Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Confirmed: Milford Haven police station moving in early September

Published

on

MILFORD HAVEN POLICE STATION is being closed and sold off, and the police are moving to a new location near to the Haven’s Head out-of-town shopping centre

This, the police say, is in line with wider changes that will modernise and improve the policing service in Pembrokeshire.

Milford Haven Police Station has not been open to the public for a number of years, and the new station will also be closed to the public with the nearest counter service being at Haverfordwest.

The Neighbourhood Policing Team will be based at Cedar Court, Haven’s Head Business Park, from early September. The police said in a statement that this “is to be nearer to where residents feel the police should be based on demand caused by anti-social behaviour.”

Milford Haven Central councillor Terry Davies slammed the decision. He said:” I am very disappointed to see this happening in Milford Haven.

“To have a new station manned solely by PCSOs at Cedar Court with no access to the general public only by 101 or Facebook beggars belief.

Cllr Davies added: “With so much infrastructure around its shores and with the port increasing over the next few years I see no logic with this decision.”

The police released a lengthy statement on Monday (Aug 7) explaining that this move is part of a bigger change programme across Heddlu Dyfed-Powys Police, where estates, technology, and the equipment available to officers and staff are coming together to improve policing and the service to communities.

Chief Constable Dr Richard Lewis told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “This decision came after careful evaluation to make best use of resources and deliver an effective police service that meets the needs and expectations of our communities.

“The new police base at Cedar Court is a step forward in modernising and improving our services, enabling officers to continue their work with greater efficiency and effectiveness.

“The decision to close and sell the old station has also been made with the best interests of taxpayers and the community in mind, as the current station is no longer fit for purpose and is expensive to run.

“I want to reassure the local community that Heddlu Dyfed-Powys Police is committed to maintaining the same level of service and support for our local communities, and residents and business in Milford Haven will see no difference.

“Your local neighbourhood policing team will continue to provide a visible presence and effective engagement with residents and businesses.”

The building at Charles Street, Milford Haven will go to market in the coming days.

Police and Crime Commissioner Dafydd Llywelyn said: “Historically, talk of police bases moving or stations closing and being sold, has triggered a narrative of police withdrawing from communities, fears about response times, and concerns about an increase in crime and disorder.

“However, I have been reassured by Chief Constable Dr Richard Lewis, that there will be no difference in the level of service to the public in Milford Haven as a result of this estates decision.

“As Police and Crime Commissioner, I want to assure the public that despite the difficult decision to sell the station, our commitment to ensuring the safety and security of our communities remains our priority.

“I recognise that change can be challenging, but please be assured that this strategic move will allow Dyfed-Powys Police to allocate resources more efficiently and will enhance their policing efforts.

“In today’s digital age, we are fortunate to have various channels through which people can connect with Dyfed-Powys Police. In addition to phone calls, we encourage people to explore online methods and social media platforms used by the Force. These platforms often provide valuable updates, crime prevention advice, and community engagement opportunities, allowing people to connect and engage with the police and stay informed about local issues.

“By utilising these alternative channels, we can collectively contribute to more responsive and efficient policing, allowing Dyfed-Powys Police to focus on critical situations while still addressing the concerns and needs of our community.

“If anyone has questions or concerns, I encourage you to reach out to my office. We value your input and appreciate your ongoing support in ensuring the safety and well-being of our communities.”

The police said local communities can contribute to more responsive and efficient policing by using online methods of contact.

They continued: “If you need the police when it is not an emergency, you can contact them through a direct message on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, online, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

“Follow your Neighbourhood Policing Teams at Milford Haven and Neyland Police on Facebook and @DPPMilfordHaven on Twitter for all policing news, appeals and notification of engagement events.

“If a crime is in progress, or there is a danger to life, risk of serious injury, or damage to property, always dial 999.”

Crime

Haverfordwest resident denies assault on partner during birthday break

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST man has gone on trial accused of attacking his partner while on holiday in Pembrokeshire.

John Roberts, aged 51, of Barn Street, appeared at Swansea Crown Court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.

The incident is alleged to have taken place on August 24 last year at a shepherd’s hut in Rosemarket, where the couple were staying to celebrate the complainant’s birthday.

Roberts is accused of grabbing his partner by the hair and banging her head against a wall, before damaging a fireplace inside the property. He denies both charges.

Opening the case, prosecutor Emily Bennett told the jury that Roberts and the complainant had been in a relationship for twelve years and were enjoying a holiday following a family barbecue.

She said that shortly after midnight, Roberts’ “mood changed,” and he allegedly launched the attack.

The jury heard that the complainant managed to escape, locked herself in the bathroom and called the police. When she later emerged, Roberts had left the property — taking one of their dogs and the keys with him — and she noticed the fireplace had been damaged.

Roberts was arrested later that day. In police interview, he denied assaulting the woman or causing any damage, claiming she had “started on him” after accusing him of being unfaithful.

The trial, before Judge Wayne Beard, continues.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity1 day ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business2 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News2 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News3 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime3 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business3 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime4 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week