Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Handling of Manorbier School fire aftermath an ‘absolute disgrace’

Published

on

SENIOR members of Pembrokeshire County Council should apologise to staff at Manorbier School for not visiting following last year’s fire, a committee has heard.

Manorbier Church in Wales VC School and its adjoining school house was severely damaged by a fire on October 11, which broke out in the school roof space.

Pupils and staff were successfully evacuated with no injuries.

At Monday’s (Feb 6) Schools Learning and Scrutiny Committee, Cabinet Member for Education Guy Woodham said repairs and the insurance position – partly the responsibility of the council and partly the Diocese of St Davids – were being progressed as “a matter of urgency”.

County councillor for the ward Cllr Phil Kidney raised concerns about a lack of any senior members of the council visiting the school and the plight of the neighbours, who he felt had not been properly supported.

“The couple were 12 months away from retirement; they went to work that morning and due to a fire in a council-run building they lost everything,” he said.

“It’s too important to be embarrassed, it reflects very, very badly on the council. I don’t think they’ve been treated fairly; I hope the diocese can come to the rescue here and help them out.”

Cllr Kidney continued: “Make no bones about it, this could’ve been headline news on the six o’clock news, it really could’ve been.

“The response from the council – if I’m brutally honest – has been very poor; that’s the first time I’ve heard anything from the Cabinet member for education today, we’ve not seen him, the children have not seen him, the chief executive has not been down.

“We’ve had a lot of correspondence from Senedd member Sam Kurtz and MP Simon Hart has been on the phone but to date we haven’t had anyone from the council, nobody thought to come to Manorbier.

“The headmistress and staff down there feel totally undervalued, totally unsupported.”

He added: “If this was a school in Haverfordwest or Tenby there would’ve been suits everywhere, you wouldn’t be able to move.”

Cllr Rhys Jordan said to Cllr Kidney: “I think it’s an absolute disgrace that the cabinet member has only got hold of you knowing this is coming to this committee,” adding on record: “Either himself or the leader [Cllr David Simpson] should write a letter of apology.”

John Cecil, of the diocese, had earlier said the insurance claim was being dealt with by the proper department, adding: “I can assure you it is being dealt with appropriately.”

The local authority’s Chair of Scrutiny for Schools and Learning, Cllr Huw Murphy called to see the School for himself in early January and as a result had the matter added to the agenda for the Scrutiny meeting.

“As chair of PCC Schools and Learning Scrutiny the children, parents and staff at Manorbier School have my utmost sympathy and it’s disappointing that the Cabinet Leader on Education has not yet visited the scene to see for himself the severity of the devastation,” he said following the meeting.

“I implore that both PCC and the Church of Wales instigate repairs as soon as possible,” added Cllr Murphy.

Education

Primary schools enjoy a taste of opera at three special performances

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE MUSIC SERVICE brought the ABC of Opera to Haverfordwest for school children to enjoy a special live performance recently.

ABC of Opera, founded by renowned opera singer Mark Llewelyn Evans, performed The Crazy Classicals and the Curse at three shows on 9th and 10th July.

Almost 1,000 primary school pupils delighted in the fusion of pantomime and opera where the evil Queen of the Night, escaping from Mozart’s Opera the Magic Flute, tries to banish music for ever. Featuring a host of classical composers and Trevor the Trunk, they work together with the children to stop her.

The cast comprised of seven professional opera singers, with the orchestra being made up of staff from Pembrokeshire Music Service, senior pupils from County music ensembles and invited guests.

Head of Pembrokeshire Music Service Philippa Roberts: “Pembrokeshire Music Service is delighted to partner with ABC Opera to bring an exceptional live music experience to our students, giving pupils a fantastic introduction to Opera in a fun and engaging environment.

“This initiative, made possible thanks to the generous support of the National Music Service Wales, saw our staff and pupils performing side by side in the orchestra along with professional vocalists.”

ABC of Opera aims to deliver invaluable life lessons to children and young people through a lively exploration of the lives and music of the great composers, building character, celebrating difference and encouraging creativity. “Any Body Can with ABC.”

Continue Reading

Education

Ysgol Harri Tudur bans mobile phones starting September 2024

Published

on

STARTING September 2024, pupils at Ysgol Harri Tudur in Pembroke will no longer be allowed to bring mobile phones to school. This decision follows a consultation with parents, guardians, and carers that concluded on July 1.

The consultation process began on June 26, when the school sent out a letter to parents and carers, inviting their opinions on the matter. The letter highlighted growing concerns about the negative impact of mobile phones on students’ education, safeguarding, mental health, and well-being. It noted, “There is increasing evidence of the negative impact that mobile phones have at school on learners’ education, safeguarding, mental health, and well-being. Covid has certainly made the situation worse, with the reduction in face-to-face relationships.”

Previously, the school operated an ‘out of sight, out of mind’ policy, requiring students to turn off their phones and leave them in their bags. However, enforcing this policy proved to be challenging. The letter explained, “Alerts from social media platforms, emails, texts, and calls during the school day create an environment which is very difficult for learners to resist checking and responding to. Mobile phones allow learners to play music, games, and take photographs and video clips. The latter places learners at risk of cyber bullying.”

The issue sparked a lively debate on a local Facebook group. Some contributors raised concerns about students with medical conditions who need their phones for glucose monitoring, medicine reminders, or well-being journals. One user pointed out, “It’s difficult for people with a medical condition, who need to have their phone with them.”

On the other hand, many welcomed the ban, hoping it would reduce dependency on devices, decrease cyber-bullying, lessen peer pressure to own the latest models, and encourage students to engage more with each other. One parent commented, “Plenty of other schools already implement this policy – and it works.”

Another parent emphasised the importance of allowing pupils who are being bullied in other ways to contact home.

Ysgol Bro Gwaun in Fishguard has already implemented similar policies with reported success. Haverfordwest High is also considering a mobile-free approach.

Additionally, Ysgol Penrhyn Dewi in St David’s, Pembrokeshire, has seen significant improvements since implementing a similar policy. Pupils now hand in their phones at the start of the school day, which has led to better attendance, behaviour, and learning. The school’s police liaison officer reported a 75% reduction in phone-related issues, and both exclusions and bullying incidents have decreased dramatically.

For emergencies, the Pembroke school advises parents to contact Reception or email [email protected]. If learners need to contact home urgently, they are encouraged to speak to their Pastoral Leader or any senior member of staff.

Continue Reading

Education

New funding for outdoor learning in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE OUTDOOR SCHOOLS (PODS) initiative has recently benefited from funding and support from local businesses, community councils and charitable trusts to enable it to continue work in supporting schools and learners in the county.

PODS is co-ordinated by Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority, supporting a network of specialist organisations, teachers and local authority advisors with the aim of enabling learners to benefit from high quality outdoor learning experiences, encouraging children to become fully engaged with and confident in their local environment.

With the support of one of the PODS partners, the Pembrokeshire Coast Charitable Trust, a recent appeal for additional funds resulted in contributions from a variety of sources including the Enhancing Pembrokeshire Fund, which was able to support the Outdoor Schools initiative with £15,000 in grant aid.

Director of the Trust Katie Macro said: “We are thrilled to support the Pembrokeshire Outdoor Schools project, a vital initiative that helps pupils across Pembrokeshire understand the importance of our natural habitat. This work would not be possible without the generous support of many wonderful funders, whose input has made a real difference to this cause.”

Several community councils also showed their support for the work of the PODS partnership with donations, including Haverfordwest Town Council, Scleddau Community Council, and Newport Town Council. Support was also received from Llywyndu Solar Farm via the NextEnergy Solar Fund.

Bryony Rees, Pembrokeshire Outdoor Schools Co-ordinator said “There’s an increasing recognition of the value of outdoor learning for our children, both in terms of specific topics and themes, and also the benefits to overall health and wellbeing. PODS seeks to make the best of Pembrokeshire’s amazing outdoor spaces, not only in the National Park, but also in and around the communities where our schools are located. This additional funding is most welcome in that respect.”

As a result of the Outdoor Schools partnership, schools and teaching staff across Pembrokeshire have been able to provide valuable learning experiences for pupils, often supported by outdoor learning specialists.

Across Pembrokeshire, schools and teaching staff have been able to provide valuable learning experiences for pupils, often supported by the outdoor learning specialists that make-up the Outdoor Schools partnership, or by making use of the resources and training provided.

Pembrokeshire Outdoor Schools is dependent on external funding to continue its work with schools and learners. Earlier in the year, a donation from Blue Gem Wind enabled the PODS Co-ordinator to offer targeted support to secondary schools in the area. This included a coastal challenge day at Newgale with Year 8 pupils from Henry Tudor School, supported by the National Park Authority’s education team and Pembrokeshire Coastal Forum.

For more information on Pembrokeshire Outdoor Schools, contact Bryony at [email protected], call 07870 488014, or visit the Pembrokeshire Outdoor Schools website: http://pembrokeshireoutdoorschools.co.uk/.

If you would like to donate to the PODS project, please get in touch via [email protected].

Continue Reading

Health15 hours ago

No improvement in cancer waiting times despite Welsh Govt plan

TWO years after the Welsh Government unveiled its ambitious plan to overhaul cancer care and reduce waiting times, the latest...

News1 day ago

Former school devastated by fire revealed as £2m drug factory just weeks ago

A SIGNFICANT blaze that led to the collapse of the roof of a former primary school in west Wales occurred...

Crime1 day ago

Thai woman accused of killing son in appears in court

A THAI woman accused of killing her seven-year-old son has made a court appearance. Papaipit Linse, 43, of Upper Market...

Crime1 day ago

Police investigate early hours hit and run in Haverfordwest

POLICE in Haverfordwest are investigating a road traffic collision which occurred at about 2.00am in the morning on Wednesday (Jul...

Charity2 days ago

King’s speech highlights focus on economic growth and defence

ON WEDNESDAY (Jul 17), the King delivered his Speech, outlining the government’s priorities for the coming year. Central to the...

Crime2 days ago

Haverfordwest man denies sexual assaults on boys under nine

A 41-YEAR-OLD Haverfordwest man has appeared before magistrates charged with sexually assaulting a boy under 13 on at least 44...

News3 days ago

First Minister quits after less than four months in job

FIRST MINISTER Vaughan Gething has announced his resignation. Gething did not offer any apologies for the events of the past...

News3 days ago

LIVE – Welsh Government ministers quit and call for First Minister to go

FOUR senior ministers of the Welsh Government have dramatically tendered their resignations in a bold protest against the leadership of...

Crime3 days ago

Ex-mayor gets suspended sentence for child images offences

A FORMER mayor of Pembroke Dock has been given a suspended jail sentence for the possession and distribution of indecent...

Community5 days ago

Sumatran tiger cub named Zaza is first ever born in a Welsh zoo

MANOR WILDLIFE PARK said this week that it is thrilled to announce the birth of a Sumatran tiger cub, named...

Popular This Week