News
Haverfordwest Riverside project including new footbridge to proceed

AN EXTRAORDINARY meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet has approved the tender of improvements to Haverfordwest’s Riverside.
The plans include the controversial new footbridge to connect the town centre to Haverfordwest Castle.
Last week, the Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee called in the proposals at the behest of the Conservative Group and the IPG.
The Committee asked the Cabinet to provide further details about the cost of proceeding with the scheme and its potential financial impact on the Council’s revenue budget.
Deputy Leader Paul Miller chaired the meeting in Cllr David Simpson’s absence on annual leave. He immediately deferred to Darren Thomas, the Council’s Director of Transport and the Environment, to update the Cabinet with the information the Committee requested.
Mr Thomas confirmed the completion of the tender process and that the Walters Group would undertake the project on a fixed-price contract worth approximately £5.2m.
That sum includes considerable other works apart from the so-called “Instagrammable bridge”.
The contract’s scheduled completion date is March 31, 2025.
In 2021, Pembrokeshire County Council was awarded £17,700,266 from the UK Government’s Levelling Up Fund (LUF) to complete the Heart of Pembrokeshire project.
The Heart of Pembrokeshire Project is an extremely complex, multi-package project that will take place in and around Haverfordwest Castle, an ancient scheduled monument.
The grant awarded for the Signature Bridge element of the Heart of Pembrokeshire project is £5,119,383, and the Council must contribute 10% through match funding towards the project cost.
Based on the full grant awarded for the bridge element, the Council must contribute £568,820.
Mr Thomas explained to the Cabinet that there were structural issues with the existing footbridge crossing the Cleddau River as it flowed through Haverfordwest Town Centre.
Those issues were chronic, and the cost of maintaining the existing crossing – or even wholly replacing it without funding – was a drain on scarce resources that exceeded the Council’s contribution to the new bridge’s construction.
Darren Thomas reported the existing bridge’s limited lifespan made ongoing repairs uneconomic, while a like-for-like replacement would cost more than the contribution towards the new bridge’s construction. Repairing and protecting the existing bridge would mean its closure for an extended period for maintenance.
Cllr Alec Cormack, the Cabinet Member for Finance, said that if the investment did not represent value for money, he would not support it. He continued saying that as he supported the project, it followed that he thought it was good value for money.
Cllr Jon Harvey said that the regeneration of the County’s town centres should’ve taken place years ago. He commended the current administration’s commitment to ensuring that jobs left undone for too long were completed.
Cllr Rhys Sinnett echoed Cllr Harvey’s remarks, observing that town centres had declined and that regenerating them, encouraging increased footfall, and building fresh infrastructure was essential to help maintain them.
Paul Miller said that if the choices and projects were easy, the private sector would have undertaken the projects and completed them. In the absence of private investment, Cllr Miller said the Council had a choice between stepping back and doing nothing or acting decisively to arrest long-standing underinvestment in public spaces.
The Cabinet, he continued, had a clear strategic vision for Haverfordwest and was undertaking several projects to regenerate its town centre and others.
The Council won funding for regenerating Haverfordwest in competition and secured 90% funding from the UK Government to enable it to do so.
The Cabinet approved the tender unanimously, and Walters Group is expected to start work on the improvements soon.

Community
Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.
The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.
To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.
Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”
The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn