News
Verdict of accidental death returned at inquest into death of Zac Thompson

THE CORONER has returned a verdict of accidental dealth, following the inquest the tragic passing of an 11-year-old boy at West Angle Bay in July last year.
At County Hall, Haverfordwest, the Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire Coroner, Mark Layton, explained the circumstances of the tragedy.
Zac Thompson, who was a pupil at Pembroke Dock Community School, died in hospital on July 2.
The youngster had been playing with his elder brother and their 11-year-old cousin on Friday evening, July 1, but he tragically got into difficulties in the water.
Emergency responders were called to the beach and tried to resuscitate Zac. However Zac failed to regain consciousness.
The year six pupil was a “popular and much-loved character” with a “huge zest for life”, his school said.
In a statement released on their Facebook page on Saturday, they said: “It is with great sadness that we inform you of the death of Zac Thompson, who was a popular and much-loved character in Year 6 at Pembroke Dock Community School.
He excelled academically, in particular in maths, who loved to solve complex mental maths challenges (keeping staff on their toes).
The statement continued: “He was also a talented sportsman. Zac recently played exceptionally well in cricket, helping the school get through to the area finals, which are due to be played this week. He had a cheeky smile, was funny and was looking forward to his final weeks in primary school, the summer holidays and all the opportunities that were open to him as he moved on to secondary school. Zac had a huge zest for life! One sweet memory of him was when he was in Year 3, and it was Superhero Day. Zac came to school dressed as his favourite superhero – his Mum. Zac said: ‘Not all superheroes wear capes’.
“This is a dreadfully sad time for his family, and our love, thoughts and prayers are with both his family and his wide circle of friends, who will miss his big character and mischievous nature. There will be many staff on hand to support the learners on Monday and beyond this week.
“We are heartbroken, Zac was a lovely young man, a valued pupil and will be greatly missed.”
Zac’s mum Carli Newell’s statement was read out to the Coroners’ court. It reads as follows: “Without a doubt zac was a complete one of a kind. He was one of those special people that if your truly lucky you will get to experience them in your life.
“Zac was funny, cheeky, kind, caring, courageous and a big ball of fun with mischief running through his bones.
“His sparkly bright blue eyes, his big cheeky smile and his infectious spirit made everyone instantly fall in love with him.
“He had a zest for life like ive never known before.
“He lit up every room, if he walked into a place with 100 strangers, he would come out with 100 new friends, people just gravitated to him.
“Some people go their whole lives without touching as many hearts as Zac did.
“He loved his sports, family, friends and his food. He was a very naturally talented athlete.
“He found great pleasure in the most simple of things, everyday was an adventure for him.
“He was a fierce protector, with the courage of a lion, he hated injustice, he would step in and stand up for anyone who needed it, family, friends or even strangers, even if it got him into trouble.
“To know I will never see his face, hear his voice, watch him laugh or tell him how much I love him again is a nightmare I will never be able to wake from.
“Zac will forever live on in our hearts and the hearts of the entire community who have offered us their unwavering support.
“Through the Forever 11 charity that has been set up his honor by his Rugby family, he has left a legacy that will last a lifetime and go some way towards safeguarding our coastal areas.
“But also through the greatest gift of all. his selfless gift of hope and life to the 3 week old baby girl who was luckily enough to receive a piece of his beautiful heart. There is no greater gift than the gift of life and for that he will always be a hero.
“It was a privilege to watch him grow into such an incredible little boy,
“A privilege to know him and share his whole life with him,
“And a privilege to love him and be loved by him.
“I am honoured that I was blessed worthy enough to be his mum.”

Community
Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.
The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.
To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.
Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”
The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn