News
Thousands line streets to welcome King Charles and Queen Consort to Wales

KING CHARLES and the Queen Consort have visited Cardiff for their first official visit to Wales since the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
The Royal couple arrived by helicopter on Friday morning and were greeted by a 21-gun salute, before attending a service of prayer and reflection at Llandaff Cathedral.

The couple then visited the Senedd where they received a Motion of Condolence before meeting with Senedd Members and members of the Welsh Youth Parliament.
The King and Queen Consort then arrived at Cardiff Castle, for their final engagement.
At the castle, King Charles held a private audience with the First Minister Mark Drakeford and the presiding officer, before attending a reception hosted by the Welsh Government.

After the engagement, King Charles and the Queen Consort greeted members of the crowd in the castle grounds before departing back to London where the King will hold a vigil at the Queen’s coffin with his brothers and sister.
A KING FLYS IN
King Charles arrived in Cardiff via helicopter from his Gloucestershire home of Highgrove following a day of rest after a week of duties since the death of the Queen.
He and the Queen Consort were greeted by a gun salute at Cardiff Castle as they set foot on to Welsh soil.
Hundreds of people are gathered in Llandaff near to the Cathedral, where King Charles III and the Queen Consort will soon arrive for a service of remembrance.

LANDAF CATHEDRAL
A fanfare of trumpeters from the Regimental Band of the Royal Welsh greeted the King at the cathedral’s west door before Mr Drakeford gave a reading from the Old Testament.
King Charles III and the Queen Consort sang a number of hymns during the service, including traditional Welsh song Cwm Rhondda.
Archbishop of Wales, the Most Rev Andrew John, delivered an address to the congregation – which included Prime Minister Liz Truss in her first visit to Wales as the new Prime Minister – in both English and Welsh.
Paying tribute to her “extraordinary legacy of service and devotion”, the archbishop said the Queen had transformed the monarchy and provided a reassuring constancy through the decades.
Britain’s Prime Minister Liz Truss is greeted by Dean of Llandaff Cathedral Michael Komor upon her arrival for a Service of Prayer and Reflection for the life of Queen Elizabeth II
The archbishop said the late Queen’s skilful use of “soft power” came to the fore during her visits to Aberfan after the disaster there in 1966 when the community found her presence “deeply consoling”.
The hour-long service included hymns Pantyfedwen (Tydi A Wnaeth Y Wyrth), God is Love Let Heaven Adore Him and Cwm Rhondda and their visit to Llandaff ended with King Charles and the Queen Consort meeting schoolchildren in the crowd as they left the cathedral.
SPEECH IN THE SENEDD
King Charles III said Wales held a “special place” in the Queen’s heart as he gave a speech in the Senedd.
He addressed members of the Welsh Parliament in a remembrance event at the Senedd as part of the King and Queen Consort’s tour of the UK nations.
In a bilingual speech, King Charles gave the Senedd his “heartfelt thanks for your kind words”.
He added that it had been a “privilege to be Prince of Wales for so long”.

The King said Prince William, who was appointed Prince of Wales last week, had a “deep love” for the nation.
He said the “ancient title” dated to the time “of those great Welsh rulers like Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, whose memory is still rightly honoured”.
Thanking Members of the Senedd for their condolences following the death of the Queen at the age of 96 last week, the King said that “through all the years of her reign the land of Wales could not have been closer to my mother’s heart”.
King Charles said in Welsh: “Roedd lle arbenig i Gymru yn ei chalon,” which translates into English as “Wales had a special place in her heart”.
“Fel fy mam annwyl o’m blaen, rwy’n gwybod ein bod ni oll yn caru’r wlad arbennig hon,” which means “like my beloved mother before me, I know we all share a love for this special land”.
Welsh speakers said he spoke in clear Welsh, which he learned in Aberystwyth in the 1960’s
SOME BOOED THE KING
The reaction of the crowds that lined the streets of the Welsh capital was largely warm, but he was booed as he entered Cardiff Castle by anti-monarchy protesters and there were small demonstrations at Llandaff Cathedral and the Senedd building.
Charles is not universally popular in Wales and his announcement that William is to be made Prince of Wales has been greeted with anger by many. Some see it as a symbol of English oppression over Wales.
Laura McAllister, professor of public policy and the governance of Wales at Cardiff University, said: “Having the Queen’s support helped add gravitas, status, legitimacy and profile to an institution that was crying out for it at the start. I think Charles will approach his engagement with devolution in the same way.”
Auriol Miller, the director of the Institute of Welsh Affairs, said: “It is heartening to hear the King make clear his intention to serve the whole of the union.”
There was a small protest outside the Senedd but a larger one at the gates of Cardiff Castle, where Charles had a private audience with Drakeford.
Banners featured the slogans: “Abolish the Monarchy”, “Citizen not subject” and “Democracy now”. Glyndŵr flags were flown and one man held up a placard saying: “End Prince of Wales title.”
Organisers had said the protest would be a silent one but there were boos as the King entered the castle. One protester, Ryan, from Newport, south Wales, said: “The monarchy is a feudalistic anachronism. Passing power on others by virtue of inheritance does not strike me as compatible with the principle of democracy. We should rethink.”
Entertainment
Join TV and radio presenter Hester Grainger live at the Torch

THIS June, the Torch Theatre welcomes ADHD coach, speaker and former Wright Stuff presenter Hester Grainger to the stage with her powerful and uplifting show, ADHD: Unmasked.
Expect an evening of open conversation, laughter, and refreshingly honest insights into life with ADHD. In a supportive and inclusive space, Hester invites everyone—whether living with ADHD, supporting someone who is, or simply curious—to share stories, connect, and feel seen.
A well-known voice in the neurodivergent community, Hester is a regular podcast guest and media contributor. Her appearance on ADHD Chatter with Alex Partridge went viral, with clips from the episode racking up over 22 million views.
ADHD: Unmasked is an interactive, dopamine-filled evening where Hester shares how to embrace a fast-paced mind, practise self-compassion, and tap into the strengths of neurodiversity. She’ll also speak candidly about family life—raising two autistic/ADHD teenagers and living with her autistic/ADHD husband—as well as navigating ADHD in the workplace, friendships, relationships, and late diagnosis.
Audience participation is welcome, with opportunities to ask questions throughout. Whether you’ve received a diagnosis or are just starting your journey, this event offers connection, laughter, and a sense of belonging. You’ll leave feeling empowered, informed—and most importantly—reminded that you are not alone.
Hester began her media career on Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff, going on to work with Loose Women and Today with Des and Mel. She has featured on BBC Radio 2, Radio 4, Radio 5 Live, and hosted her own show on BBC Radio Berkshire.
She has appeared on leading podcasts such as ADHD Chatter, The Hidden 20%, and ADHD Women’s Wellbeing Podcast, and her writing has been published by HuffPost, Evening Standard, Reader’s Digest, and Arabian Business.
Alongside her husband Kelly, Hester co-founded Perfectly Autistic, a neurodiversity consultancy providing training, talks, and coaching to support neurodivergent employees. Both were diagnosed with ADHD in their forties, after Kelly’s earlier autism diagnosis.
Hester says: “I’m so excited to tour the UK talking about ADHD—something I’m truly passionate about. Being diagnosed in my forties finally gave me the answers I’d been searching for my whole life. With growing awareness, so many people have questions and want to understand more. This evening will be fun, entertaining, and honest—and nothing’s off limits.”
ADHD: Unmasked comes to the Torch Theatre on Friday 6 June at 7:30pm.
Tickets: £26
Book online at www.torchtheatre.co.uk or call the Box Office on (01646) 695267.

News
Pembroke Dock boy walks out with Spurs captain at Stamford Bridge

AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD boy from Pembroke Dock had the experience of a lifetime on Thursday night (Apr 4), when he was selected as the official mascot for Tottenham Hotspur in their Premier League clash against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Joey Williams, a pupil at Pembroke Dock Community School, walked out onto the pitch hand-in-hand with Spurs’ team captain, Son Heung-min, in front of a packed stadium and millions of viewers watching around the world.

The once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was part of Tottenham Hotspur’s official mascot programme. Joey, who recently turned eight, travelled to London with his family to take part in the unforgettable event.
His proud mum, KatieJane Solomon, told The Herald: “My son lives in Pembroke Dock and was chosen to be mascot for the Chelsea vs Tottenham game tonight. He walked out with Son Heung-min!”
“He’s a very big Spurs fan so we signed him up to be a member on there website about a year ago and he was very lucky selected at random last month.”
The Premier League clash ended in high drama, but for Joey, the biggest highlight was walking out alongside his football heroes.


News
Trump’s tariffs threaten Welsh exports as luxury carmakers face uncertain future

Aston Martin and TVR among firms at risk from new US automotive import tax
WELSH exporters have been dealt a major blow after former US President Donald Trump announced sweeping new tariffs on UK goods, including a 25% tariff on all automotive imports into the United States, sparking concern across Wales’ high-value manufacturing sector.
The announcement, made on April 2, also includes a 10% baseline tariff on all UK imports into the US, taking effect from April 5. These new charges come on top of previously announced 25% tariffs on steel, aluminium and automotive parts, with only a limited number of product exemptions such as pharmaceuticals and semiconductors.
The United States is Wales’ second largest export market, accounting for 13.5% of total goods exports. In 2024, Welsh goods trade with the US was valued at £6.4bn, with £2.2bn in exports and £4.2bn in imports. Of the 3,188 Welsh firms that exported goods globally in 2024, over a third (33.4%) exported to the US.
While Welsh exports span sectors from steel to technology, some of the hardest-hit businesses could be those involved in high-end automotive manufacturing—a sector that Wales has been nurturing in recent years.
Luxury carmakers in the firing line
Aston Martin’s factory in St Athan, Vale of Glamorgan, opened in 2020 to manufacture the DBX luxury SUV, has been a flagship project for Welsh industry. With many of these vehicles aimed at wealthy international buyers, particularly in the US, a 25% tariff could significantly hinder their competitiveness abroad.
Similarly, TVR’s long-awaited revival, with plans to produce its new Griffith sports car in Ebbw Vale, is expected to rely heavily on overseas sales, including to American car enthusiasts. Any additional import taxes on these cars could make them prohibitively expensive in the US market—potentially delaying investment and job creation in the Welsh factory.
Both brands represent the premium end of British automotive design and were supported by the Welsh Government as part of a strategy to attract advanced manufacturing jobs.
Welsh Government: “Far-reaching impacts”
Reacting to the announcement, Rebecca Evans MS, Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Energy and Planning, expressed “deep concern” about the likely effects of the tariffs.
“Whilst it is a small relief to see that the tariffs applied to UK imports are lower than those imposed on the EU, a 10% tariff represents a significant rise for most products,” she said.
“These changes will affect almost all of our businesses that export to the US.”
Evans said the Welsh Government remains in close contact with Westminster and is working with business and industry leaders to assess the fallout. Support will be available through existing business support programmes, and regular updates will be provided as the full impact becomes clearer.
Could there be an upside for UK consumers?
Amid the gloom, some experts suggest UK consumers might see short-term benefits, especially in the used car market.
Aidan Rushby, CEO of car finance company Carmoola, said the tariffs could create a glut of nearly-new and unsold stock that ends up staying in the UK.
“If British manufacturers struggle to sell into the US, we could see more cars redirected to the domestic market, which may mean better deals for UK consumers,” he said.
“An economic wobble caused by global trade tensions could also push used car prices lower as demand softens. That’s good news for buyers, but for current car owners, it could mean faster depreciation.”
Rushby added that it’s more important than ever for buyers to stay informed and work with responsible lenders.
Renewable energy sector raises alarm
It’s not just manufacturing that could suffer. Jane Cooper, Deputy Chief Executive of RenewableUK, warned that the broader fallout from tariffs and trade disputes could stifle green innovation and investment.
“These tariffs, combined with the US Government’s recent moves to halt offshore wind development, will mean UK and American companies will miss out on opportunities to trade, invest and collaborate in clean technology,” she said.
While trade in renewable goods between the UK and US is limited, Cooper said many UK-based manufacturers operate across Europe, and the disruption to supply chains could be significant.
Business leaders urged to prepare
The Institute of Directors (IoD) North Wales hosted a key event last week in Bangor, where industry experts briefed Welsh businesses on how best to navigate the evolving trade landscape.
David Roberts, Chair of North Wales IoD, said: “From global trade concerns such as Trump’s tariffs, to local investment opportunities in Flintshire and Wrexham, it’s vital that Welsh firms stay informed and resilient.”
Despite reassurances, there are no current plans for the UK to retaliate. The UK Government is seeking a negotiated solution with the US and has opened a consultation to assess the impact on British businesses.
For now, Welsh exporters—and especially those in automotive and high-tech sectors—face a turbulent road ahead.
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn