Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

A “spiteful” burglar who targeted the home of a bride knowing she would be at her wedding has been jailed.

Published

on

86576Ceri Davies, 26, broke into Annwen Bell’s home as she was marrying her long term partner Jonathan.
Davies “trashed” the house after learning that his mother, Jill, had not been invited to the wedding.
Annwen Bell’s father had left home two years earlier and formed a relationship with Davies’ mother.
As Annwen and Jonathan planned their wedding it was decided not to invite Jill Davies “to keep the peace”.
They invited her father but Annwen refused to allow him to give her away.
Janet Gedrych, prosecuting, told Swansea crown court how Davies broke into the couple’s home at Maes Gwyn, Llanfair Clydogau, west Wales, on the afternoon of May 25 knowing that the couple were due to be married at 3pm and to then enjoy a reception in the seaside village of Aberaeron 20 miles away.
“It was motivated by malice,” she added. “It was targeted to that house due to the relationships between the parties
“Annwen had taken her mother’s side and there was ill feeling between the two sides.”
Davies caused Ł5,500 worth of damage, slashing furniture with a knife, leaving on water taps in a bathroom and the kitchen to cause flooding and using a hammer to leave imprints on computers, televisions and kitchen work surfaces.
He also stole Ł295 in cash, a 20 euro note and even the cards of congratulations for the marriage.
But, said Miss Gedrych, two men carrying out an archaeology study nearby heard the sound of breaking glass and challenged Davies.
They saw him leaving the property with a carrier bag and followed him.
They called the police who continued the chase until Davies threw away the bag and ran across a field.
But he was caught by police and arrested.
Miss Gedrych said police had to approach the couple at their reception that evening and explain that their home had been burgled and trashed.
In a victim impact statement, Jonathan Bell said, “Annwen invited her father to the wedding but she was not willing for him to give her away.
“It was such a special day and we cannot remember that day as we should.
“Gifts from her grandparents were broken. It does not feel like a home anymore.”
Jill Davies was also arrested after police became aware that her car had been in the area at the time. But she said she had given her son a lift so he could go for a walk and had no idea a burglary would be carried out. She was not charged with any offence.
Davies, of Room 2, 4 Albert Place, Aberystwyth, admitted burglary and causing criminal damage. He was jailed for three years and four months.
Davies’ barrister, Victoria Thomas, said Davies was addicted to cannabis at the time.
“That does not take away the pain that was caused to the couple. It was their wedding day.
“His mother accepts that what he did was terrible. She is ashamed at what he has done.
“He ruined their wedding day,” added Miss Thomas.
She said he turned on water taps in the hope of washing away any DNA evidence.
Judge Paul Thomas told Davies, “Any house burglary is taken very seriously by the courts. It usually causes psychological and emotional harm.
“In any way this was a particularly spiteful burglary. It was a revenge attack.”
Davies, he added, had set out to cause as much harm as he could to a woman on the most important day of her life.
“It was a simple dispute. Because of the wedding your mother had not been invited. It happens at weddings week in, week out.
“But you decided not only to burgle their home but to wreck it. You vindictively trashed their home.
“You made as sure as you could that they would come back and they would face a scene of heartbreaking devastation.”
Judge Thomas said Davies had a record for arson and criminal damage and “seemed to get a kick” out of destroying other people’s property and the pain it caused them.

Continue Reading

News

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the second day of his trial.

James Oulton, 34, of Haverfordwest would put his hands around students’ waists and touch their bottoms, an ex-female pupil said in a video interview played to Swansea Crown Court.

The defendant denies 30 charges of sexual assault at a primary school in Haverfordwest. The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

On the opening day of the trial, court heard that Oulton said the case was a “witch-hunt” and that he always behaved appropriately with children.

On Tuesday, the jury watched the video interview with one of Oulton’s former pupils, who said he was a “friendly person, very chatty and sociable and quite outgoing and wanted to know everything that was going on.”

She added: “Mr Oulton often wanted to know a lot of details on what we had done over the weekend, where we had been, and also who they had been with.”

“At the time I just thought he was trying to be really friendly but now when I look back at it now, it does seem odd.”

The witness also described the defendant as a “very touchy-feely teacher”.

She added: “If he was marking your work or if you approached him to ask him a question, he would put his hands around your waist or around your bum”.

“If he was standing by his desk, he would, like, motion to his knee, so he wouldn’t ask you directly to sit on his lap but he would tap his knee.”

Swansea Crown Court heard that the witness eventually came forward and told her parents parents after she heard them speaking about Mr Oulton being suspended from his job.

“Did you feel under pressure to say something had happened to you?” asked Mr Clee.

The witness answered “No”

Oulton, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, previously told the court he had behaved appropriately.

He also believed letters were sent by Pembrokeshire County Council to parents which encouraged “deliberately false evidence” and collusion between pupils.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading

News

‘We don’t want it’: councillors object to HGV tanker park plans

Published

on

PEMBROKE DOCK town councillors have objected strongly to plans to build a HGV tanker park in the town.

The tanker park would be located on the south-western side of Criterion Way, behind the ASDA petrol station.

However, at a meeting of the town council’s Planning Committee on Tuesday, April 13, councillors were in agreement that it would create more problems for the town.

Councillor Jonathan George said: “I’ve noted the public input on this and they don’t seem very happy about where it’s going to be put.

“It is close to a small park area and I don’t think it’s suitable to put this here. I won’t be supporting this.”

Cllr George Manning added: “There are many aspects of this which are totally inappropriate for Pembroke Dock. There are many other sites available but they haven’t looked at any of them.

“This does not do anything for the Future Generations act and it will bring more disruption to the town.

“This does not bring about any improvements to the existing transport infrastructure. There are lots of things about this, we don’t want it. I don’t think they have looked into it in enough detail.”

Cllr Gordon Goff said that the impact it would have on the public and wildlife would be ‘astronomical’.

He went on to say he was not happy with one of the statements in the application and said they ‘don’t want to be blackmailed’.

One of the documents submitted with the application states that if the development was not approved it would mean that the applicants, Certas, ‘will either have to find a different site’ or ‘will have to cease operating in the area’.

Cllr Terry Judkins said that the Port Authority wanted to ‘use Pembroke Dock as a dumping ground’ and added that he could not support it.

Cllr Maureen Colgan added that she was ‘totally against’ the application and said that the area should be kept for leisure and be developed as an area where people can sit and enjoy themselves.

The application is due to be decided by Pembrokeshire County Council at a later date.

Cllr Paul Dowson has already called in the application for it to be debated by the County Council’s Planning Committee.

In his request he states that it is too near habitation, it is within the Pembroke Dock conservation area and that children have been using the area near the bandstand as play area for over 20 years.

The area had also previously been the subject of an application for a marina and other leisure facilities but that investment was written off in 2017.

Continue Reading

News

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a witch hunt by the police, a jury has heard.

But at Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Apr 12), the Clare Wilks for the prosecution said that the defendant had “abused the trust of parents and staff” by sexually touching children in his care.

James Oulton, denies 30 charges of sexual assault against the eleven children who were aged eight or nine years old at the time.

The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

The jury heard how the pupils, now aged between 11 and 17, claimed he touched them sexually.

But the court was also told that Mr Oulton claimed he received cards at the end of term, and he believed letters sent by Pembrokeshire council to parents encouraged false complaints and collusion between pupils.

Oulton, 34, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, told the court he had behaved appropriately.

The jury heard how the alleged abuse occurred while Mr Oulton was working at a primary school in Haverfordwest.

Clare Wilks, prosecuting, said some of the children alleged that they had been assaulted on a daily basis, while others had had given statements to say it only happened the one time.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading
News15 hours ago

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the...

Entertainment22 hours ago

BAFTA winner Sir Anthony Hopkins visits St. Davids

CELEBRATING his BAFTA win, Sir Anthony Hopkins has been vaccinated and returned to his native country of Wales where he...

News1 day ago

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a...

News2 days ago

Kill the Bill protest to take place in Haverfordwest on Saturday

INDIVIDUALS and activists from local groups, including Extinction Rebellion Pembrokeshire, Stand Up to Racism West Wales, Pembrokeshire People’s Assembly and...

News2 days ago

Everything you need to know about the current coronavirus restrictions in Wales

THE GOVERNMENT guidelines in Wales are changing today (Apr 12). There are major changes coming into force today across the...

Health2 days ago

New Covid vaccine arrives first in West Wales

THE FIRST person in the UK to receive the Moderna vaccine against Covid-19 got their jab at 8:30 in the...

News2 days ago

Ten years in prison for Milford Haven taxi driver who raped passenger

ANTHONY MARCUS JONES, 43, a taxi driver from Hawthorn Path, Mount Estate, Milford Haven has been sentenced to ten years...

News3 days ago

Police: RNLI ‘most likely saved man’s life’ following tombstoning incident

POLICE have issued an urgent warning following a tombstoning incident Tenby on Saturday evening (Apr 10). A multi-agency operation was...

News4 days ago

Police plan to deter badly behaved youths from gathering in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby responded to community concerns over antisocial behaviour and groups of between 15-20 youths gathering and clashing over...

News5 days ago

Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99

The Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen’s ‘strength and stay’ for 73 years, has died aged 99. Prince Philip’s health had...

Popular This Week