News
Poo would have thought it: 60 of 68 toilets in Pembrokeshire survive the axe

SIXTY of Pembrokeshire’s 68 public toilets will be kept open despite fears many more of them were under threat of potential closure, senior councillors heard yesterday, December 4.
Due to financial constraints, the February meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet listed 34 of its 68 toilets at potential risk of closure if community asset transfers to town and community councils or other sources of funding weren’t agreed.
Since then, there has been good news for some of the closure-threatened toilets, with Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority agreeing to fund 10 coastal facilities for two years, and the county council funding Dale facilities from its car parking budget.
At Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet meeting of December 4, members – along with receiving an update on the situation – considered eight exception requests for toilets at risk of closure from town and community councils who feel they have been disproportionately financially affected.
Cabinet members backed a recommendation to continue to fund Tenby North Beach, with investigation of income-generating opportunities such as charging to use or linking to other sources of funding.
It is also backed Abereiddy’s toilets remaining open until March 31, 2025 while funding avenues are fully explored.
Cwm yr Eglwys has been given a June 30, 2024 date, with the facility at Pwllgwaelod to continue.
An April 8 closure date was backed for several other facilities if funding can’t be found: Carew, Moylegrove, Newgale South, and Nolton Haven (the latter both currently closed for the winter).
Conversations are ongoing for town and community councils to either fund, lease or asset transfer seven facilities, including Newport Parrog.
Facilities at Abercastle, Amroth East, Bryn Road St Davids, Creswell Quay, Kilgetty, and Neyland Marina will stay open until April 8, after which time they will be closed unless funding has been agreed.
An exception was made in the case of Newport Parrog, with an extension to September 30, due to complexities at this site.
A 50 per cent funding offer for Bosherston toilets for two seasons by the National Trust was refused, with an April 8 closure date on the cards.
Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett said positive progress had been made “in seeking to sustain a network across the county,” with “complex and delicate negotiations with stakeholders”.
Cllr Jon Harvey said he was proud of the work that had gone on, adding: “To get to a situation where we have saved so many through cooperation is extremely positive; 60 of 68 are effectively remaining open, an excellent, excellent result.”
He asked if further negotiations with the “rather wealthy charity” the National Trust could take place over Bosherston, with the possibility of the trust funding the toilets 100 per cent, with Cllr Sinnett agreeing to further discussions.
Cllr Neil Prior said the potential toilet closures were “a difficult decision driven by the funding crisis we’ve been facing,” adding: “Officers and members have worked incredibly hard to get us to this point, nobody wanted to close any toilets.”
Council leader Cllr David Simpson said: “It’s wonderful we’re saving 60 out of 68 toilets, a very reasonable and sensible solution in the end; we might be able wangle a few more to stay open.”
Legal avenues are being explored for two facilities with a view to close Burton and Oriel Y Parc St David’s, with facilities at Marloes village now closed as no alternative funder has come forward.
The decision on the Tenby toilets was welcomed by Mayor Cllr Dai Morgan and local county councillor Sam Skyrme-Blackhall after the meeting.
Tenby Town Council have agreed to fund costs of keeping the toilets open in Upper Frog St, which means that there will be no toilet closures in the town.
Cllr Morgan said: “This is good news for the town, and I am grateful that Pembrokeshire County Council Cabinet listened to our strong case.”
Cllr Skyrme-Blackhall praised the decision and thanked the cabinet for their support, adding “Sometimes things take time to sort out, but we have been working hard behind the scenes and I am delighted at the outcome.”
In the north of the county, Cllr Huw Murphy welcomed the news the Pwllgwaelod public toilets will remain open.
“Cwm yr Eglwys toilets (seasonal opening) remains a work in progress but will remain open until at least June 30 while efforts to secure funding to retain permanently are ongoing.”
Pictured: Mayor of Tenby Cllr Dai Morgan and County Councillor Sam Skyrme-Blackhall celebrate on hearing the news Tenby’s North Beach toilets will remain open. Picture: Cllr Skyrme-Blackhall (Image: Tenby Town Council)
Entertainment
Easter at Milford Waterfront: Family fun with chocolate trails, markets, and more

MILFORD WATERFRONT will be bursting with Easter fun this April as it hosts a variety of free, family-friendly activities to celebrate the season.
Over the weekend of Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 April, a spring-themed market will take place from 10:00am to 4:00pm, offering seasonal treats, crafts, and local produce. Children can also meet Rascal the Easter Bunny, who will be making a special walkabout appearance on Saturday (Apr 5) from midday until 2:30pm.
On Wednesday 16 April, families are invited to visit Milford Haven Museum to discover the town’s rich maritime history. Afterwards, youngsters can collect a free Easter trail map and set off on a chocolate-themed treasure hunt around the waterfront’s shops and attractions. Completed trails can be exchanged for a small Easter egg. More details are available at www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk.
Throughout the Easter season, visitors can indulge in seasonal delights from a range of independent businesses, including artisan chocolates at Trwffl and Dilly’s, or natural skincare gifts from Akamuti. The waterfront is also home to a selection of boutique clothing and gift shops—perfect for finding something special this spring.
Adventurous visitors can make the most of the season by getting out on the water, with Milford Beach Activity Centre offering stand-up paddleboarding and kayaking experiences. And for those looking to dine out, the waterfront’s many restaurants will be unveiling their new spring menus, featuring locally sourced seafood and family favourites with marina views.
Stay by the sea this Easter
Right at the heart of the action is Tŷ Hotel Milford Waterfront, which is offering a special Easter Escapes bed and breakfast deal. Guests can enjoy on-site family activities such as oversized board games, cinema screenings, and an Easter trail. Standard rooms for two start from £89 per night, with family rooms from £131 per night, including breakfast. Offer valid for stays between 4–27 April. Book at www.ty-hotels.com.
Health
Welsh public want NHS, cost of living and infrastructure prioritised

Report highlights top concerns and calls for long-term vision
THE WELSH public want the government to prioritise improvements to the NHS, tackle the cost of living, and invest in infrastructure, according to Deloitte’s latest State of the State report.
The 2025 report, published in partnership with the independent think tank Reform, reflects the views of both public sector leaders and the people who use public services.
For the third consecutive year, the state of the NHS and the cost of living were the most pressing concerns for people in Wales, with both issues cited by 75% of those surveyed. Social care for the elderly and vulnerable adults followed, mentioned by 48%.
Jobs and the economy (47%) and affordable housing (43%) were also high on the public’s list of priorities. One of the most notable increases was in concern about infrastructure—roads, railways and broadband—with 42% calling for improvements, a rise of six percentage points on last year.
When asked about the biggest drivers of future growth, respondents in Wales chose improving the nation’s health (45%), boosting education and skills (44%), and increased investment in infrastructure (39%).
Despite these priorities, most people were pessimistic about the outlook. Some 75% expected the NHS to stay the same or get worse, while 74% said the same about infrastructure.
Council chief executives interviewed for the report stressed that government infrastructure spending would be key to future growth. Other public sector leaders highlighted progress in Welsh transport, crediting a clear vision and strong partnership working for recent successes.
The biggest challenge facing public services, according to respondents, was a lack of funding, with 66% citing it as a concern. A further 55% expressed fears about a loss of trust in public services.
While trust in the Welsh Government remains higher than in the UK, Scottish or Northern Irish governments, the public remain sceptical about delivery. Some 63% said they had low trust in its ability to deliver major projects on time and on budget, while 61% doubted it could deliver outcomes people want.
On the question of taxation, Welsh public opinion was divided. Some 31% supported higher taxes and public spending, while 37% preferred lower taxes and reduced spending. Nearly half (47%) said they expected higher taxes and spending regardless of their preference.
Deloitte’s interviews with senior public sector leaders revealed ambitious long-term goals, including frictionless digital interaction with government services, improved collaboration between agencies, place-based planning for integrated transport and healthcare, and a shift toward long-term, commercially aware decision-making.
Dave Tansley, Deloitte’s senior partner for the South West and Wales, said: “The State of the State 2025 report shows the Welsh public remain concerned about the cost of living and the NHS. But our survey also found heightened interest in infrastructure, more so than in other parts of the UK, suggesting the public recognises the importance of connectivity to economic growth.”
He added: “Infrastructure investment supports jobs, housing, roads and rail—but more importantly, it provides the platform for long-term economic resilience. With public finances under pressure and the 2026 Senedd election approaching, the next administration faces difficult choices and the chance to deliver transformational change.”
Ian Howse, Deloitte’s senior partner for Wales, said: “Public sector leaders want bold reform—services that are joined-up, citizen-focused and tech-driven. While the Welsh Government is addressing immediate pressures, our research points to the need for a long-term vision. Leaders report growing urgency to deliver ahead of the next election, especially on economic growth, which is a positive sign for the future.”
Health
Campaign launched to reverse sharp fall in organ donation consent in Wales

Woman from Pembrokeshire in campaign to raise awareness
A NEW campaign has been launched to reverse a worrying decline in family consent rates for organ donation in Wales—now the lowest in the UK.
Just five years ago, Wales had the highest consent rate in Britain. Today, it lags behind all other UK nations, with a 56% consent rate—down from 77% in 2018/19—despite having pioneered a “presumed consent” law in 2015.
Under that system, unless individuals opt out via the NHS Organ Donor Register, they are presumed to have agreed to donate their organs after death. But transplant specialists say the law may have had an unintended consequence: fewer families are talking about donation.
“Many people think presumed consent means everything is sorted, so they don’t have the conversation,” said Bethan Moss, a specialist nurse in Wales. “But families are always asked to confirm, and if they’re unsure, they often say no.”
The new campaign—The Best Thing You’ll Do Today—encourages people to both sign the register and speak with their loved ones.
“It’s about peace of mind,” Moss added. “If families know what their relative wanted, they’re far more likely to agree.”
More than 1.3 million people in Wales have declared their willingness to donate organs since the register began in 1994. Over 10,000 patients in Wales have received life-saving transplants. But the lack of conversation is proving deadly.
Across the UK, consent rates are falling, but the drop in Wales is steepest. Current family consent rates are 60% in England, 61% in Scotland, and 66% in Northern Ireland.
“Talking is key,” said Joanna Chalker, a senior nurse with NHS Blood and Transplant who has worked in Wales for 16 years. “When someone has signed the register or told their family, the consent rate jumps to 90%. That can mean the difference between life and death.”
One of those lives saved was 35-year-old Pembrokeshire mum Jessica (pictured), who was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cholangitis—a rare liver condition—in 2016. After two false alarms, she finally received a successful transplant in 2022.
“I’d always been healthy, so the diagnosis was a shock,” she said. “But I was ready. Now I’m walking the kids to school again and loving life. Organ donation gave me everything back.”
Every day in the UK, someone dies waiting for a transplant. Right now, around 8,000 people—including over 200 children—are on the waiting list. A single donor can help up to nine people.
To register your decision or find out more, visit: www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-your-decision
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity6 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime7 days ago
Unlicensed dog breeders prosecuted in Carmarthenshire
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council