Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

All passengers and crew evacuated safely from Fishguard ferry following engine fire

Published

on

EIGHTY EIGHT passengers and fifty nine crew members were all evacuated safely, following a blaze on the Rosslare or Fishguard ferry on Saturday night (Feb 12)

The Stena Europe suffered an engine room fire, which broke out just after 2200 HRS off Strumble Head, leading to passengers being mustered with lifejackets, and being told they may have to abandon ship into lifeboats.

However, with the assistance of tug boats, the ferry 43-year-old ferry was able to make it into Fishguard Harbour, where twenty emergency vehicles had been dispatched to assist with the rescue.

Helicopters from HM Coastguard and the Wales Air Ambulance were sent to the scene.

RNLI lifeboats were launched from New Quay and St Davids to stand by.

Experienced sailor Stephen Kearney and his partner Julia were on board the 150m vessel and explained that the fire was serious, the ferry was filling with smoke, and that they were expecting to abandon ship.

Stephen told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “There was an announcement to the crew, advising it was not a drill and they should take up positions.

“Smoke began to circulate and I could see a lot of smoke from the funnel.

“Life jackets were issued and crew members assisted passengers with them.

“People were understandably nervous, but very calm and were looking out for each other.

“It was clearly a very serious situation and I was preparing to spend time in the lifeboats.

“Luckily the fire was extinguished by a very professional crew, and that was not necessary

“The Stena staff were obviously very well drilled – and took all appropriate action which included issuing water and supporting people who were frightened.

Stephen added: “The staff actually were fantastic and interestingly, honest about the situation.

“I’m a sailor, trained in sea survival so I knew how bad this could have got.

Stephen said that in his opinion the weather played a part in helping to get the situation under control. He said: “In fact, if we had been in very windy weather, or heavy seas, you would be reporting a very different and harrowing story.

“We were all preparing to abandon ship, as the ship was filling with smoke.

“Luckily the fire was extinguished

“It was really serious,” he said – adding: “Crew were brilliant

“Julia and I are both sailors so we identified ourselves to take responsibility as necessary

“This was no little incident,” he said.

On leaving the ferry passengers witnessed a sea of blue flashing lights from the assembly of emergency vehicles from the police, ambulance and fire brigade.

By just after 11pm, firefighters were spraying water down one of the funnels to dampen down the fire on board.

Ferry operator Stena Line issued a statement on Sunday.

Despite the huge emergency services response to the incident they downplayed the incident, saying it was a small fire and that the damage was relatively minor.

A spokesperson for the company said: “At approximately 22:00 last night the Stena Europe was on route to Fishguard from Rosslare, when the crew were alerted to a small fire on one of the ship’s engines.

“The Crew immediately initiated the ship’s safety protocols to ensure safety of passengers and crew before quickly extinguish the fire without further support or incident.

“A short delay incurred whilst the area was made secure before continuing on passage to Fishguard arriving 30 minutes behind schedule.

“There were 88 passengers and 59 crew onboard.

“There were no injuries and all those onboard were disembarked safely.

“Damage to the vessel is minimal. It is now being removed from service while we undertake a thorough investigation as to cause of the incident, which will be undertaken in partnership with the maritime regulatory authorities.

“We would like to thank the local Welsh ambulance, fire and lifeboat services who deployed significant numbers of their resources as a precaution.

“We are sorry for any distress and inconvenience this has caused to our passengers.

“We have reached an agreement with Irish Ferries that all those booked to sail with us will be transferred to their Pembroke sailing.

“Or can be transferred to an alternative Stena Line sailing at a different port.

“Further updates on the vessel and sailings will be issued in due course.”

Charity

Inclusive volunteering through Pembrokeshire Coast Pathways project

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE Coast Charitable Trust has received generous support from the Swire Charitable Trust to expand inclusive volunteering opportunities across the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.

The Pathways project enables a broad range of individuals from local communities to participate in supported outdoor volunteering activities. This initiative prioritises accessibility and inclusivity, offering opportunities for individuals who may not otherwise be able to engage in volunteering. Through tailored activities and the support of experienced lead volunteers, the project provides a safe and welcoming environment for participants to learn new skills and work collaboratively.

Graham Peake, Pathways Project Lead, said: “The Swire Charitable Trust’s support has been instrumental in ensuring that more people can experience the benefits of volunteering while contributing to conservation and heritage projects across the National Park. Through Pathways, we are not only enhancing our natural environment but also fostering a sense of community and belonging.”

In 2024, the Pathways project delivered 86 volunteering sessions, contributing a remarkable 825.5 volunteer days across more than 30 sites in Pembrokeshire. Volunteers took part in a diverse range of practical conservation and heritage tasks. These included community archaeology site work, where volunteers cleared gorse and helped preserve ancient monuments, as well as hedge laying and hedge bank restoration at St Brides. Other activities involved scrub clearance and coppicing at Brynberian and Newport, removing invasive species such as Himalayan balsam, and tree planting to enhance biodiversity.

Volunteers also worked on habitat creation by planting wildflowers to improve meadow ecosystems and undertook path maintenance and access improvements to support public safety and conservation work. The project further engaged in specialist activities, including fungal identification walks at Tŷ Canol National Nature Reserve and the installation of a new notice board at St Govans, Castlemartin.

Pathways has had a profound impact on the local community, providing opportunities for over 30 volunteers to contribute their time and skills. Evaluations conducted between November 2024 and January 2025 highlighted the project’s social, physical, and mental health benefits. Volunteers consistently reported increased well-being, a greater connection to nature, and the satisfaction of giving back to their community.

Mitch Hill, Pathways Project Lead, said: “One of the most rewarding aspects of this project has been witnessing the personal growth of our volunteers. Many have gained new skills, increased their confidence, and even transitioned into further volunteering roles, employment, or education.”

In addition to hands-on conservation work, the project provided vital training for lead volunteers, including mental health awareness, first aid, and equality, diversity, and inclusion training. This investment in volunteer development ensures the sustainability and long-term impact of the programme.

As the project grows, Pathways aims to strengthen partnerships with local organisations, including Mind Pembrokeshire and community groups, to support an even more diverse range of volunteers. It will also broaden its impact on nature recovery through collaboration with the National Trust, the Wildlife Trust, and other conservation partners.

Katie Macro, Director of the Pembrokeshire Coast Charitable Trust, concluded: “We are incredibly grateful to the Swire Charitable Trust for making Pathways possible. Their support has enabled us to reach more people, deliver meaningful conservation work, and create lasting benefits for both the environment and the local community.”

Visit www.pembrokeshirecoast.wales/volunteering to find out more about Pathways and other volunteering opportunities in the National Park.

Continue Reading

News

Unison calls for fair funding as NI hike leaves Wales short by £65m

Published

on

WALES could be left facing a funding shortfall of up to £65 million due to the way its budget is calculated, trade union UNISON warned on Thursday (Apr 3).

The union says a rise in employer national insurance contributions, set to take effect on Sunday (Apr 6), will see the UK Treasury cover the additional costs for public services in England—but not in Wales.

UNISON is calling on the UK government to “play fair” by reviewing how money is allocated to the devolved nations. It says the Barnett formula—used to distribute public funds—fails to account for the larger size of the public sector in Wales, leaving essential services exposed.

Jess Turner, UNISON Cymru/Wales secretary, said: “Our plea to the UK government is to treat Wales fairly. If public services in England are to be fully covered for the national insurance increase, then those in Wales must be too. That additional cash can only come from Westminster.

“The Treasury is effectively penalising Wales because of the comparatively larger size of its public service workforce.”

According to the union, the shortfall will place even more strain on services already under pressure after years of underfunding.

“Fifteen years of squeezing budgets has placed public services under intolerable strain,” said Ms Turner. “A shortfall of tens of millions of pounds will harm the quality of vital services and heap further pressure on the Welsh workforce, who are already being asked to do more with less.

“More broadly, it’s clear the way Wales is funded within the UK needs to be reviewed.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

Published

on

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.

Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.

He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.

The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.

He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.

Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).

Continue Reading

Charity5 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business16 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime23 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week