News
Public anger over MP’s ‘Hart-less decision’

A PEMBROKESHIRE MP who backed the UK government not to extend the free school meal scheme to cover children throughout England for school closures up until Easter 2021, has experienced huge backlash on social media.
A motion on providing 1.4 million disadvantaged children in England, with a £15 a week voucher during school holidays until Easter 2021, was voted down in the House of Commons last Wednesday (Oct 21).
Simon Hart MP for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire, stood with his Government and voted against the bill by 322 to 261, a majority of 61.
Simon Hart was named, along with over 300 of his Conservative colleagues, on The Daily Mirror’s front page, after voting to allow some of the UK’s poorest and vulnerable children to return to school ‘too hungry to learn’.
Stephen Crabb, the MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, abstained from the vote.
With many organisations calling the decision ‘cruel’ and ‘callous’, one Pembrokeshire pub has taken their stance on the situation further.
Taking to their Facebook page, The Globe in Fishguard has issued a lifetime ban for both Pembrokeshire MP’s, they said: “Following the decision by the Mill and Il Manilo pub in West Yorkshire to ban their local MP Rishi Sunak and other MPs in nearby constituencies over their voting against extending free school meals over the holidays, I would like it known that abstainer Stephen
Crabb and Simon Hart, who voted in support of allowing children to starve, are similarly barred for life from The Globe!
“Thank God that the WG has promised to provide food vouchers for children in need in Wales.
“Anyone who actively or passively enables children to go hungry cannot possibly possess any humanity in our opinion. Here in the Globe we only allow humans and dogs to enter the building; as
Mr Crabb and Mr Hart appear to be neither of these then we feel we have no option but to impose a lifetime ban.”
In a statement on his Facebook page rounding up the week of politics, Mr Hart defended toeing the Government line: “The “opposition motion” last Wednesday seeking an extension to the free school meal programme into the holidays was non-binding and even if passed would not have changed anything.
“The frustrating thing about these motions is that they are nothing more than political theatre. For what it’s worth, it was this Government that extended FSM’s in Easter and Summer holidays in the first place but which has now decided that families in greater need are best served through increasing benefits over a whole year, not just via food vouchers in the holidays.
“I do understand how this looks in the media though (which is exasperating for all of us) but it’s not as straightforward as just removing something without trying to offset the consequences.”
Mr Hart omitted to mention that FSM provision over the summer holidays only happened after the Westminster Government was shamed into action after a massive public outcry over its initial refusal to provide them.
His position was not helped by a series of inflammatory tweets from fellow Conservative MPs, such as Ben Bradley, who claimed over the summer meal vouchers were traded for drugs and prostitutes in his Mansfield constituency.
However, Mr Hart will be pleased to have had support echoing his point on free school meals from Carol Peett, the wife of his constituency chairman, Rayner Peett.
Mrs Peett posted the following on Facebook: “All this Marcus Rashford rubbish – momentum scam to try & destabilise the government using a thick footballer’s name as a frontman – the Government had already given money to councils to make sure these children are fed so totally pointless.”
The Welsh Government has extended free school meals for those eligible through the school holidays up to and including Easter 2021.
Commenting on Simon Hart’s vote, Alistair Cameron, Welsh Liberal Democrat Senedd Candidate for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire said: “Simon Hart’s recent voting choices demonstrate callous neglect for struggling families. Whilst Kirsty Williams in the Senedd has been ensuring that poverty should not mean hunger for our most disadvantaged children, our MP has chosen to deny children across the border the funding that could stop them from going hungry. I am deeply disappointed in our MP.”
The Herald asked the Conservatives’ Education Shadow Minister in the Senedd, Suzy Davies MS, to say whether or not she supported the Welsh Government’s decision to extend free school meal provision.
A spokesperson replied: “The UK Government has invested more than £4 billion in Wales to fight Covid-19 which the Welsh Government are able to use to fund support for people including free school meals during holidays.”
“While the primary duty to feed children lies with the parents, we recognise lockdowns and other restrictions have placed real pressure on family budgets, especially where people haven’t been able to access support or have to use convenience shops which can be more expensive.
“Ensuring children stay physically and mentally healthy during this time is a priority so that they can get the best out of their education and not let Covid-19 define their future. But any scheme must support those who truly need it; those that can afford to contribute should.”
The £4bn claimed to be ‘invested’ in Wales is funding the UK Government was obliged to provide to our country using the Barnett funding formula. It came as a result of the UK spending further money in other parts of the UK to tackle COVID-19.
Community
Milford Haven Town Council seeks nominations for 2025 Citizens’ Awards

MILFORD HAVEN TOWN COUNCIL is inviting residents to put forward their local heroes for recognition in this year’s Citizens’ Awards.
The annual awards celebrate the efforts of individuals and groups who go above and beyond to make Milford Haven a better place—voluntarily and without any form of payment.
Nominations are now open, and members of the public are encouraged to take a moment to think about those who deserve a special thank you. Whether it’s someone who supports vulnerable neighbours, leads a youth group, organises community events, or simply goes out of their way to help others, the Town Council wants to hear about them.
A spokesperson for the council said: “These awards are a fantastic way to recognise the unsung heroes of our town—the people whose efforts too often go unnoticed. If you know someone who gives their time freely to benefit the local community, we urge you to nominate them.”
Nominations must be submitted by 12:00pm on Tuesday, April 22, 2025.
To obtain a nomination form:
- Email: admin@milfordhaven-tc.gov.wales
- Contact the Town Council via its Facebook page
- Telephone: 01646 692505 to request a postal form
Please note: Awards can only be granted to those working in a voluntary capacity, and previous award recipients are not eligible for nomination.
For inspiration, you can view highlights from last year’s ceremony via Milford Haven Town Council’s Facebook page:
facebook.com/milfordhaventowncouncil/posts/pfbid02f7WhKXhjtDxEqV68ujznDvFX89yhBYe8dQgXtqqY19Yb7bC7SeNYW6Ua42E4Ehevl
The council encourages everyone to get involved and help shine a light on the incredible community spirit that defines Milford Haven.
Entertainment
The authentic sound of The Rolling Stones… with the world’s premier Jagger lookalike

CAPTURING the authentic sound and spirit of The Greatest Rock n’ Roll Band In The World, NOT THE ROLLING STONES have played festivals, theatres and private gigs throughout Europe, the middle east and the UK. This May, they will appear here on the Torch Stage in Pembrokeshire!
Featuring the best Mick Jagger lookalike you will ever see, truly international tribute act in demand all over Europe as well as the UK, will take you back to the Golden Age of The Stones- from Satisfaction to Sympathy for the Devil… You won’t believe it’s not Jagger!
Based on the Rolling Stones, an English rock band formed in London in 1962 and active for over six decades, they were one of the most popular, influential, and enduring bands of the rock era and pioneered the gritty, rhythmically driven sound that came to define hard rock, and Not The Rolling Stones carry on that legacy today.
They have the unique asset of a ‘Mick and Keith’ who stagger audiences with their authenticity, also attested by the many TV and film credits they have between them.
Backed by a superb group of professional musicians that love the music they are playing; they convey their enthusiasm for the work of the world’s greatest rock and roll band.
Not the Rolling Stones will be on the Torch Theatre stage on Friday 16 May at 7.30pm. Tickets are £25. Visit the website for further details www.torchtheatre.co.uk or phone the Box Office on (01646) 695267.
Business
Wales leads Britain in export growth for financial and professional services

Financial exports soar by 63.5% to £4.3bn
WALES has outpaced every other part of Great Britain in export growth for financial and related professional services, according to a new report by TheCityUK.
The report, Exporting from across Britain: Financial and related professional services 2025, reveals that exports from Wales surged by 63.5% in 2022, reaching £4.3bn—significantly ahead of the national average.
Across Great Britain, total financial and related professional services exports rose by 18.4% to £158bn, with nearly half (47%) generated outside London. Wales contributed 2.9% of the UK’s total financial services exports and 2% of the related professional services total.
The report provides a breakdown of 2022 data by region and nation, highlighting the growing contribution of areas outside London in strengthening the UK’s role as a global financial centre.
In terms of export destinations, 27% of Wales’s financial services exports went to the European Union, with the remaining 73% reaching markets across the rest of the world.
Tom Bray, TheCityUK Chair for Wales and Senior Office Partner (Cardiff) at Eversheds Sutherland, said: “It’s great to see such strong growth in Wales for financial and related professional services exports. Our skill and ability to provide high-quality financial and professional services plays an important role in driving growth in Wales, creating jobs and opportunities for communities across the nation.”
Anjalika Bardalai, Chief Economist and Head of Research at TheCityUK, added: “In 2022, Wales had an extremely strong year of export growth, albeit from a lower base than most regions. Nearly half of all UK exports in financial and related services now come from outside London, reinforcing the UK’s strength as an international financial hub and the importance of regional contributions.”
Policy recommendations
TheCityUK report also outlines a series of recommendations for industry, government, and regulators to support export growth in Wales and beyond. These fall under three key areas:
1. Improving access to trade opportunities
- Better coordination between UK government, devolved administrations, and investment bodies.
- Align local growth strategies with national trade goals.
- Launch a pilot national brokerage scheme to connect capital with investable projects.
2. Expanding global market access
- Finalise FTAs with Switzerland and India, ensuring better market access and digital trade provisions.
- Use talks with the Gulf Cooperation Council to promote regulatory cooperation.
- Strengthen regulatory dialogues with major markets like the US, EU, Japan, and Singapore.
- Replicate successful models like the UK-Switzerland MRA with other global financial centres.
- Encourage domestic and international investment into UK scale-up businesses.
3. Positioning the UK for future demand
- Make the UK a global hub for data, tech, and innovation.
- Establish the UK as the gateway for international investment.
- Focus development work on high-potential markets to maximise value.
The report underlines that Wales’s performance demonstrates the growing importance of the UK’s nations and regions in maintaining the country’s competitive edge on the global stage.
-
Health7 days ago
Senedd backs ‘buy-one-get-one-free’ ban amid obesity crisis
-
Charity6 days ago
Emergency services unite for charity at Pembroke Dock Fire Station
-
Sport6 days ago
Kildunne hat-trick rips Wales apart in record-breaking Six Nations clash
-
Community6 days ago
Tenby comes alive with eccentricity as Steampunk Festival returns in style
-
Business7 days ago
The White Hart Inn, St Dogmaels, set to make changes
-
Politics7 days ago
Welsh ministers ’embarrassed’ over Crown Estate devolution
-
Politics7 days ago
Pembrokeshire 28-day camping rule could be changed in May
-
Community7 days ago
NRW criticised over ‘very little empathy’ on future of visitor centres