Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Motor World ‘Milford eyesore’ goes out to tender for third time

Published

on

LONG-TERM plans to redevelop a Milford Haven “eyesore” have been labelled “a fiasco” with the council goes out to tender for a contractor for a third time.

The former Motor World site on Milford Haven’s Charles Street had been “a long-term eyesore” in one of the town’s main streets before a January 2020 approval to redevelop it as residential flats.

The area had been an eyesore for several years before demolition; former councillor Stephen Joseph saying at the time the flats scheme would fill “a great big ugly hole in the town centre that’s been there a long time now,” adding at the time: “The previous building was an eyesore.”

Back in 2021, site contractor WRW construction was put into administration by its directors under what was described as, ‘significant financial stress’.

Since then, a 2022 tender exercise for the site bore no fruit, with an ongoing tender exercise hoping to land a contractor.

Milford Haven Hakin County Councillor Mike Stoddart, who has previously raised concerns about the Motor World site, asked a pre-submitted question at the March 2 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s full council.

Cllr Stoddart asked: “Can the Leader [Cllr David Simpson] update members on the likely timeline for the development at the former Motor World building in Charles Street, Milford Haven?”

Answering the question, Cabinet Member for Planning & Housing Delivery Jon Harvey said: “It’s unfortunate and frustrating we have to go to tender for a third time.”

He said tender exercises in 2022 had only produced one applicant which didn’t fully meet council criteria, with the latest offer to tender valid until the end of March.

Members were told it was hoped any suitable applicant could be able to start works by next year.

Cllr Stoddart said: “I was asking questions of Keith Lewis [former deputy leader] in 2017, nothing has happened; it’s a fiasco.”

He added: “Milford Haven Port Authority have built a huge hotel down the docks in the meantime; there seems to be something wrong with the council’s contract delivery system.”

Cllr Harvey said it was hoped the latest tender exercise would lead to engagement to push the scheme forward.

News

Wales international Johnny Williams signs new Scarlets contract

Published

on

THE SCARLETS said this week that they are delighted to announce that Wales international centre Johnny Williams has signed a new contract with the club.

The 27-year-old joined the Scarlets from Newcastle Falcons in 2020 and after just four appearances earned his first Wales cap, against Georgia in Llanelli.

A powerful-carrying presence in the Scarlets midfield, he has since made 46 appearances, scoring six tries, including a memorable interception in last season’s Challenge Cup quarter-final win over Clermont Auvergne.

He has won seven caps for Wales, featuring at the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.

Scarlets head coach Dwayne Peel said: “Johnny has been a key member of the side in recent years. He’s a player who is a dynamic carrier, is physical with and without the ball, has a good skill set and has an impact on every game he’s involved in.

“He is an important cog in how we look to play and it’s fantastic that he has agreed a new contract with the club. I know the fans will be thrilled with this news and, along with the likes of Eddie James, Joe Roberts and with Macs Page coming through, we have a lot of talent in that midfield pool for the coming years.”

Johnny Williams said: “I am delighted to have signed a new contract. It has been a frustrating season in terms of results, but I am excited by the potential of the squad we are putting together.

“A lot of young boys have put their hands up and we showed during the final few games of the season the kind of rugby we can produce.

“Pre-season will be around before we know it and I’m looking forward to getting stuck in, ready for a big start to next season.”

Johnny is the latest player to recommit to the Scarlets ahead of the 2024-25 campaign, following Tonga lock Sam Lousi, Wales internationals Tom Rogers and Harri O’Connor and back-rowers Dan Davis and Ben Williams.

Scarlets have also strengthened their squad with the addition of hooker Marnus van der Merwe (Toyota Cheetahs), prop Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), full-back Ellis Mee (Nottingham), lock Max Douglas (Toyota Canon Eagles), Wales international prop Henry Thomas (Castres Olympique) and back-three player Blair Murray (Canterbury).

Continue Reading

Business

Tata workers call first strikes in 40 years to stop steel destruction

Published

on

HISTORIC strikes in Port Talbot as Labour vows emergency talks with Tata after general election

Around 1,500 Tata workers based in Port Talbot and Llanwern will begin all-out indefinite strike action over the company’s plans to cut 2,800 jobs and close its blast furnaces.

The strike action, which begins on 8 July, will severely impact Tata’s UK operations. It is the first time in over 40 years that steel workers in the UK have taken strike action.

The escalation in industrial action comes after the workers, who are members of Unite, the UK’s leading union, began working to rule and an overtime ban on Tuesday (June 17).

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Tata’s workers are not just fighting for their jobs – they are fighting for the future of their communities and the future of steel in Wales.

“Our members will not standby while this immensely wealthy conglomerate tries to throw Port Talbot and Llanwern on the scrapheap so it can boost its operations abroad. They know South Wales is ideally placed to take advantage of the coming boom in green steel – if the right choices are made.

“The strikes will go on until Tata halts its disastrous plans. Unite is backing Tata’s workers to the hilt in their historic battle to save the Welsh steel industry and give it the bright future it deserves.”

Labour has called for Tata to halt its plans and wait until after the general election to engage in talks with the government, saying there is a ‘better deal to do’. Labour has pledged £3 billion for UK steel if elected next month, a commitment secured by Unite. Labour has also made emergency talks with Tata a priority if it wins the election.

Continue Reading

News

Welsh Conservatives ask voters to send a message to Labour: ‘Enough is enough’

Published

on

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES are rallying voters to use their voice on Thursday, July 4th, to signal that 25 years of Labour governance in Wales is enough. However, the question remains whether their message will resonate with the electorate amidst predictions of a near-wipeout for the Tories in Wales.

Since 1999, Labour has overseen critical areas such as the Welsh NHS, education, transport, housing, rural affairs, and job creation. According to the Conservatives, this quarter-century of Labour rule has left Wales with the longest NHS waiting lists in the UK, the poorest educational outcomes, and the lowest employment levels in the country.

Unveiling the Welsh Conservative manifesto in Kinmel Bay this morning, David TC Davies highlighted their achievements, stating, “We have a strong record of action in Wales, from cutting taxes and putting £700 back into the pockets of hardworking Welsh workers, to delivering two freeports which will create thousands of jobs and investing over £2.5 billion to support transport, tourism, heritage, and culture across Wales.

“This is just the start. Our bold plan for Wales will go further so that people in Wales keep more of their hard-earned money to spend on what they want, not what the government wants. We will continue to bring investment and jobs to Wales, so that people can provide for their families and enjoy the security of home ownership. We will make sure our children have the best start in life, with access to opportunities they never thought possible.

“Labour’s lack of ambition for Wales is clear for all to see – Labour in Westminster and Wales ruling out the electrification of the North Wales main line. Only the Conservatives will deliver for North Wales.

“It is only by voting Welsh Conservative can our clear plan, with bold action be put in place and deliver a secure future for Wales.”

Andrew RT Davies MS echoed these sentiments, calling for a change in leadership: “Keir Starmer said that Labour in Wales was his blueprint for what he would do to the rest of the UK. Here in Wales, we know that is a stark warning as we suffer with 20,000 people waiting two years or more for treatment, a 50/50 chance of an ambulance arriving in our hour of need and 20mph speed limits hitting the Welsh economy by up to £9 billion. That is what 25 years of Labour in power looks like.

“But it doesn’t have to be like this. We have a plan to save our Welsh NHS, a plan to kickstart our economy and a plan to get Wales moving. On the 4th of July, it is essential that people use their voice to tell Labour that enough is enough and that Wales deserves better.”

At the heart of the Welsh Conservative election manifesto, set to be published on Friday, is the pledge to reverse Wales’ controversial 20mph speed limit policy by giving people a legal right to challenge existing zones. The policy, introduced by former First Minister Mark Drakeford’s government, has faced significant backlash despite figures showing a reduction in road injuries.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, Welsh Secretary David TC Davies, and Tory Senedd leader Andrew RT Davies will present the manifesto in Kinmel Bay, Conwy. Mr Sunak will describe Wales as a “great country, but a country let down by Labour,” which has led the Welsh government since devolution 25 years ago.

Additional neighbourhood police officers and a £1bn investment plan to electrify the North Wales main rail line will also feature prominently in the document. The electrification project, initially announced by Mr Sunak in October 2023 after cancelling the second leg of the HS2 high-speed rail line, aims to revitalise transport infrastructure in North Wales. However, transport experts estimate the actual cost could exceed £1.5bn.

During the manifesto launch, Mr Sunak is expected to criticise Welsh Labour’s priorities, accusing them of focusing solely on maintaining power. He will highlight initiatives like lowering the voting age to 16 in Senedd and local elections and increasing the number of Senedd members as examples of Labour’s self-serving strategies.

Despite calling the election last month, Mr Sunak has not seen a significant reduction in Labour’s lead in opinion polls. David TC Davies, expressing scepticism about Labour’s predicted victory, suggested that any Labour majority would lack enthusiastic support from the electorate.

As the July 4th election approaches, the Welsh Conservatives are emphasising the need for a dramatic shift in governance, advocating for policies they believe will rejuvenate Wales and rectify the issues they attribute to 25 years of Labour control.

Continue Reading

News6 hours ago

Welsh Conservatives ask voters to send a message to Labour: ‘Enough is enough’

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES are rallying voters to use their voice on Thursday, July 4th, to signal that 25 years of...

News18 hours ago

Climber rescued after falling 40ft from cliff at St Govans

TENBY’S all-weather lifeboat was launched at 6pm on Thursday 20th June, after the Coastguard received a report that a climber...

Health1 day ago

NHS performance: Ambulances tied up as hospitals burst at the seams

The Welsh Government described the data as “disappointing”. WG “LACKS GRIP” ON FUNDAMENTALS Sam Rowlands MS, the Conservatives’ Shadow Health...

Charity1 day ago

Two more shouts for the busy Angle RNLI crew

AT 5:47am on Sunday 16 (Jun 16), Angle All-Weather Lifeboat was requested to launch to assist a police incident at...

Community2 days ago

Renewed partnership safeguards access and conservation at Castlemartin

A NEW agreement has been made to provide continued funding for a Ranger Service on the Military Ranges of South...

Crime2 days ago

Youth arrested for racially aggravated common assault in Haverfordwest

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a racially aggravated assault which occurred in Tesco, Haverfordwest on Tuesday June 11,...

News4 days ago

Tributes paid to ‘much-loved’ couple who died in A477 collision

THE FAMILIES of a much-loved couple who died in a collision on the A477 on Thursday, June 13, 2024, have...

Crime4 days ago

Police confirm arrests following violent disorder in Pembroke Dock

POLICE in Pembrokeshire have made a statement following the incident on Saturday in which a man on a hoodie was...

Health4 days ago

Welsh cancer care in peril as workforce crisis escalates, warn radiologists

THE ROYAL College of Radiologists (RCR) has issued a stark warning about the escalating workforce crisis in Wales, revealing alarming...

Business4 days ago

Port reports over £40m in revenue for the first time in its history

IN the Port of Milford Haven’s 65th year, revenues exceeded £40m for the first time; closing the year at £41.3m....

Popular This Week