A third goal just before half time put Swansea firmly in the drivers seat, but, the Hakin players felt that the goal was offside and that there was a handball in the build-up.

However, despite all of the protests, the goal stood.

Hakin looked far more purposeful in the second half, but they failed to find a goal that was going to get them back in the game.

Hakin are next in action on Sunday, December 12, when Church Village visit the Obs.

Hakin 40s: Jim Payne, Nick Jones, Adam Collins, Ali Davies, Paul Hannon, Marc Devonald, Simon Atyeo, Mark Riley, Paul Jones, Matthew Price, Phil Richards.

Continue Reading


Pembrokeshire Junior Netball League results



IN the Pembrokeshire Junior Netball leagues on Saturday (Nov 27), there were wins for Sapphires White Under 12s and Pembroke Under 14s.

There was also a win for Fishguard Under 16s as they beat Pembroke 28-24.

Results for Saturday, November 27:

Under 12’s:

Sapphires White 7-4 Chaos Thunder

Players player:

Sapphires: Orla Maulio Martina

Chaos: Annabel Richards

Under 14’s:

Pembroke 23-17 Sapphires White

Players player:

Pembroke: Carys Kenniford

Sapphires: Florence Barker

Under 16’s:

Fishguard 28 v 24 Pembroke

Players player:

Fishguard: Evie Rands

Pembroke: Megan Bowen

Continue Reading


Seagulls snatch late win over Nantgaredig



FISHGUARD scored a late try to seal their first win of the League 2 West season on Saturday (Nov 27) as they came from behind to beat Nantgaredig.

The Seagulls held a 12-5 lead at the break but Nant hit back in the second half to take a 17-12 lead.

Luke Marshall and Robbie Jones went over for the visitors while James Griffiths added one conversion.

Winger Iwan Thomas scored for the home side and vice-captain Gavin Orson scored and they were also awarded a penalty try.

Griffiths then slotted a penalty through the posts to bring the score back to 17-15.

With the clock ticking over the 80-minute mark, Fishguard attacked and were rewarded when Griffiths scored the try to put his side into the lead. Griffiths then added the extras before the referee blew for full time.

It left the home side feeling deflated having had the victory taken away from them in the last play of the game.

On Saturday, December 4, Fishguard are at home to Milford Haven while Nantgaredig travel to Tycroes.

Continue Reading

News14 hours ago

Secondary school staff and pupils must wear face coverings from December 1

FOLLOWING the written statement from the Minister for Education yesterday (Monday) evening, all secondary school learners and staff will be...

News20 hours ago

‘Unpleasant’ trader must pay over £19,000 for shoddy shed work

A MAN who carried out substandard work on a shed in north Pembrokeshire and became unpleasant when challenged has been...

News23 hours ago

Covid-19 cases highest in Tenby; lots of new cases in Neyland and Pembroke Dock

THE NUMBER of Covid-19 infections still taking place in Pembrokeshire is still significant, with the latest figues broken down per...

News2 days ago

Vaccine-sceptic care workers urged to get jabbed to save lives

A SOCIAL CARE leader has urged the minority of vaccine-sceptic care workers in the Hywel Dda Health Authority area  to...

News2 days ago

Woman with broken leg airlifted off Preselis by Coastguard helicopter

A WOMAN who broke her leg whilst out walking on the Preselis was taken to hospital by helicopter after a...

News4 days ago

Firefighters want justice for Josh after leaked shock report

A SHOCKING draft report into the circumstances of the death of a firefighter in Pembrokeshire in 2019 is firmly pointing...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven fast food worker tragically took his own life, inquest hears

A MILFORD HAVEN fast food worker took his own life after drinking a large quantity of alcohol, the local Coroner,...

News5 days ago

Email from Councillor prompts Pembroke Dock mayor to resign

AN EMAIL enquiring to why the Mayor of Pembroke Dock had been absent from his civic duties has led to...

News6 days ago

Reprieve for Cawdor Barracks: Base will not close until 2028

CAWDOR Barracks at Brawdy will remain open until 2028, the Westminster Government announced on Thursday (Nov 25). The Barracks were...

News6 days ago

Wales has ‘worst rail services in the UK’

NEWS that Wales has the worst train services in the UK is disappointing but not at all surprising, the Welsh...

Popular This Week