Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Strikes: Pembrokeshire schools and classes to close this week

Published

on

SEVEN Pembrokeshire schools will close and 16 will be partially closed during Wednesday’s strikes by teachers.

A series of strikes by National Education Union (NEU) members are to go ahead after talks failed to achieve a breakthrough in a dispute over pay.

Discussions between Education Minister Jeremy Miles and unions failed to resolve the dispute.

They were offered a one-off payment but union officials said the proposals did not meet pay demands.

The National Association of Headteachers (NAHT) is taking industrial action short of a strike, including only doing some tasks in core hours and not covering striking staff.

Pembrokeshire schools facing partial closure include Haverfordwest High VC School, Ysgol Harri Tudur, and Tenby’s Ysgol Greenhill.

Failure: Discussions between Education Minister Jeremy Miles and unions failed to resolve the dispute.

In a letter to parents, Haverfordwest High VC School headteacher Jane Harries said: “After undertaking a full risk assessment I am writing to inform you that next Wednesday, February 1, Haverfordwest High will only be open for pupils in Year 11 and Year 12.

“In addition, pupils in Year 13 who are scheduled to complete internal examinations on the morning of February 1 should attend their examination as scheduled.

“This is due to the number of staff potentially involved in the planned industrial action by members of the NEU teaching union.

“Pupils in these Year Groups (11 and 12) should attend school and follow their usual timetable. A reminder that those pupils in Year 11 who study triple GCSE Science will be sitting their Biology Part B write up under examination conditions at 11.30am. Pupils will need to bring work and revision materials to use in the event of any of their teachers not being in school.

“Sorry but it is not possible for us to notify you of what classes will be affected, but I can assure you that any classes affected will be supervised whilst pupils undertake private study.

“Unfortunately, the school will be closed to pupils in years 7-10. School buses will run as normal, and the catering team will provide meals onsite with a direct payment made to those entitled to free school meals pupils. I will continue to review these arrangements and inform you of any changes if they are necessary.”

Earlier this week, a Pembrokeshire County Council spokesperson said it was anticipated that as many as 30 of the county’s 60 schools could be closed.

“There are approximately 360 staff who are eligible to take part in the planned industrial action. This is around a third of our teaching workforce.

“We anticipate some closures in our secondary schools and a number of primaries. This is county-wide and we expect schools to be planning for those in the next couple of weeks.”

Closures on Wednesday, 1 February:

• Waldo Williams Primary School

• Coastlands

• Stepaside CP School

• Mary Immaculate RC School

• Portfield

• Gelliswick VC School

• Broad Haven

Partial closures

• Pembroke Dock Community School

• Ysgol Gelli Aur

• St Francis RC School

• Ysgol Ger y Llan

• Haverfordwest High VC School

• Pennar Community School

• St Oswalds VA School

• St Mark’s VA School

• Ysgol Glannau Gwaun

• Ysgol Harri Tudur

• Prendergast

• Fenton

• Milford Haven Community School

• Ysgol Greenhill

• Goodwick

• Hook

Wednesday, 1 February is the first of four planned strike days over pay by teachers and support staff – the others are 14 February, 15 March and 16 March.

The unions, councils and Welsh government say they want to keep talking to try to resolve the dispute.

David Evans, Wales Secretary of the NEU union, confirmed unions had been offered a “one off non-consolidated payment”.

But said it “doesn’t go anywhere near meeting ours and the other unions’ demands”.

Jeremy Miles, Minister for Education and Minister for the Welsh Language in the Welsh Government, said: “I want to assure the education workforce that I am listening to your concerns and remain committed to working with unions and local authorities to seek a resolution.

“As a government we believe that disputes should be resolved by negotiation.

“During the meeting we discussed a one-off cash payment over and above the 2022-23 pay award and a series of non-pay issues, including a commitment to address workload issues.”

  • Bruce Sinclair is the Local Democracy Reporter for Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion

Community

Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

Published

on

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.

The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.

To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.

Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”

The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity8 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business19 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week