Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Man sentenced for attempted rape of mother and child

Published

on

Williams has been sentenced to 16 years

A MAN who attempted to rape a woman and her four-year-old daughter whilst they were on a family walk has been sentenced to 16 years in prison.

Anthony Williams, 43, of Hill Street, Haverfordwest attacked the woman during an incident on a cycle path in May.

Swansea Crown Court heard the attack happened during the day. Williams admitted attempted rape of a woman over 18 and of a girl under 13.

An extension of eight years on his licence was also imposed. 

Robin Rouch, prosecuting, said the woman, a mother-of-two, was told to undress otherwise the children would be harmed.

After attempting to rape the mother, he made her remove clothing from the four-year-old, and tried to rape her.

Williams also threatened to throw another child in the river.

The court heard that Williams had a drink problem, spending excessive amounts of money on alcohol.

Judge Geraint Walters said that the case was truly disturbing and Williams had submitted the woman and her child to a life-changing ordeal.

After the hearing, Michael Jenkins of the Crown Prosecution service, described the incident as a “truly despicable crime”.

He added: “No one should have to face what the victims were put through. The mother showed great courage in doing all that she could to minimise the harm to her children.”

Dyfed-Powys Police received a call at just before 4.50pm on May 17 from a man who had come across a highly distressed woman on the cycle path between Haverfordwest and Tiers Cross.

Officers swiftly attended, and the woman reported that a stranger had attempted to rape her and her young daughter – making threats if they did not comply – before leaving the area.

A team of detectives immediately searched the area to secure any evidence linked to the offence or a potential suspect, and later arrested a man matching the description given to officers.

Enquiries established DNA links between the adult victim and Williams.

Detective Chief Inspector Cameron Ritchie said: “Dyfed-Powys Police welcomes this sentence. It is the result of an extensive police operation that gave Williams little option but to plead guilty.

“This was a horrific attack, during which the defendant tried multiple times to rape a mother and her very young child. For the mother in particular, it was a terrifying experience – not only going through the trauma of being assaulted herself, but to see her daughter being treated in this despicable way.

“I would like to thank the victims and their family for the bravery and dignity they have shown during our investigation.  I would also like to thank the members of the public who assisted the victims at the time and who assisted the police investigation.  Their assistance was invaluable.

“I now hope this sentence gives the victims the justice they deserve, and hopefully some closure to move on with their lives.

“Dyfed-Powys Police will not tolerate violence against women and girls and hopefully the outcome in this case will give confidence to victims to come forward.  We will take you seriously and support you as we work to bring offenders to justice.”

Crime

Pembrokeshire fisherman strangled partner’s mother in front of child

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE fisherman, Jake Bowman-Davies, 26, of Lighthouse Drive, Llanstadwell, has been handed a suspended prison sentence after strangling his partner’s mother in a terrifying incident witnessed by a young child, Swansea Crown Court heard on Wednesday (Jul 24).

The court was told that the incident occurred on December 17 last year. The victim had been asleep when she received a frantic phone call from her daughter around 1am. She could hear her daughter shouting and screaming, with Bowman-Davies audibly in the background. Concerned, she went to the nearby property to intervene, only to find the front door ajar and Bowman-Davies in a heated argument with her daughter inside.

Prosecution barrister Georgia Donohue described Bowman-Davies’s behaviour as “erratic and loud.” When the victim asked him to leave, he screamed in her face before grabbing her throat and restricting her ability to breathe. Miss Donohue added that the victim “felt genuine fear that he was not going to let go.”

Bowman-Davies’s partner and a young child were present during the assault. After releasing his grip, Bowman-Davies was ushered out of the house but retaliated by spraying alcohol over the victim and remained outside for another 10 minutes before police arrived and arrested him.

In a statement read in court, the victim expressed fear for her daughter and family following the incident.

Defence barrister David Singh argued that Bowman-Davies, who works at sea and tends to “binge-drink” when off work, is “a young man who clearly needs intervention.”

Judge Huw Rees addressed Bowman-Davies, emphasizing the lasting impact of such violence on children. “No child should see violence between adults of this kind. It’s seared into their subconscious and that could damage them irreparably,” he said. The judge warned Bowman-Davies of severe consequences for any future breaches of court orders.

Bowman-Davies, who pleaded guilty to intentional strangulation, received a 16-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months. He is required to complete a 25-day rehabilitation activity and 120 hours of unpaid work. Additionally, he was issued a restraining order, prohibiting contact with his victim for three years.

Continue Reading

News

Eluned Morgan appointed new Leader of Welsh Labour

Published

on

ELUNED MORGAN MS has been appointed the new leader of Welsh Labour.

Morgan has served as Welsh Labour MS for Mid and West Wales since 2016 and has delivered for the people of Wales as both a Welsh Government Minister and Cabinet Secretary since 2017.

She will now go forward as Welsh Labour’s nominee to become the first female First Minister of Wales, and Labour’s first female head of state in the UK.

Born in Cardiff, Morgan was a founding member of the Yes for Wales cross-party group which campaigned for the then Welsh Assembly to be established.

Eluned Morgan MS, Leader of Welsh Labour, said: “I am truly honoured to become the first woman to lead Welsh Labour and to be put forward as our party’s nominee to become the next First Minister of Wales.

“At this pivotal time for our country, strength, stability, and unity will be my guiding principles. I want to ensure that everyone in Wales has the opportunity and ability to fulfil their potential.

“Huw Irranca-Davies and I stood proudly as a partnership, and we are delighted to have received the overwhelming support of Welsh Labour MS’ and support from across Wales and the wider Labour movement.

“When we pledged unity, we meant it – and that is how we will lead. Working with colleagues across the Senedd and standing shoulder to shoulder with Keir Starmer’s UK Labour Government, my focus will be on improving the things that matter most for everyone in our great country.

“Through my leadership, Wales – and what is best for our country – will always come above all else.”

Keir Starmer MP, Prime Minister and Leader of the UK Labour Party, commenting on the election of Eluned Morgan as Welsh Labour Leader, said:

“Eluned’s election as Welsh Labour Leader and candidacy for First Minister is fantastic news for Wales and for the Labour Party. Eluned brings with her a wealth of experience and track-record of delivery, and as the first woman to lead Welsh Labour, she is already making history.

“Just three weeks ago, people across Wales voted overwhelmingly for a changed Labour Party to lead a government in Westminster. We have a been given a strong mandate to deliver change for working people, and I look forward to working hand-in-hand with Eluned to deliver on our promises to Wales and Britain.”

Jo Stevens MP, Labour’s Secretary of State for Wales, said: “Eluned will be a fantastic leader of Welsh Labour and candidate for First Minister, bringing her many years of experience on the front line of politics to the important task of delivering for people across Wales.

“I am particularly pleased that Eluned has been overwhelmingly backed by the Senedd Labour Group.

“I look forward to working closely with Eluned at pace, to implement the UK government’s plans to address the priorities of people across Wales, which received resounding support at the General Election.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Stalking victim in plea for indefinite restraining order

Published

on

A STALKING victim has made an impassioned plea before a judge sitting at Haverfordwest magistrates court to impose an indefinite restraining order on the man who has already served a custodial sentence for stalking her.

Despite serving 21 weeks in custody following his conviction for stalking in 2023, Christopher Marsh, 48, continued to breach the court-imposed restraining order which prevented him from contacting the victim.

This week he pleaded guilty to a charge of breaching the restraining order by once again contacting the victim on social media on November 27, 2023 and sending her a friend request.

In a victim impact statement that was read out to District Judge Mark Layton sitting at Haverfordwest magistrates, the woman said that since his release from prison, she has grown increasingly fearful for her safety.

“I find myself going out less, and that night, when I was sitting at home, he sent me a friend request which made me panic that I was still in his thoughts.

“I just want him to leave me alone and get on with his life.”

The victim requested an indefinite restraining order which prevents Marsh, of Grove Court, St Florence, from having any form of contact with her for the rest of his life.

After considering the facts, Judge Layton granted her request. Marsh was also prevented from entering Shrinkle Haven, South Beach in Tenby and Penally Beach between certain times of day. He has also been prevented from approaching the victim’s home address in Tenby and from contacting her via any form of communication device. He was sentenced to 26 weeks in custody suspended for 12 months and was ordered to pay a £154 court surcharge and £85 costs.

“You really have to make every effort to ensure that you don’t come before this court again,” said Judge Mark Layton when imposing sentence.

“Otherwise you’ll end up serving 26 weeks in prison.”

Continue Reading

News11 hours ago

Eluned Morgan appointed new Leader of Welsh Labour

ELUNED MORGAN MS has been appointed the new leader of Welsh Labour. Morgan has served as Welsh Labour MS for...

Crime11 hours ago

Stalking victim in plea for indefinite restraining order

A STALKING victim has made an impassioned plea before a judge sitting at Haverfordwest magistrates court to impose an indefinite...

News1 day ago

Systemic failings within the fire service led to firefighter’s death

THE TRAGIC death of a firefighter during a training exercise almost five years ago has been officially ruled as an...

Crime2 days ago

Town centre ‘stinking of skunk’ as police strip cannabis farm

POLICE in Milford Haven have been investigating an illegal cannabis grow in a disused bar on Charles Street. From the...

News2 days ago

Eluned Morgan announces bid to become Wales’ first female First Minister

ELUNED MORGAN has officially declared her candidacy to succeed Vaughan Gething as Wales’ First Minister. The current health secretary is...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Creamery launches Blas y Tir Welsh milk brand

AS the only BRCGS-accredited liquid milk facility in Wales, it is exclusively producing 100% authentic Welsh milk for retailers in...

Business3 days ago

RWE and Dragon join forces for Milford Haven CO2 Project

RWE, the largest power generator in Wales, and Dragon, an industry leader in LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas), are proud to...

News3 days ago

Health Secretary Eluned Morgan eyes Welsh Labour leadership

ELUNED MORGAN has announced she is “giving serious consideration” to standing for the leadership of Welsh Labour and, by extension,...

News4 days ago

Proposal to give firefighters a council tax discount to go to Cabinet

PEMBROKESHIRE on-call firefighters could enjoy a reduction in council tax “in recognition of the vital work performed” by them if...

News4 days ago

Second home numbers in Pembrokeshire drop after council tax hike

THE NUMBER of second homes and self-catering holiday properties in Pembrokeshire has declined year-on-year, while those seeking council tax exceptions...

Popular This Week