News
Hours extension granted to farm shop

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Licensing Sub-Committee approved an application to extend the opening hours of a farm shop and café in the tiny hamlet of Bubbleton, near Penally.
Meeting on Tuesday, April 27, the Committee considered an application made by Bubbleton Farm Ltd that would allow an extension to its licensing hours the café could provide further catering provision, including serving alcohol, until 10 pm at night.
None of the relevant statutory authorities, Dyfed-Powys Police and the Council’s environmental health department objected to the application.
The Committee accepted that, in the absence of specific observations from those bodies, it had to accept they were content with the application and believed it a routine matter that did not need their involvement.
Bubbleston Farm has a licence to serve alcohol during its regular opening hours every day between 9 am and 6 pm. It operates in accordance with those provisions and has done so for some time without incident.
Presenting the application for Bubbleton Farm Ltd, Thomas Evans told Committee members that the extension to hours sought was to meet demand and secure the future of the enterprise.
The extended hours did not mean, Mr Evans said, the location would host a bar every night of the week. The café needed to extend its licensing hours to allow the hosting of occasional events; for example, barbecues, at which alcohol could be legally served.
Questioned by the Chair of the sub-committee, Cllr Tim Evans, Mr Evans said that the last year of Covid restrictions had proven gruelling.
Mr Evans said there was increased local interest in attending outdoor catering events, such as those covered by the application.
There was evidence of a sophisticated local customer base who appreciated the chance to go to occasional barbecues outside their homes and have a drink with their food.
He explained the Farm’s planned to hold barbecues during the summer months and that each event would end before dusk.
Mr Evans continued to say the barbecues would be organised on a more-or-less ad hoc basis, depending on the weather. Details of an event would be circulated on social media in the three days leading up to one.
The Committee had two written objections.
The first objection came from a neighbour and expressed concern about the possibility of ‘late night revelry’ and the potential that, were music played, the quiet locality would become ‘a mini Glastonbury. A thought which the correspondent wrote, ‘fills us with horror’.
Asked to address the question of music being played at the premises, Thomas Evans could not recall asking for a live music licence. There was no indication of one being requested on the licensing officer’s report. Although the box was ticked on the application form the subsequent section was blank.
Mr Evans told members of the Committee he did not want a live music licence.
Recorded background music played during the day and current evening hours and that was enough. He explained with his own young children living on the Farm, he was mindful of potential disturbance and did not require a licence for live music.
The second letter of objection came from the non-resident owner of a nearby property.
That letter said: ‘Whilst I am not always present at the property (my wife and I share our time between the property and our primary residence in Berkshire), I am concerned that the proposed extension of the hours for the sale of alcohol will have a negative impact on the relative peace and tranquillity we enjoy at the property’.
The Committee members noted the objections, although neither objector was at the meeting.
Cllr Tim Evans noted the comprehensive way in which the applicant both prepared and presented its case.
After a brief retirement to consider its decision, the Committee approved the application.
Community
Police operation in St Florence after girl goes missing

A LARGE police response was launched in St Florence on Sunday morning (Apr 6) following reports of a missing child.
Emergency services, including multiple police vehicles and a helicopter, were seen speeding to the quiet Pembrokeshire village shortly after 10:00am with sirens sounding.
The Herald understands that the missing person was a six-year-old girl, and that officers began immediate door-to-door inquiries in an effort to locate her.
One local resident said: “Police knocked on my door at around 10:30am saying a six-year-old was missing and they were concerned. They were asking for any information and knocking on all the properties.”
Another witness added: “I saw a police helicopter just after ten-o-clock in the morning. There was so much police activity— so many police cars.”
Fortunately, the girl was found safe and well a short time later.
Tenby, Saundersfoot and Narberth Police posted an update on social media, saying: “There has been a large police presence in St Florence this morning following a report of a missing person.
“We can confirm that the person has been located safe and well.
“Thank you to the local community for their support and patience.”
Health
New patient deal aims to cut NHS waiting times across Wales

A NEW deal between the NHS and the public is at the centre of a plan to drive down the longest waiting times for healthcare in Wales.
Health Secretary Jeremy Miles is expected to unveil a strategy this week aimed at reducing the overall waiting list by 200,000 patients by March 2026. The plan also sets targets to eliminate two-year waits for planned treatments and restore a maximum eight-week wait for diagnostic tests.
A key part of the announcement is the introduction of a new “patient deal”, which aims to improve transparency, reduce missed appointments and ensure better preparation for surgery. This deal will be incorporated into updated referral-to-treatment guidelines due later this month.
What the new deal includes:
- Faster access to planned care with patients told how long they can expect to wait once added to the list.
- Waiting time tracking through the NHS Wales App, with updates available from June.
- Only fit and well patients will be added to surgical waiting lists, in line with evidence showing they recover more quickly and have better outcomes.
- Support to get surgery-ready, with help to improve health before treatment.
- Appointment changes, where patients will be offered two dates. If they miss both without good reason, they will be removed from the waiting list.
- Alternatives and risks explained, so patients are fully informed before deciding on surgery.
Each year, around 700,000 outpatient appointments in Wales are either missed by patients or cancelled. Health boards will now be under stricter obligations to reduce these disruptions, and to minimise the number of cancellations made by the NHS itself.
Mr Miles said: “The NHS will do all it can to prioritise faster access to treatment. In return, we are asking the public to prioritise and keep their appointments so that, together, we make the best possible use of scarce NHS resources.
“We cannot continue losing one in seven appointments due to no-shows or other avoidable reasons. These missed slots delay care for everyone and waste vital resources.
“Evidence shows people in better health recover more quickly and require shorter hospital stays. By preparing patients properly and ensuring they understand all treatment options, we can deliver better outcomes and greater efficiency.”
The Welsh Government hopes the new plan will bring waiting lists closer to pre-pandemic levels. As well as reducing overall waiting list size by 200,000 by March 2026, the government has pledged to ensure no one waits more than two years for planned treatment and to restore the eight-week target for diagnostic testing.
Health boards will be expected to continue transforming how they deliver planned care over the next 12 months. This includes adopting more regional working models and implementing recommendations from the Ministerial Advisory Group on NHS Performance and Productivity, due to report later this month.
News
Welsh pensioners to receive state pension increase amidst mixed reactions

STARTING this month, over 600,000 pensioners across Wales will see their State Pensions rise by up to £470 annually, following the UK Government’s adherence to the ‘triple lock’ policy. This policy ensures that pensions increase each year by the highest of average earnings growth, inflation, or a minimum of 2.5%.
Government’s Position
The UK Government has emphasized its commitment to supporting pensioners through the triple lock. In a recent statement, it was noted that this commitment would result in the State Pension increasing by up to £1,900 over the course of the current Parliament.
Opposition and Think Tank Critiques
However, the policy has faced criticism from various quarters. The Liberal Democrats have raised concerns about the real impact of the pension increase, pointing out that due to the freezing of income tax thresholds, a significant portion of the pension rise could be offset by increased tax liabilities. They estimate that a typical basic rate tax-paying pensioner might see 77% of the pension increase negated by these tax measures.
Additionally, the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) has questioned the sustainability of the triple lock mechanism. They argue that while the policy aims to protect pensioners’ incomes, it may not be the most efficient approach and could lead to unpredictable fiscal burdens.
Pensions Minister’s Stance
Torsten Bell, the newly appointed Pensions Minister, has previously described the triple lock as “rubbish” and advocated for its replacement with a system that aligns state pension increases with benefits for jobseekers and the long-term sick. Despite his past remarks, recent reports indicate that he is now “fully committed” to maintaining the triple lock.
Economic Implications
Financial experts have also highlighted potential unintended consequences of the pension increase. The freezing of personal tax allowances means that some pensioners may find themselves pushed into higher tax brackets, thereby reducing the net benefit of the pension rise. This situation underscores the complex interplay between pension policies and tax regulations.
In summary, while the increase in State Pensions is a welcome development for many Welsh pensioners, it has sparked a broader debate about the effectiveness and sustainability of the triple lock policy, as well as its interaction with the broader tax system.
-
Business5 days ago
SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembrokeshire farm worker accused of threatening to burn employer’s farm
-
Crime6 days ago
‘Yeah but no but’ insult to female officer lands Monkton man with court fine
-
Features6 days ago
‘We weren’t wild. We were unprotected’: A generation groomed and forgotten
-
Crime5 days ago
Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe
-
Politics7 days ago
Probe into ‘escalating’ horse fly-grazing in Pembrokeshire
-
Crime6 days ago
Inquest reveals tragic consequences of inadequate medication in prison
-
Community6 days ago
Tenby boat lift signals start of tourist season in Pembrokeshire