Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

Published

on

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest.

Stephen Crabb MP said that it is an issue which is certain to ‘divide public opinion’.

Posting on his Facebook page, the Preseli Pembrokeshire MP said: “I am a big fan of McDonald’s but I have some concerns which I have discussed with their regional management. Firstly, there is not a lot of room for cars there so I would be concerned if a congestion problem is created in the car park and at the junction with the Merlin’s Bridge roundabout. I also raised the issue of littering which is something I know they have worked hard to reduce in the past.

They have assured me they will be doing at least 3 daily litter picks around the site and picking up all litter – not just their own wrappers which have been chucked away.

I was pleased to hear they have a clear plan for protecting staff and will be sticking to all Welsh Government guidelines. I think they will need to keep things under review but, if they can re-open safely and with the support of staff and customers, I think that’s a positive thing.”

McDonald’s will reopen all of its 1,000 restaurants in the UK and Ireland for drive-through or delivery by 4 June, as it returns to trading after the coronavirus shutdown.

The fast food chain reopened 33 of its drive-throughs in south-east England last week.

McDonald’s said all remaining branches would reopen between Tuesday and Thursday next week. It will announce which Golden Arches branch is reopening only on the morning that service is resuming in order to manage demand.

The burger chain is trying to avoid a repeat of its experience in France and Switzerland, where advance notice of drive-through reopenings led to queues of up to seven hours in some locations.

The company said it was working with local authorities and police in the run-up to the reopenings in the UK and Ireland after almost two months’ closure.

McDonald’s, along with its competitors Burger King, KFC and Nando’s, have been trialling phased reopenings of their restaurants, with increased safety measures.

Staff at McDonald’s are protected from customers by perspex screens installed at the drive-through windows, and from their colleagues inside the restaurant’s kitchens. The company has introduced physical distancing inside the restaurants, including floor markings in each branch.

News

Five people have been charged with conspiracy to supply cannabis and cocaine

Published

on

FIVE people have appeared in court charged with conspiracy to supply cannabis and cocaine in Carmarthenshire.

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 officers from Dyfed-Powys Police executed a warrant at a farm in Capel Dewi, Carmarthenshire, where they found firearms and large quantities of cannabis, cocaine and cash.

Stephen Paul Leyson, aged 54, of Capel Dewi, Carmarthen, was this week charged with possession of a firearm and conspiracy to supply class A and B drugs, while Lynne Ann Leyson, aged 51, and Samson Paul Leyson, aged 22, both of Capel Dewi, were charged with conspiracy to supply class A and B drugs.

Andrew Leslie Jenkins, aged 50, of North Hill Road, Mount Pleasant, Swansea, was charged with conspiracy to supply class B drugs and Ritchie John Coleman, aged 32, of Vetch Close, Pembroke, was charged with supplying class B drugs and cannabis production.

All five appeared before Llanelli Magistrates Court yesterday, with Stephen Leyson, Jenkins and Coleman remanded into custody.

Lynne and Samson Leyson were granted bail with conditions.

They are next due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Thursday, January 5, 2023.

Continue Reading

Business

Town council to help elderly with online banking as last bank in Tenby set to close

Published

on

LOCALS in Tenby have been left reeling at this week’s news that the town’s HSBC branch is set to close next year.

The closure, announced on Thursday (Nov 30) will leave Tenby without any of the UK banks.

In recent years, Lloyds, NatWest and Santander have all left the town. Barclays has also just shut its doors for the last time, with the nearest branches being in Haverfordwest or Carmarthen.

The move comes as part of the latest round of closure, which will see 114 branches of the bank closed across the UK.

It follows 69 HSBC branches closing earlier this year and 82 HSBC branches closing last year.

Other HSBC branches closing in Wales include Abergavenny, Chepstow, Port Talbot, Pontypool, Brecon and a branch in Cardiff – Rhyd y Penau.

HSBC says its customer numbers have fallen rapidly since the pandemic and that some of the branches that are being shut now serve less than 250 customers a week.

Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK’s managing director of UK distribution, said: “People are changing the way they bank and footfall in many branches is at an all-time low, with no signs of it returning.

“Banking remotely is becoming the norm for the vast majority of us.

“Not only can we do it anywhere at any time of day or night, many more things can be done at the customers’ convenience and don’t rely on a branch visit.

Speaking to The Herald by telephone on Wednesday evening (Nov 30), Mayor of Tenby, Cllr. Sam Skyrme Blackhall said: “This is really bad for the town of Tenby, and it’s just very, very said. This is a case of where are banks going?

“We have always looked after our banks here in Tenby, and it feels like no one is looking after us. Its as if no one in the banks cares anymore.”

Pointing out the number of retired people living in the area, she said: “We have a lot of elderly people in town who do not use online banking, and depend on the branch being open.

“I am talking to the Post Office and other people with the aim of looking to the hub system, which is happening in other towns where they are also loosing their banks.

“Its very sad that we will losing another cash point. How is a busy town expected to function without a bank or cash points. Where do people go for money?

Asked if she thought it was possible that the branch would be saved, as Tenby HSBC was one of the few banks without a confirmed closure date, Cllr. Sam Skyrme Blackhall seemed to think that the decision had been firmly made. She said: “They have to give six months notice, so we could be looking at May or June 2023 for the closure.

“I don’t think the branch could be saved.

“Barclays officially finished the other week.

“Banks don’t care about residents and people don’t matter [to them] during these very worrying times.”

Town council is planning to offer struggling Tenby residents help with online banking from their offices, creating a kind of drop-in-service, The Herald has been told.

Like in any time of difficulty the people of Tenby will rally together as they always do, but no matter what is done in the face of the closure of the last bank in the historic town, nothing will fully replace traditional face-to-face banking services.

Tenby Mayor Cllr. Sam Skyrme Blackhall: These are sad times for Tenby
Continue Reading

Community

Park Authority sponsorship boost for Boxing Day Swim’s belated half century

Published

on

PEMBROKSEHIRE Coast National Park Authority says that it is delighted to be one of the main sponsors of this year’s Tenby Boxing Day Swim.

The popular event will mark its belated 50th anniversary this year, after Covid-19 enforced cancellations of the event in 2020 and 2021.

Chair of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Di Clements said: “The Authority is delighted to be helping this well-supported community event celebrate its half-century landmark, especially as the National Park celebrates its own notable 70-year milestone this year.

“We hope this support will help raise much needed funds for a range of local causes, recognise the efforts of the brave participants and link to the Authority’s wider winter of well-being support programme, helping communities across the Park to stay well this winter.”

Chairman of the Tenby Sea Swimming Association, Chris Osborne added: “The swim’s stunning location on Tenby’s North Beach calls for continuing collaboration between community events organisers, like Tenby Sea Swimming Association, and environmental custodians such as the Park Authority.

“These joint anniversaries, and this generous sponsorship for which we are very grateful, are a choice way of celebrating this partnership.”

The 2022 Tenby Boxing Day Swim is raising money for the Tenby Memory Café, the Dai Rees Foundation, Tenby RNLI and the Paul Sartori Foundation.

Swimmers are asked to register online and make a small donation to help cover the cost of organising the event, which will ensure more of the sponsorship money raised goes to the chosen good causes.

For further information, visit www.tenbyboxingdayswim.co.uk, or follow Tenby Boxing Day Swim on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

Ends

Caption: National Park Authority Chair, Cllr Di Clements with Tenby Sea Swimming Association Chairman, Chris Osborne.

Continue Reading

News2 days ago

Missing person appeal: Have you seen Eryl?

POLICE are looking for help with locating a missing woman from Pembroke. 68-year-old Eryl may be wearing jeans and a...

Business2 days ago

Pembs CBD UK’s first high street store partnered with medical cannabis clinic

THE PEMBROKESHIRE CBD CENTRE has become the first high street CBD company in the country to be in partnership with...

Business3 days ago

New facilities to support the growth of Celtic Sea FLOW take another step forward

LAND management works have begun at Pembroke Port signalling the start of another important phase in the £60 million Pembroke...

News4 days ago

Oriel y Parc Christmas Market to make a cracking comeback

SHOPPERS searching for homemade gifts and festive fun should make their way to St Davids on Saturday 3 December, for...

News6 days ago

Penally Camp and Firing Range to close, say Penally Community Council

PENALLY COMMUNITY COUNCIL says it has discovered that both Penally camp and firing range are to permanently close in the...

News1 week ago

Man arrested for sexual assault on female pupil outside Milford Haven school

A 29-YEAR-OLD fisherman has been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old schoolgirl as she was leaving Milford Haven...

News1 week ago

Clean up underway in Hakin street following multi vehicle collision

POLICE, council workers and a specialist recovery company were in a Hakin street this morning clearing up following a road...

Education1 week ago

Young people’s equality and diversity debate held at County Hall

STUDENTS from all secondary schools in Pembrokeshire, including the Pembrokeshire Learning Centre, took part in a lively debate recently on...

News1 week ago

Welsh Guards join Pembrokeshire Music Service for Concert

YOUNG MUSICIANS in Pembrokeshire recently enjoyed a day rehearsing music with professional musicians from the Band of the Welsh Guards,...

Charity1 week ago

Rough Sleeper Support Scheme to extend help for rough sleepers throughout county

PEMBROKESHIRE CARE SOCIETY in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, has recently launched the Rough Sleeper Support Scheme to extend the...

Popular This Week