Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Pembrokeshire man’s ‘humiliation’ after childhood abuse allegations ignored by Surrey Police Force

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE man has spoken of his ‘desperation, violation and humiliation’ after Surrey Police Force deliberately turned its back on his allegations of abuse which persisted throughout his childhood and adolescence.

Steven Delahunty suffered months of defeat at the hands of Surrey police officers as he attempted to commence an investigation into his historical child abuse claims.

‘Here is a man who had a serious complaint”, commented Judge Huw Rees during today’s trial at Swansea Crown Court. 

  “But the police did nothing about it. His face was set against the wall and he was acting in desperation.”

Mr Delahunty, 50, denied two charges of sending electronic messages, namely voicemails and tweets, to Surrey Police Force with the intention of causing anxiety or distress.

Throughout the trial Delahunty,  of Westgate Hill, Pembroke, said his actions were the cry of a ‘desperate man who had reached breaking point’.

“My motivation was simply to ask for help,” he told the jury in his mitigation.  “I was in a bad way.  After ten and a half months, I lost it.  I’m sorry.”

Delahunty sent the first batch of electronic messages to the personal assistant of the Surrey Crime Commissioner on the morning of Sunday, April 8, 2022. The first voicemail was made at 8.05am and nine further messages were sent every few minutes, ending at 8.31am.

 The messages related to the way in which Surrey police had failed to respond to historic child abuse allegations which Delahunty claimed he had endured throughout his childhood and adolescence years.

Mr Delahunty stated that he was ‘contemplating killing and executing Surrey police officers’.

“I don’t want to take anybody’s life, but I’ve been abused by the state and by Surrey Police”, read one message.

Another read “If I tried to take the law into my own hands and execute or kill a police officer, maybe I’d get a reaction.”

The second charge related to a number of tweets which Delahunty sent to Surrey Police Force under his twitter name of Astro Paradiso, on August 7, 2022.

“If I had an automatic rifle, I’d be down Surrey police headquarters in Guildford’ read one post while another said, ‘When you discovered I lived in Pembrokeshire, you did not care.  Nothing has been done.  No letter, sweet FA.”

Delahunty chose to be legally unrepresented in court. In his mitigation he said his actions were the result of his increased desperation at being overlooked by the police in his efforts to challenge his allegations of childhood abuse.

In May, 2021, he was interviewed by a female officer concerning his allegations and was confident that this might finally lead to a police investigation into his allegations..

“I thought that at last I’ve got someone who will understand me,” said Delahunty, breaking down in tears in the dock.

“She listened to what I had to say for over an hour and the following day sent me an email saying she would be away on annual leave but would get back to tell me what was going on.  But she never did.

“I felt violated and humiliated.

“ For ten and a half months I kept calling up and asking what was going on, but I felt I was being treated like Benny in Crossroads…like the village idiot.”

Mr Delahunty went on to say that on one occasion he was asked to provide Surrey officers with his current postal address.

“And when I told her, the officer said, ‘Pembrokeshire?’  We’re not going there.  I’m  not being funny, but have you ever thought of speaking to The Samaritans?’

“And that was when I made the decision to take control of the situation for my own mental health – I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown.”

Steven Delahunty went on to accuse the police of deliberately prolonging their period of non-communication.

“My motivation was simply to ask for help but they chose to wait for four months because they wanted me to get back on the phone in an increasingly agitated state.  They wanted the meat.  The police were waiting for that threat to kill.”

After listening to the mitigation, the jury reached a unanimous verdict after a short deliberation of just over 30 minutes. Steven Delahunty was found not guilty on both charges.

Following the verdict, Judge Huw Rees requested that Mr Delahunty’s allegations concerning his child abuse be investigated by Dyfed-Powys Police. He invited them to meet with Mr Delahunty to discuss his concerns.

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

Published

on

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.

Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.

He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.

The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.

He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.

Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).

Continue Reading

Charity20 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business1 day ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News2 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business3 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime4 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week