Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

Tuk Tuk touring business with franchise hopes gets licence plate call turned down

Published

on

A SOUTH Pembrokeshire three-wheeler ‘tuk tuk’ tour business, which has hopes of creating a country-wide franchise has had a call for discreet signage on a support vehicle turned down.

Pembrokeshire County Council’s licensing sub-committee, meeting on March 27, considered an application to amend standard terms and conditions of a private hire vehicle.

The application, by Lorraine Niederlag of Begelly-based Tuk Tuk Time, asked for standard external private hire plates to instead be displayed internally for its “usually affluent” clients.

The application for this change of plates asked: “We wish to request the removal of the large private hire licensing plates, in exchange for more discreet internal plates. The intention is to focus on tours that would compliment our tuk tuk tours.”

The applicants said the charming three-wheeler Tuk Tuks were usually kept to south Pembrokeshire tours, and were not really suitable for county-wide day trips; the support car being used for that.

“As our clients are usually affluent, it would be detrimental to arrive in a pre-booked vehicle with such a ‘taxi’ image. In view of all bookings being pre-booked, we cannot see any safety issues for clients by more discreet signage,” the application added.

At the committee meeting, TUK Tuk Time said it hoped to use the support vehicle, bearing the signage “Wales’ premier travel” for some short trips from its campsite to restaurants until the business grew.

Lorraine Niederlag told members it was hoped that Tuk Tuk Tours could eventually become a franchise, with similar three-wheeler Tuk Tuk and support car schemes running in other parts of the country.

She told members that if the small plates call was turned down the support vehicle would be sold.


Cover image: Giving a shout out to the Rainbow Delivery Squad are Lorraine Niederlag, family and staff of Tuk Tuk Time. Picture: Gareth Davies Photography

Business

Loss-making Haverfordwest Airport has official new operators

Published

on

HAVERFORDWEST’S airport officially has a private operator, which has leased the previously loss-making council-owned facility, promising to “breathe new life into such an iconic gateway”.

Back in 2024, members of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet supported the leasing of the council-run Withybush Airport as part of plans to make the facility cost-neutral to the authority.

In 2023, Cabinet members heard the financial position at the council-supported Haverfordwest/Withybush airport deteriorated in 2022/23, with an out-turn position for 2022/23 of £238,000.

That loss was been reduced to an expected £119,000 for 2023/24 “following an extensive review of the operations of the airport”.

Cabinet members, back in 2024, heard there would be a requirement on leases to obtain/keep a CAA [Civil Aviation Authority] Cat II licence and at a market rent, which would “make the airport cost-neutral to the council from the day the lease is signed, whilst also ensuring that an operational airport remains for Pembrokeshire to benefit from”.

Deputy Leader Cllr Paul Miller at the time said: “The airport is a valuable facility and one I’m keen to maintain; I personally recognise that maintaining an ongoing public subsidy is not something we’re particularly keen to do indefinitely.”

He added: “What the lease, we believe, will do is maintain a franchising CAT II airport in Haverfordwest and remove our liability from day one.”

At the March 2025 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee, members heard the final paperwork was “on track” to hand the airport over to the new operators by the start of April, with the facility becoming “cost-neutral” to the authority “from the moment it’s handed over to the operator”.

On April 1, Haverfordwest Airport Limited took the lease on the airport, officially taking over its management from the council.

Haverfordwest Airport Limited has said: “We are absolutely thrilled to be a part of this exciting new chapter as the proud operators of Haverfordwest Airport.

“This is a remarkable opportunity for us to breathe new life into such an iconic gateway, and we are committed to enhancing the airport’s facilities and services for the benefit of the community, visitors, and businesses alike.

“We also recognise the importance of Haverfordwest Airport to the emergency services, and we are dedicated to continuing our support for their vital operations, 24/7, 365 days a year.

“We would like to acknowledge the hard work of Pembrokeshire County Council in getting us to this point, and we look forward to driving the airport’s growth, innovation, and connectivity in the years ahead.”

Continue Reading

Business

£20m investment to unlock Cardiff Airport’s potential and drive South Wales growth

Published

on

THE WELSH Government has confirmed the first phase of a major new investment package for Cardiff Airport, pledging £20 million to boost economic development and secure the long-term future of the site.

The funding marks the beginning of a ten-year programme designed to harness the airport’s capacity as a strategic asset for Wales. The scheme is expected to drive further growth across the South Wales region and create new opportunities in aviation, logistics, and employment.

Announcing the investment on Wednesday (Apr 2), Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Energy and Planning, Rebecca Evans MS, said the Welsh Government had completed due diligence on the proposals, including a review by the Competition and Markets Authority.

Ms Evans said: “We remain committed to the growth of this essential economic infrastructure, which currently generates over £200 million in Gross Value Added (GVA) annually and supports thousands of jobs in the South Wales region.”

Plans under the investment include potential development of aircraft maintenance facilities, improved cargo handling capabilities, and support for general aviation. Some of the funding will also be used to explore new air routes, with an emphasis on improving connectivity and Wales’ presence in global markets.

The £20 million commitment follows a previous announcement in July 2024, where the Welsh Government outlined its ambition to make Cardiff Airport a catalyst for economic expansion in Wales. This latest funding, according to Ms Evans, will help the region realise that vision and support a “vibrant and outward-facing” national economy.

Officials will monitor the impact of the funding throughout the ten-year period, with performance reviews planned and a focus on minimising subsidies while delivering value for money.

A record of the financial award will be published on the UK subsidy transparency database.

However, the decision has sparked criticism from the Welsh Conservatives, who renewed their call for the airport to be sold to the private sector.

Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Transport and Infrastructure, Peter Fox MS, said: “The Labour Government’s decision to inject the first £20 million of a planned £200 million into Cardiff Airport will bring the total amount of Welsh taxpayer money invested to over £200 million.

“Cardiff Airport is a financial burden on the Labour Welsh Government and Welsh taxpayers, and it is time for Labour to finally do the right thing and sell the airport to the private sector.

“Ministers in Cardiff Bay lack the essential expertise to manage an airport. That is why an experienced corporation in the private sector, with proven industry knowledge, would be better placed to ensure the airport not only survives but thrives.”

The Herald understands that further investment decisions will be made as the programme progresses, depending on the outcomes and economic impact of the initial phase.

Continue Reading

Business

West Wales tourist attraction’s new water park hopes

Published

on

WEST WALES could have a new water park attraction in proposals being mooted by the award-winning Moody Cow Farm Shop and Welsh Kitchen, near Aberaeron, Ceredigion.

The award-winning Moody Cow Farm Shop and Welsh Kitchen, along with Bargoed Farm, is owned by Chris and Geraint Thomas.

The couple moved to the derelict farm in 2010 after previously diversifying their cattle farm in the Brecon Beacons, but then losing everything due to legal issues.

They completely transformed the site before opening Bargoed Farm Campsite in 2018 and using wooden hot tubs as a unique way to bring in customers.

Chris and Geraint then launched The Moody Cow Farm Shop and Welsh Kitchen, serving up a wide range of Welsh dishes created using local ingredients.

Over the years, the attraction has expanded, recently gaining permission for a trampoline park on-site, called the ‘Bouncing Bull,’ and, back in 2023, was given planning permission expand its on-site caravan park with new tourer pitches with hot tubs, and glamping accommodation.

Bargoed Farm has now launched a public consultation on proposals to expand the attraction with a water park and leisure facility.

Details of exactly what is proposed have not been released yet.

The consultation, available online through surveymonkey or from Bargoed Farm, says: “Bargoed Farm is planning an exciting new indoor and outdoor waterpark and leisure facility, designed to provide year-round water-based activities for visitors and the local community.

“This new development will include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, thrilling water slides, a dedicated training pool, a children’s splash area, and a warm activity pool, ensuring that people of all ages and abilities can enjoy high-quality aquatic experiences in all seasons.

“Our aim is to create a premier leisure attraction in Mid Wales, offering family fun, fitness, and relaxation, while also supporting the local economy by drawing more visitors to the area.

“As we progress with the planning and development of this project, we are committed to ensuring that the views and needs of both local residents and visitors are fully considered. This survey has been created to gather your feedback on how you would use the facility, what features are most important to you, and how we can make it as accessible and enjoyable as possible.

“Your insights will directly influence the final design of the waterpark, helping us to shape it into a valuable asset for the local community and a must-visit destination for tourists.

“By taking part, you are helping to ensure that this development is designed in a way that best serves those who will use it most.

“We greatly appreciate your time in completing this survey.

“Whether you are a local resident looking for improved swimming facilities, a visitor who would love a high-quality waterpark in the region, or a business owner interested in how this could boost the local economy, your feedback is essential in shaping the future of this exciting new project.”

Bargoed Farm, which publicised the proposals on March 31/April 1, has confirmed the scheme was not an April Fools.

Continue Reading

Charity7 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business18 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week