Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Senedd to decide on Caldey Island sex inquiry as petition reaches 5000 signatures

Published

on

A PETITION signed by over 5,000 people calling for a probe into child abuse allegations on a Pembrokeshire island, has led to a debate in the Senedd tomorrow (Monday, Nov 1)

The petition has been submitted by Kevin O’Connell, who says he is the victim of child abuse by priests and monks.

He says that he wants to persuade the Welsh Government to told an inquiry into the historic child abuse on Caldey Island.

He said: “Victims need the truth and answers as to why an ongoing investigation for 29 years has failed the victims. The inquiry will help to safeguard children in the future.”

In 2017 it came to light that the island has a long history of child sexual abuse after six women received compensation from the island’s abbey after being abused by Kotik. There are 21 victims who have now come forward and reported similar offences to Dyfed Powys Police with cases going back to the 1960s.

On a family holiday to the island when he was six years old, Kevin O’Connell said that he met the monk, Kotik. He said that they became friends and he began spending time alone with him.

“Caldey Island was a paradise. It was beautiful. I played with other children, the beach, volleyball and football, it was special. Father Thaddeus became very special to me, and he gave me the love I didn’t get at home from my Dad.”

Kotik, a former soldier who fought for the Free Polish army during the Second World War, moved to the island in 1947 and joined the strict Cistercian Order.

The monk was ordained a priest in 1956 and lived on the island until his death in 1992. It appears he was never questioned by police, who were not informed of allegations against him until 2014.

After the holiday Kevin says that Kotik kept in touch with him and sent him photos of Caldey Island in the post.

After becoming an altar boy he went on several more holidays to Caldey Island, arranged and funded by his local Catholic Church.

He never told his parents what Kotik did to him.

In 2019 Brother Daniel van Santvoort was asked for his response to the latest evidence that Kevin O’Connell was also abused on the island. Despite contacting the Brother several times, he never responded.  

Caldey Abbey, Caldey Island (Stock image)


SENEDD TO DECIDE ON INQUIRY

The petition coordinator says that there is a lack of accountability of the Cistercian Order of Caldey Abbey, and that victims have lost faith in the police investigation, that the local police have a conflict of interest and that the police have failed to conduct a full investigation.

A report submitted to the Welsh Government by Dinah Mulholland, Coordinator, Caldey Island Survivors Campaign makes shocking reading. He says: “Solicitors Michael Imperato and David Greenwood, acting on behalf of Caldey Island victims, both consider that from the scale of abuse reported by victims that it was perpetrated on an industrial scale, and that it is likely that Caldey was a hub for paedophiles.

“It is our opinion that it is likely that Caldey Island is known within paedophile networks as a safe place to be shielded, with the opportunity to perpetrate active or online abuse whilst on the island.
The abuse on Caldey could potentially be on a very significant scale. Over the decades there have been:

  • children who came on holiday with their families; referrals from RC churches in Wales and across the UK who came without their parents;
  • a primary school on the island and a reform school on the island.

Supporting documents show that the key messages from the campaign to the Petitions Committee are:
“That we are currently occupied with attempting to discover, on a voluntary and part-time basis, the scale of abuse by known and by other potential perpetrators. This is a huge job, it exceeds our capacity, and properly falls within the remit of the police or a public inquiry.

“We would urge the Senedd to hold a public inquiry into the abuse, and institutional facilitation/cover up of abuse by the Abbey, on Caldey Island. This inquiry, in our opinion, would need to consider any failings by statutory authorities to protect children who stayed on or visited the island, and any failings in investigations into the abuse. It would also need to consider the structural issues of the autonomy and lack of accountability of the Cistercian Order as it operates within Wales.

“If a public inquiry is unlikely to fall within Senedd powers or remit, or the Senedd considers that there is not enough evidence for a public inquiry to be warranted, then we would like to request that Welsh Government recommend a full and thorough investigation, by an external police force with expertise in large scale historic child sexual abuse, takes place.

“That may reveal the new information that would be required for a public inquiry.”

LAW SPECIALIST

Michael Imperato, Director & Head of Public & Administrative law at prominent Cardiff law firm Watkins & Gunn has advised that there are a number of reasons why a Public Inquiry is the only proper process that should be followed:
The advice is as follows:

“The Deputy Minster refers on a number of occasions to police investigations. The police are one of the bodies who would be significantly scrutinised by any such inquiry. There are various allegations by victims, which may or may not be unfounded, as to police complicity in “turning a blind eye” or subsequent “cover ups”. Numerous inquiries take place where there have been previous police investigations (Saville, Orgreave, IICSA, Infected Blood, Shipman) – often the investigation undertaken by the police is proved to be wholly inadequate. This is not a reason against a public inquiry.

“Child safeguarding is a critical issue and is of course devolved. It was common during the time that the sexual abuse was being undertaken, for Catholic schools in Wales and in England to send children to the island and for the Local Authority to allow – even to actively promote – holidaying families (with of course young children) to visit the island. Many of those children will then have been victims of abuse. Therefore, issues arise as to what schools and Local Authorities actually knew as to what was happening on Caldey, what steps did they take – or more pertinently – not take? Lessons must be learnt to ensure children are properly protected today.

“The Catholic church is quite obviously culpable and has a case to answer. What did the church authorities in Wales know of the abuse that was taking place on Caldey Island? How did they interact with other authorities/public bodies in Wales?

“The fact that the Inquiry is touching on matters from some time ago, should not be a deterrent. I am currently acting for several hundred Welsh victims from the Infected Blood Scandal, which concerns a time period, primarily, in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It could be argued that the fact that the matter concerns events some years ago, means that it is even more urgent that such events are scrutinized at this time. Indeed, one of the terms of reference of the Infected Blood Inquiry is why it has taken so long for there to be a thorough investigation, what happened and why? Just because there has been no investigation to date does not mean that it should not be investigated now.”

CAMPAIGNERS ARE SAYING:

1)Twenty six individuals have now come forward as victims of the paedophile monks. The police have failed to undertake an overarching investigation which is now standard practice following ‘Operation Yewtree’ .
2) An outside force needs to investigate the lack of police action as victims no longer trust that Dyfed Powys police will be willing to shine a spotlight on their friends at the Abbey. Why do I write ‘friends’? The lead chaplain of Dyfed Powys Police is the dean of Pembroke who has Caldey Island within his parish. The monastery appointed a safeguarding person but he is a former member of the south Wales police, turned monk and is a director of the estate of Caldey Island so it might be difficult to see him as independent.
3)Solicitors acting on behalf of the survivors believe Caldey was not just home to one paedophile monk but a hub for paedophile monks where they could come and go as they please and even hide away from police, which has been proven.
4) The police are failing in their duty of care not only towards past victims but also by not having any officers patrolling the island amongst the thousands of tourists visiting currently. The Cistercian order did not report past crimes against children to the police, yet are deemed adequate to safeguard children today by the police force failing to investigate properly.

(Cover photo: Father Thaddeus Kotik photographed with a child on Caldey Island, Wales, in the early 1980s.)

Community

Police operation in St Florence after girl goes missing

Published

on

A LARGE police response was launched in St Florence on Sunday morning (Apr 6) following reports of a missing child.

Emergency services, including multiple police vehicles and a helicopter, were seen speeding to the quiet Pembrokeshire village shortly after 10:00am with sirens sounding.

The Herald understands that the missing person was a six-year-old girl, and that officers began immediate door-to-door inquiries in an effort to locate her.

One local resident said: “Police knocked on my door at around 10:30am saying a six-year-old was missing and they were concerned. They were asking for any information and knocking on all the properties.”

Another witness added: “I saw a police helicopter just after ten-o-clock in the morning. There was so much police activity— so many police cars.”

Fortunately, the girl was found safe and well a short time later.

Tenby, Saundersfoot and Narberth Police posted an update on social media, saying: “There has been a large police presence in St Florence this morning following a report of a missing person.

“We can confirm that the person has been located safe and well.

“Thank you to the local community for their support and patience.”

Continue Reading

Health

New patient deal aims to cut NHS waiting times across Wales

Published

on

A NEW deal between the NHS and the public is at the centre of a plan to drive down the longest waiting times for healthcare in Wales.

Health Secretary Jeremy Miles is expected to unveil a strategy this week aimed at reducing the overall waiting list by 200,000 patients by March 2026. The plan also sets targets to eliminate two-year waits for planned treatments and restore a maximum eight-week wait for diagnostic tests.

A key part of the announcement is the introduction of a new “patient deal”, which aims to improve transparency, reduce missed appointments and ensure better preparation for surgery. This deal will be incorporated into updated referral-to-treatment guidelines due later this month.

What the new deal includes:

  • Faster access to planned care with patients told how long they can expect to wait once added to the list.
  • Waiting time tracking through the NHS Wales App, with updates available from June.
  • Only fit and well patients will be added to surgical waiting lists, in line with evidence showing they recover more quickly and have better outcomes.
  • Support to get surgery-ready, with help to improve health before treatment.
  • Appointment changes, where patients will be offered two dates. If they miss both without good reason, they will be removed from the waiting list.
  • Alternatives and risks explained, so patients are fully informed before deciding on surgery.

Each year, around 700,000 outpatient appointments in Wales are either missed by patients or cancelled. Health boards will now be under stricter obligations to reduce these disruptions, and to minimise the number of cancellations made by the NHS itself.

Mr Miles said: “The NHS will do all it can to prioritise faster access to treatment. In return, we are asking the public to prioritise and keep their appointments so that, together, we make the best possible use of scarce NHS resources.

“We cannot continue losing one in seven appointments due to no-shows or other avoidable reasons. These missed slots delay care for everyone and waste vital resources.

“Evidence shows people in better health recover more quickly and require shorter hospital stays. By preparing patients properly and ensuring they understand all treatment options, we can deliver better outcomes and greater efficiency.”

The Welsh Government hopes the new plan will bring waiting lists closer to pre-pandemic levels. As well as reducing overall waiting list size by 200,000 by March 2026, the government has pledged to ensure no one waits more than two years for planned treatment and to restore the eight-week target for diagnostic testing.

Health boards will be expected to continue transforming how they deliver planned care over the next 12 months. This includes adopting more regional working models and implementing recommendations from the Ministerial Advisory Group on NHS Performance and Productivity, due to report later this month.

Continue Reading

News

Welsh pensioners to receive state pension increase amidst mixed reactions

Published

on

STARTING this month, over 600,000 pensioners across Wales will see their State Pensions rise by up to £470 annually, following the UK Government’s adherence to the ‘triple lock’ policy. This policy ensures that pensions increase each year by the highest of average earnings growth, inflation, or a minimum of 2.5%.

Government’s Position

The UK Government has emphasized its commitment to supporting pensioners through the triple lock. In a recent statement, it was noted that this commitment would result in the State Pension increasing by up to £1,900 over the course of the current Parliament.

Opposition and Think Tank Critiques

However, the policy has faced criticism from various quarters. The Liberal Democrats have raised concerns about the real impact of the pension increase, pointing out that due to the freezing of income tax thresholds, a significant portion of the pension rise could be offset by increased tax liabilities. They estimate that a typical basic rate tax-paying pensioner might see 77% of the pension increase negated by these tax measures.

Additionally, the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) has questioned the sustainability of the triple lock mechanism. They argue that while the policy aims to protect pensioners’ incomes, it may not be the most efficient approach and could lead to unpredictable fiscal burdens.

Pensions Minister’s Stance

Torsten Bell, the newly appointed Pensions Minister, has previously described the triple lock as “rubbish” and advocated for its replacement with a system that aligns state pension increases with benefits for jobseekers and the long-term sick. Despite his past remarks, recent reports indicate that he is now “fully committed” to maintaining the triple lock.

Economic Implications

Financial experts have also highlighted potential unintended consequences of the pension increase. The freezing of personal tax allowances means that some pensioners may find themselves pushed into higher tax brackets, thereby reducing the net benefit of the pension rise. This situation underscores the complex interplay between pension policies and tax regulations.

In summary, while the increase in State Pensions is a welcome development for many Welsh pensioners, it has sparked a broader debate about the effectiveness and sustainability of the triple lock policy, as well as its interaction with the broader tax system.

Continue Reading

News19 hours ago

Welsh pensioners to receive state pension increase amidst mixed reactions

STARTING this month, over 600,000 pensioners across Wales will see their State Pensions rise by up to £470 annually, following...

News21 hours ago

Spot checks uncover taxi issues in Milford Haven and Neyland

Six suspensions, untaxed vehicle and missing badges found SPOT checks on taxis and private hire vehicles in Milford Haven, Neyland...

News2 days ago

Fire chief praises crews for response to grass fires

Over 250 incidents tackled during dry spell THE CHIEF Fire Officer of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service...

News2 days ago

Man paralysed after being shot during weapons test at Pendine MoD range

Defence firm fined £800,000 over ‘devastating’ safety failure A CIVILIAN weapons expert was left paralysed from the neck down after...

Crime2 days ago

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross...

Charity3 days ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business4 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime4 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News4 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business4 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

Popular This Week