Health
Mark Drakeford in Milford Haven as pub tills ring for first weekend since December

As part of the easing of lockdown restrictions, hospitality business owners let out a sigh of relief this week after a long winter as it was announced by Mark Drakeford that the sector could open – partially.
On Monday, many of us went for a pint as pubs, cafes, and restaurants can now serve customers outdoors.
First Minister Mark Drakeford visited Milford Haven on Sunday (May 2) in last minute campaigning before the election on Thursday.
It was the first weekend of trade since pubs were forced to shut before Christmas.
Indoor hospitality is still set to return on May 17 he confirmed.
Announcing the changes officially for the first time last week, First Minister said: “The public health context in Wales remains favourable, with cases falling and our vaccination programme continues to go from strength to strength.
“Because meeting outdoors continues to be lower risk than meeting indoors, we are able to bring forward changes to allow any six people to meet outdoors.
“This will provide more opportunities for people, especially young people, to meet outdoors with their friends.
“This will undoubtedly have a significant positive impact on people’s wellbeing. I’m also pleased to confirm outdoor hospitality will be allowed to reopen from Monday 26 April.
“These changes will help the hospitality sector recover after a difficult twelve months. It is thanks to the continuing efforts of people across Wales we are able to introduce this change. Together, we will continue to keep Wales safe.”
Reaction to the changes
Welcoming the announcement Jane Dodds, leader of the Welsh Liberal Democrats, said it was “great news”.
She said: “As a nation we must all work together to ensure the vaccination programme continues and that the lockdowns and closures we’ve been through never need to return.”
Welsh Conservative Senedd leader, Andrew RT Davies, said: “Labour had ample opportunity to bring forward a roadmap out of lockdown, but refused to do so.
“Thanks to the UK’s great vaccination story much more detail could have been announced prior to the election period… but Labour chose to play politics instead of adopting the Welsh Conservative roadmap.”
Mark Reckless, from the Abolish the Welsh Assembly Party, said: “This is getting to the point of testing election rules to breaking point.
“The Labour leader is using his platform as first minister to make political announcements during an election campaign.”
So what do businesses have to do by law?
Welsh Government guidance states: “As an employer or business operator, you have a legal responsibility to protect employees and visitors; and anyone else on the premises, from risks to their health and safety. You also need to assess the risks from COVID-19 and take reasonable measures to minimise exposure to the virus.
“Risk assessments are used to identify and address these risks or minimise them. When undertaking your specific COVID-19 risk assessment you must comply with the Coronavirus Regulations and have regard to the statutory guidance and use this document to inform your decisions and control measures, recognising you cannot eliminate all risks.
“Risk assessments must be reviewed and updated regularly, whenever circumstances change including whenever the coronavirus alert levels change in Wales.
“A risk assessment is not about creating huge amounts of paperwork, but rather about identifying sensible measures to control risks. Your risk assessment will help you decide whether you have done everything you reasonably need to. There are interactive tools available to support you from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) at Managing risks and risk assessments at work.
“These risk assessments will be the starting point for implementing the reasonable measures that are required to be taken to minimise exposure to the coronavirus on premises open to the public and in workplaces.
“This involves considering issues such as: whether ventilation is adequate; hygiene factors including hand washing and access to hand washing facilities; ensuring physical distancing is taking place and if 2m is achievable; the extent to which the use of screens, PPE and face coverings can mitigate risks, especially where the 2m distance is not achievable.”
Made possible by the vaccine?
As of April 29th, Public Health Wales said a total of 1,816,451 first doses of the Covid-19 vaccine have now been given in Wales.
The agency said 732,643 second doses have also been administered.
Wales is currently in phase two of its vaccination programme, meaning the NHS is now inviting everyone aged 40 to 49 to be vaccinated, after successfully offering the vaccine to everyone in the JCVI priority groups 1-9.
It comes as an estimated six in 10 adults (61 per cent) in private households would have tested positive for Covid-19 antibodies in the week to April 11th, the ONS said on April 28th.
This is up from around one in two adults, or 48.2 per cent, two weeks earlier.
On April 7th, Wales became the first country in Britain to administer the Moderna vaccine.
It was also announced on April 14th that all over 16s who live with an adult with a weakened immune system are to be prioritised for Covid-19 jabs, following advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).
Adults who are immunosuppressed have a weaker immune system to fight infections naturally and are more likely to have poorer outcomes after contracting coronavirus.
This includes those with blood cancer, HIV or those who are having immunosuppressive treatment.
What about hospitality that can’t operate outdoors?
The First Minister has announced that an extra £200m is available to help businesses which are not yet able to open.
This will help top up the non-domestic rates grants. Mr Drakeford said it means hospitality, tourism, leisure and non-essential retail businesses, which must remain closed will be eligible for a third payment of between £4,000 and £5,000 to help them meet ongoing operating costs while they cannot trade.
“This is in top of the announcement earlier this week extending the business rates holiday for retail, leisure and hospitality businesses for the whole of the next financial year,” Mr Drakeford added.
“We have made well in excess of £2bn available to businesses over the course of the last year to help them through the pandemic, which is over and above the support available from the UK Government’s schemes.
“This is the most generous business support scheme available in the UK. I’m very pleased we’ve been able to safeguard more than 160,000 jobs in these most difficult of times.”
Controlling the crowds
Hospitality catering to households who have effectively been locked down all spring will be a welcome sight to many after large crowds recently descended upon Cardiff Bay.
Police had been given special powers after crowds gathered in Cardiff Bay on April 2nd, despite coronavirus restrictions still being in place.
Cardiff council said a significant amount of rubbish had been left by “large groups of people intent on breaking Covid-19 restrictions”.
South Wales Police has put a dispersal order in place, giving officers the power to exclude people from the area.
Covid rules at that time stated six people from two different households could meet outdoors. It followed similar scenes outside the Senedd earlier that week, when three police officers were injured.
Supt Marc Attwell said: “As restrictions have eased, the need for personal responsibility is critical and it is extremely disappointing that a small minority are willing to put themselves, and others, in harm’s way.
“Cardiff Bay in particular has attracted large crowds over the past few days.
“The behaviour seen over the past three days has placed additional pressure on not only the police but the local authority as well, and meant that officers have been diverted from other parts of the force.”
“We are asking people in groups of six or more who are thinking of attending or organising a gathering at the Senedd over this bank holiday weekend not to do so.”
Officers arrested a 20-year-old man for a public order offence, a 22-year-old woman was arrested for being drunk and disorderly and for possession of a Class A substance and a 35-year-old-man was also arrested for possession of a Class A substance.
The council said the trail of litter left a “huge task” for clean-up staff as “bins were left unused and the ground was littered with rubbish”.
“Despite the preventative measures put in place by the council, in partnership with South Wales Police, the Welsh government’s coronavirus regulations were again broken by a significant number of people illegally gathering in Cardiff Bay,” the authority said.
“The rules are clear, six people, from two households are allowed to meet outdoors, maintaining two metre social distancing.
“Breaking these rules significantly increases the chances of Covid-19 cases rising in the city.”
Now, with places for people to socialise in an organised manner, scenes like this should hopefully be avoided as people safely enjoy themselves.
Health
Welsh public want NHS, cost of living and infrastructure prioritised

Report highlights top concerns and calls for long-term vision
THE WELSH public want the government to prioritise improvements to the NHS, tackle the cost of living, and invest in infrastructure, according to Deloitte’s latest State of the State report.
The 2025 report, published in partnership with the independent think tank Reform, reflects the views of both public sector leaders and the people who use public services.
For the third consecutive year, the state of the NHS and the cost of living were the most pressing concerns for people in Wales, with both issues cited by 75% of those surveyed. Social care for the elderly and vulnerable adults followed, mentioned by 48%.
Jobs and the economy (47%) and affordable housing (43%) were also high on the public’s list of priorities. One of the most notable increases was in concern about infrastructure—roads, railways and broadband—with 42% calling for improvements, a rise of six percentage points on last year.
When asked about the biggest drivers of future growth, respondents in Wales chose improving the nation’s health (45%), boosting education and skills (44%), and increased investment in infrastructure (39%).
Despite these priorities, most people were pessimistic about the outlook. Some 75% expected the NHS to stay the same or get worse, while 74% said the same about infrastructure.
Council chief executives interviewed for the report stressed that government infrastructure spending would be key to future growth. Other public sector leaders highlighted progress in Welsh transport, crediting a clear vision and strong partnership working for recent successes.
The biggest challenge facing public services, according to respondents, was a lack of funding, with 66% citing it as a concern. A further 55% expressed fears about a loss of trust in public services.
While trust in the Welsh Government remains higher than in the UK, Scottish or Northern Irish governments, the public remain sceptical about delivery. Some 63% said they had low trust in its ability to deliver major projects on time and on budget, while 61% doubted it could deliver outcomes people want.
On the question of taxation, Welsh public opinion was divided. Some 31% supported higher taxes and public spending, while 37% preferred lower taxes and reduced spending. Nearly half (47%) said they expected higher taxes and spending regardless of their preference.
Deloitte’s interviews with senior public sector leaders revealed ambitious long-term goals, including frictionless digital interaction with government services, improved collaboration between agencies, place-based planning for integrated transport and healthcare, and a shift toward long-term, commercially aware decision-making.
Dave Tansley, Deloitte’s senior partner for the South West and Wales, said: “The State of the State 2025 report shows the Welsh public remain concerned about the cost of living and the NHS. But our survey also found heightened interest in infrastructure, more so than in other parts of the UK, suggesting the public recognises the importance of connectivity to economic growth.”
He added: “Infrastructure investment supports jobs, housing, roads and rail—but more importantly, it provides the platform for long-term economic resilience. With public finances under pressure and the 2026 Senedd election approaching, the next administration faces difficult choices and the chance to deliver transformational change.”
Ian Howse, Deloitte’s senior partner for Wales, said: “Public sector leaders want bold reform—services that are joined-up, citizen-focused and tech-driven. While the Welsh Government is addressing immediate pressures, our research points to the need for a long-term vision. Leaders report growing urgency to deliver ahead of the next election, especially on economic growth, which is a positive sign for the future.”
Health
Campaign launched to reverse sharp fall in organ donation consent in Wales

Woman from Pembrokeshire in campaign to raise awareness
A NEW campaign has been launched to reverse a worrying decline in family consent rates for organ donation in Wales—now the lowest in the UK.
Just five years ago, Wales had the highest consent rate in Britain. Today, it lags behind all other UK nations, with a 56% consent rate—down from 77% in 2018/19—despite having pioneered a “presumed consent” law in 2015.
Under that system, unless individuals opt out via the NHS Organ Donor Register, they are presumed to have agreed to donate their organs after death. But transplant specialists say the law may have had an unintended consequence: fewer families are talking about donation.
“Many people think presumed consent means everything is sorted, so they don’t have the conversation,” said Bethan Moss, a specialist nurse in Wales. “But families are always asked to confirm, and if they’re unsure, they often say no.”
The new campaign—The Best Thing You’ll Do Today—encourages people to both sign the register and speak with their loved ones.
“It’s about peace of mind,” Moss added. “If families know what their relative wanted, they’re far more likely to agree.”
More than 1.3 million people in Wales have declared their willingness to donate organs since the register began in 1994. Over 10,000 patients in Wales have received life-saving transplants. But the lack of conversation is proving deadly.
Across the UK, consent rates are falling, but the drop in Wales is steepest. Current family consent rates are 60% in England, 61% in Scotland, and 66% in Northern Ireland.
“Talking is key,” said Joanna Chalker, a senior nurse with NHS Blood and Transplant who has worked in Wales for 16 years. “When someone has signed the register or told their family, the consent rate jumps to 90%. That can mean the difference between life and death.”
One of those lives saved was 35-year-old Pembrokeshire mum Jessica (pictured), who was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cholangitis—a rare liver condition—in 2016. After two false alarms, she finally received a successful transplant in 2022.
“I’d always been healthy, so the diagnosis was a shock,” she said. “But I was ready. Now I’m walking the kids to school again and loving life. Organ donation gave me everything back.”
Every day in the UK, someone dies waiting for a transplant. Right now, around 8,000 people—including over 200 children—are on the waiting list. A single donor can help up to nine people.
To register your decision or find out more, visit: www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-your-decision
Health
Welsh Government advances Baby Bundle initiative to support families

THE WELSH GOVERNMENT is set to roll out its revamped Baby Bundle programme aimed at easing the financial burden on expectant families, particularly in some of the country’s most deprived areas. The initiative, which remains a cornerstone of the Programme for Government, was detailed by Dawn Bowden MS, Minister for Children and Social Care, in a recent statement.
Under the new scheme, £2.5 million has been earmarked for the 2025–26 financial year. Families living within core Flying Start areas will receive a Baby Bundle designed to provide essential items such as a warm blanket, clothing, and crucial information about local support services. The bundles are intended to help reduce everyday costs for families and are aligned with the Government’s broader Child Poverty Strategy.
In addition to the primary distribution, health practitioners will be able to offer Baby Bundles through Flying Start Outreach to a limited number of families outside these designated areas who are in need of extra support. The programme’s targeted approach is expected to make a tangible difference by alleviating some of the financial pressures faced by those living in economically challenged communities.
The tender specification for the procurement of the Baby Bundle programme is scheduled to go live later this week. The procurement process will run until mid-May 2025, with officials set to assess bids and aim for a contract award by the end of June. Once the process is successfully completed, the registration for receiving the Baby Bundle is anticipated to commence by the end of November.
The Government is also working closely with midwives and other health professionals to finalise the registration process, ensuring a smooth rollout. As part of its wider efforts to boost the uptake of Welsh Benefits, the Baby Bundle initiative will feature prominently in campaigns designed to raise awareness among families about the available support.
This proactive step underscores the Welsh Government’s commitment to not only meeting immediate needs but also to fostering long-term improvements in family welfare across the region. Further updates on the programme’s progress are expected in the coming months.
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity6 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn