Health
Urgent second dose vaccine appointments issued for mass vaccination centres
SECOND dose Oxford AstraZeneca appointments for mass vaccination centres across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire have been urgently issued for week beginning 24 May, Hywel Dda University Health Board has confirmed.
The health board has identified a technical issue that has caused a delay in appointment letters being issued to people who received their first Oxford AstraZeneca at a mass vaccination centre between Monday 8th March and Sunday 14 March.
This issue has now been rectified and the health board has urgently posted appointment letters to everyone affected. SMS (text messages) have also been sent to those the health board has mobile numbers for.

The technical issue has also resulted in some people who had a first vaccine at a GP practice receiving an appointment inviting them to attend a mass vaccination centre. If you received your first vaccine at a GP practice you must attend your GP practice for your second dose to ensure the correct vaccine is available for you.
If you have received an invite to attend a mass vaccination centre in error, there is no need to contact the health board as these appointments have automatically been cancelled. Please disregard the mass vaccination centre invite and keep your appointment with your GP or wait for them to contact you with your appointment time if you have not already received one.
Bethan Lewis, Interim Assistant Director of Public Health at Hywel Dda UHB, said: “As soon as we identified there had been a delay with second vaccine appointments being issued to people who had their first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine at a mass vaccination centre between Monday 8th March and Sunday 14 March we immediately reissued all letters and sent SMS text messages wherever possible.
“These appointments are due to start Monday 24 May so it is possible some people may receive their appointment letter late and we apologise for this but please don’t worry if this happens to you. “If you receive your letter and the appointment has past, please contact our booking team on 0300 303 8322 so we can book you a new appointment. We will make sure you have your second appointment on schedule. Please wait to receive your letter before phoning us. We thank you for your understanding and patience.”
Health
Nursing warning over ‘deadly mix’ of staff shortages and complex care
RCN says patients are at growing risk as nurses report unsafe staffing levels
NURSING leaders have warned that collapsing growth in the registered nurse workforce, combined with increasingly complex patient needs, is creating a “deadly mix” for patients.
The Royal College of Nursing said staff across hospital and community settings are being left struggling to keep people safe, with more than a quarter saying nurse numbers on their last shift were so far below what was needed that there was a high risk of harm.
The warning comes from the RCN’s latest Last Shift survey, which gathered responses from more than 13,000 nursing staff across the UK.
Professor Nicola Ranger, the RCN’s General Secretary and Chief Executive, is expected to tell more than 3,000 frontline nursing staff at the union’s annual Congress in Liverpool that governments are failing in their duty to keep patients safe.
She will say that widespread registered nurse vacancies are always unsafe, but that the risk is now being made worse by an ageing and sicker population with more complex needs.
Four in five nursing staff said clinical complexity had increased over the past two years, while only one in ten said staffing was at the right level to meet all patient needs. More than two thirds said they were being forced to make difficult decisions about which care to prioritise.
In Wales, nurses and health care support workers described growing pressure across wards and community services.
A nurse working on an older people’s ward in the NHS in Wales said: “We need to increase the agreed establishment; nurse to patient ratio due to increasing acuity, dependency and complexity of patients’ condition and presentation.
“More and more patients are now presenting with worsening cognitive function and often display challenging behaviour.”
A health care support worker from an inpatient mental health unit in Wales said: “Our ward has been bombarded with high acuity for around a year now and staffing levels have barely seen an increase.”
The RCN said the findings also show the toll on staff wellbeing. More than three quarters of respondents said they felt emotionally exhausted on their last shift, with exhaustion highest among those who said their shift was understaffed.
RCN Wales Executive Director Nicola Williams said: “Nursing staff across Wales are telling us clearly that staffing levels are not matching the complexity and intensity of care patients now need.
“Too many shifts are operating without enough registered nurses to deliver safe and effective care.
“When more than a quarter of nursing staff describe staffing levels as unsafe and nearly half report compromised care, we need to listen and take action to address it.”
She said members were “going above and beyond every day” but were demoralised, missing breaks and having training time cancelled.
Ms Williams added: “They cannot continue carrying the burden of workforce shortages indefinitely. Emotional exhaustion is becoming normalised across the profession and that is dangerous for staff, patients and the future sustainability of services.
“The newly elected Welsh Government must urgently invest in growing and retaining the nursing workforce, ensure they have the training they require, alongside delivering safe staffing levels that are properly planned and enforced.
“Without action, patient safety risks will continue to grow.”
The RCN said the survey showed an urgent need for workforce investment, robust nurse staffing plans based on patient need, and action to improve recruitment and retention across Wales.
Health
Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens
More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform
OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging the new Welsh Government to act before pressure on the NHS and social care system deepens further.
More than 300 members of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists in Wales have signed an open letter calling for a major shift towards prevention, early intervention and care closer to home.
They say too much support is currently arriving only after people have reached crisis point.
The therapists argue that earlier help in the community could reduce hospital admissions, ease pressure on overstretched services and improve lives across Wales.
Occupational therapists work across the health and care system, supporting premature babies and families in neonatal care, helping children take part in school, enabling adults to stay in or return to work, and helping older people live safely in their own homes.
The Royal College says the profession is often overlooked, despite playing a vital role in keeping people independent and reducing demand on hospitals.
Its members are calling for five key changes, including embedding occupational therapists in every community healthcare cluster, improving workforce planning, putting prevention at the heart of health policy, ending inconsistencies in provision, and opening leadership roles to occupational therapists.
Paul Smith, RCOT Policy and Public Affairs Lead for Wales, said: “Wales can’t afford to keep waiting for a crisis to happen.
“Occupational therapists are already preventing hospital admissions, easing pressure on stretched services and supporting people to do the occupations they want and need to do.
“But they need to be positioned to provide the right support at the right time to make maximum impact.”
The call comes amid continued concern over waiting times, delayed discharges and pressure on hospitals, including in rural parts of Wales where patients often face long journeys for care.
RCOT says ministers, health boards, councils and sector leaders must now work with the profession to ensure people receive the right support earlier, closer to home, and before problems spiral into crisis.
Health
New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances
PEMBROKESHIRE patients are likely to be asking what a major NHS shake-up means for the future of hospital services closer to home after a new regional health body formally took over planning across south west Wales.
Health chiefs this week confirmed that regional working has formally transferred from ARCH (A Regional Collaboration for Health) to the South West Wales Regional Joint Committee (RJC), bringing together Hywel Dda and Swansea Bay university health boards under a new leadership structure.
The move is being presented by NHS leaders as a way to improve coordination, reduce waiting times and strengthen specialist healthcare across the region.
Key programmes expected to continue under the new body include cancer care, stroke services, vascular treatment, orthopaedics, pathology and eye care.
But for many in Pembrokeshire, the announcement may trigger familiar concerns about whether “regional working” could eventually mean more services being delivered further east, requiring patients to travel longer distances to Carmarthen or Swansea.
Withybush Hospital remains fiercely valued by local communities, and previous changes to hospital services have often sparked strong public reaction.
For patients in more rural parts of Pembrokeshire — including St Davids, Fishguard, Newport, Crymych and Tenby — access to healthcare can already involve journeys of 40 to 60 miles or more for appointments and treatment.
While health officials insist the new structure is about improving care and making better use of expertise across the region, questions are likely to be asked locally over how Pembrokeshire’s voice will be represented in decisions affecting frontline services.
Among the issues patients may want clarified are whether services currently provided at Withybush could be affected, how travel difficulties for rural communities will be considered, and whether the new regional approach will improve care locally or lead to greater centralisation.
The Regional Joint Committee replaces ARCH, which since 2015 brought together Swansea Bay University Health Board, Hywel Dda University Health Board and Swansea University to support healthcare innovation and service planning.
Health leaders say the new committee will continue to support research, technology and partnership working, while involving patients and communities in shaping services.
But in here Pembrokeshire, many will this plan weaken Withybush, not strengthen it.
-
News2 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime4 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Community1 day agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime4 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime4 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government6 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town








