News
Mother and her ‘monster’ partner jailed over two-year-old murder

THE PAIR found guilty of causing the death of two-year-old Lola James have today (Apr 25) been sentenced at Swansea Crown Court.
Kyle Bevan, 31, was found guilty of murdering Lola by inflicting catastrophic head injuries during a ‘frenzied, brutal and violent attack’ during an incident at the tots home in Princess Royal Way, Haverfordwest on July 17, 2020.
Sinead James, 30, Lola’s mother, was asleep upstairs when the attack happened.
James was found guilty of allowing or causing the death of a child by failing to protect Lola from her ‘volatile and unpredictable’ partner.
The pair were found unanimously guilty by a jury of their peers on April 4, following a four week trial.
At today’s sentencing hearing, Caroline Rees KC for the Crown Prosecution Service told the court that according to sentencing guidelines, Bevan should be sentenced to life in prison with a minimum of 15 years, however asked the court to take into account the major aggravating features which would suggest a very significant increase in the minimum term.
She said: “As a starting point alone on count 1, murder, is that of 15 years.
“Whilst we make that submission, by no means is that the end point in this case.

” The serious features of this offence, would merit a very significant uplift”
Ms Rees KC went on to tell the court that they must consider the fact that Lola was a very young child at the time of the incident, just two years and 10 months, was extremely vulnerable and the totality of injuries inflicted on her tiny body.
Lola had multiple extensive internal head injuries and no less than 101 surface injuries on her body. During evidence in the trial, one peadiatrician described Lola as “one of the most battered and bruised bodies” she had ever seen.
Mr Hipkin KC, Bevan’s defence barrister offered no mitigation on behalf of his defendant and publicly agreed with the submission with the prosecution with regards to minimum term and accepted all three aggravating factors.
In terms of the sentencing for Lola’s mother, Sinead James, the prosecution asked the court to start at a minimum starting point of nine years imprisonment.
Ms Rees KC said it was the Crown’s submission that Domestic violence and the loss of her child should not be accepted by the court as a mitigating factor on whether to used as a reduction to any minimum term imposed by the court.
The prosecution argue that they put a case forward that would merit James’ care element at the highest sentencing category and the culpability element at the second highest.
This is refuted by Mr Elias KC, representing James. He told the court how although at first James had not considered the relationship one that would typically be described as a domestic violence relationship, James at least in the week leading up to Lola’s death had started to recognise the signs.
He described his client as being intimidated by Bevan, and was fearful over what he would do to her should she have called the police.
Judge His Honour Justice Griffiths, reminded counsel that during evidence given in the court, James had been seen being assertive with Bevan and did not seem to be in fear.
Judge His Honour Justice Griffiths said: “Lola was described by her grandmother as a character who loved life

“Her father said she was always smiling and a ray of sunshine and a laugh that could fill a room with pure joy.
“You Kyle Bevan murdered her when she was only 2 years old and you Sinead James allowed her death. You have shattered a family and the life of her sisters.”
His Honor continued: “He started to hurt Lola at midnight and carried on until Lola was unconscious at 6.30am.
“This was a sustained, deliberate and very violent attack. The attack was completely unprovoked.
“For some of the injuries Kyle Bevan used weapons.
“It would of caused emotional and physical pain before her coma.
“I am sure Kyle Bevan did this as an exercise of power, of some superior power on the only person he could, that of an innocent child.
“He has no remorse at all, even now.”
When speaking on the sentence for Sinead James, His Honor Judge Justice Griffiths said: “She prioritised her relationship with Kyle bevan over the safety of her children, this was evident when she went back to bed when Kyle Bevan first attacked Lola at midnight.
“Chronology shows Sinead James was made aware of multiple injuries to her children leaving visible marks.
“She knew he had taken hammer to light switch, he was subject to mood swings, he was known to take recreational drugs that had an affect on him.
She always brought the children back and kept leaving them in his sole care.
“When they were injured she did not take them to doctor of hospital or disclose to police when Kyle Bevan was violent.
“She failed to take any effective steps to protect Lola.
“Even though she had proved she could do so.”
Bevan was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum term of 28 years. However Judge His Honor Justice Griffiths warned he may never be released.
James was sentenced to six years in prison, she will serve half in prison with the remaining sentence on licence.
Community
Inspiring a love of reading with local authors

THE PEMBROKESHIRE LIBRARY SERVICE recently took part in the Books Council of Wales ‘Stars of the Shelves’ Initiative – to bring school children into libraries to meet local authors.
Grant funded by Welsh Government, the initiative aims to engage primary school pupils with literature and reading through author-led sessions in local libraries.
Pembroke Dock, Narberth, Milford Haven and Fishguard Libraries all took part and welcomed around 200 children at various sessions during March.
Welsh authors Kerry Curson and Rebecca F John were commissioned to deliver the workshops which were a fantastic chance for learners to interact with professional writers, explore storytelling and foster a love for reading and writing.
Pembroke Dock Community School and Narberth CP School enjoyed “fun”, “interesting” and “inspirational” workshops with Kerry where the pupils created their own stories, learned new vocabulary and felt more confident about their writing afterwards.
St Francis Catholic School, Ysgol Glannau Gwaun and Ysgol Wdig enjoyed hearing about Rebecca’s books and inspiration as well as taking part in the creative writing process and character development exercises and several found themselves wanting to read more.
Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett said: “Our libraries are more than just places to borrow books and this Books Council of Wales initiative is just one example of the importance of libraries in the community.
“There was overwhelmingly positive feedback from the pupils who took part, and it is fantastic to see our young people fostering enthusiasm for reading and writing.”
Tracey Johnson, Site Coordinator for Fishguard, Newport and St Davids libraries, liaised with the Books Council of Wales and the authors, to organise the timetable of visits.
She added: “It was great to see so many primary age children in our libraries, enjoying themselves and learning in a fun way.
“It’s really important that we help develop the ‘library habit’ of visiting regularly, to help encourage a love of reading from an early age. Libraries are free to join, and library staff are here to help children and parents who visit.”
News
Neyland councillor threatens legal action under Equalities Act

NEYLAND TOWN COUNCIL is once again under scrutiny following a strongly worded letter from Councillor David Devauden, who has accused the Town Clerk of discrimination and threatened multiple legal actions.

In an email sent to fellow councillors and members of the public on Tuesday (Apr 1), Cllr Devauden alleges breaches of the Equalities Act 2010, as well as libel and harassment, in connection with ongoing disputes within the council.
Claims of discrimination and legal threats
The email alleges that the Town Clerk, Libby Matthews, has engaged in what Cllr Devauden describes as “the illegal practice of discrimination” against himself and fellow councillors Brian Rothero and Steve Thomas. He claims the Clerk has refused to respond to correspondence and has shown bias in favour of certain councillors.
“This is called OPENNESS, something we, as a Council, were proud to proclaim but failed to act on,” he wrote.
Drawing on his past experience as a part-time paralegal, Cllr Devauden stated he specialised in libel and discrimination law and accused the Clerk of misandry and malicious communications. He claims the complaints against him lacked evidence and were nothing more than “a misandristic rant.”
Ultimatum to Clerk
Cllr Devauden issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Libby Matthews, demanding her resignation “with no compensation and no benefits.” He warned that if she did not comply, he would pursue a case under the Equalities Act 2010 and other legislation.
“If you resign immediately then I will cease taking legal action against the Council,” he stated, though he added he could not guarantee the same for civil proceedings relating to social media posts alleging sexual harassment and excessive email communications.
He also warned of intended complaints to police under the Malicious Communications Act 1988 and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, and stated his intention to pursue a libel case under the Human Rights Act 1998 if the allegations made against him are not substantiated with evidence.
Tensions continue to mount
The letter follows weeks of controversy surrounding the council, including the co-option of the Clerk’s mother to the council, accusations of secrecy, and increasing public dissatisfaction with council leadership.
As of now, the Town Clerk has not publicly responded to the letter.
Upcoming tribunal
The Pembrokeshire Herald has found that Cllr David Devauden is due to face a tribunal under reference APW/005/2024-025/CT, brought by the Adjudication Panel for Wales.
The hearing relates to alleged breaches of paragraphs 4(b), 4(c), 6(1)(a), 6(1)(d), and 6(2) of the Code of Conduct, which outline the following responsibilities:
- 4(b): Councillors must show respect and consideration for others.
- 4(c): Councillors must not use bullying behaviour or harass any person.
- 6(1)(a): Councillors must not conduct themselves in a manner likely to bring their office or authority into disrepute.
- 6(1)(d): Councillors must not disclose confidential information contrary to legal or policy obligations.
- 6(2): Councillors must not make vexatious, malicious or frivolous complaints against others.
The relevant authority is Neyland Town Council. Further details about the hearing are expected to be released in due course.
More referrals expected
A source close to the council has indicated that further referrals to the Adjudication Panel for Wales may be forthcoming, although this has not yet appeared on the public tribunal list.
Former councillor Andrew Lye also stated he has made a police complaint regarding what he describes as bullying by Cllr Devauden. He has expressed frustration over a lack of response from Dyfed-Powys Police and is considering referring the force to the Ombudsman over their handling of the complaint.
The Pembrokeshire Herald will continue to monitor developments and report on the outcome of any legal action or council response.
Business
Labour costs loom ahead of new financial year

WELSH businesses are under increasing pressure to raise prices due to rising labour costs, according to the latest Quarterly Economic Survey by Chambers Wales South East, South West and Mid.
The first survey of 2025 reveals that 85% of businesses in Wales cite labour costs—including salaries, pay settlements and contractor fees—as a major pressure in the first quarter. This marks a rise from 81% in the final quarter of 2024.
Firms are also bracing for the impact of increases to the National Minimum Wage on 1 April and Employer National Insurance Contributions on 6 April. As a result, 44% of surveyed businesses said they plan to raise the price of goods or services by up to 15% to absorb these costs. A further 10% said they will increase prices due to the National Insurance rise alone.
Despite financial pressures, workforce stability remained strong. Seventy-six per cent of businesses reported no change in staffing levels over the past three months. However, the proportion of companies attempting to recruit fell to 40%, down from 45% in the previous quarter. Looking ahead, 58% expect their workforce to remain unchanged in the next quarter, while 23% plan to increase staff numbers.

The Q1 survey also reflected cautious optimism, with 39% of respondents reporting a rise in export sales and bookings. Additionally, 28% of businesses said they had increased investment in plant, machinery, technology and equipment. Nearly half (45%) forecast an improvement in turnover.
Gus Williams, interim CEO at Chambers Wales South East, South West and Mid, said:
“In our recent Quarterly Economic Surveys, including this survey for Q1, recurring concerns for businesses centre around labour costs and taxation. As changes are set to come into effect in April, businesses in Wales are having to review their goods and services prices, ongoing costs and recruitment plans.
“While there have been glimmers of optimism in exporting and some aspects of investment this quarter, firms will require reassurance and action from government to avoid stagnating and unlock growth. The Office for Budget Responsibility’s revised growth forecasts suggest that economic growth is less certain this year but will be a longer-term achievement.”
-
Crime7 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime7 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime7 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News7 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News7 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn
-
News7 days ago
Plaid Cymru slam “jaw-dropping” remarks by First Minister on welfare cuts
-
Community7 days ago
Henry Tufnell MP demands urgent action on Cleddau river crisis
-
Health6 days ago
Senedd backs ‘buy-one-get-one-free’ ban amid obesity crisis