Crime
Rape survivor received letters from attacker in Parc Prison

A RAPE survivor has condemned HMP Parc in Bridgend, South Wales, for failing “to keep victims safe” after receiving multiple letters from her jailed attacker.
Rieve Nesbitt-Marr, 21, waived her right to anonymity to reveal that she had been sent seven letters from her rapist over a period of 10 months, despite pleading with authorities to intervene.
HMP Parc, already under scrutiny after 10 inmate deaths earlier this year, stated that it takes public protection “extremely seriously” and claimed efforts were made to halt the letters.
Ms Nesbitt-Marr had been seeing John Harding, 28, for only 12 days when he imprisoned and raped her in her Newport flat in July 2023. During the prolonged assault, Harding stood on her head and dragged her along the floor, telling her she was “not scared enough.”
She escaped the next morning, seeking refuge in a local Boots store where she reported the rape. Harding was arrested the same day and detained at HMP Parc pending trial.
Three weeks later, Ms Nesbitt-Marr received the first letter from Harding, sent via another inmate. In the letter, Harding expressed his desire to resume their relationship upon his release, making inappropriate references to her “naked skin.”
Diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following the attack, Ms Nesbitt-Marr said receiving the letter was like reliving the assault. Despite contacting Gwent Police and the prison, the letters continued.
In total, she received seven letters, both before and after Harding’s trial and conviction in December for multiple counts including rape and false imprisonment. Harding was sentenced to 15 years and given a restraining order, but the correspondence persisted.
Ms Nesbitt-Marr shared her ordeal on TikTok, gaining hundreds of thousands of views and messages from other women with similar experiences. However, the prison has yet to apologise or contact her, leaving her feeling “completely in the dark.”
Her father, Paul Nesbitt-Marr, who worked in prisons for 20 years, criticised HMP Parc, stating that preventing such letters is a “basic” duty. Despite assurances from the prison, the letters continued.

Speaking to the BBC, G4S, the company managing HMP Parc, acknowledged the issue and said it had taken “all appropriate steps,” including disciplining Harding and two other inmates. However, they admitted Harding used third parties to breach the restraining order.
Gwent Police confirmed they are investigating the letters.
Ellie Wilson, a campaigner and fellow rape survivor, praised Ms Nesbitt-Marr’s bravery and criticised the justice system for treating survivors as an “afterthought.” Wilson highlighted the need for better support and transparency for victims.
Sara Kirkpatrick of Welsh Women’s Aid confirmed that unwanted contact from offenders in prison is not uncommon. She urged victims to report such incidents to the police and prison authorities, as it constitutes a further offence.
Ms Nesbitt-Marr hopes her story will protect other victims and called for an apology from the prison. She emphasised that victims should not feel embarrassed and that the only person who should be ashamed is the perpetrator.
“I want women to know that this is nothing to be embarrassed about,” she said. “The only person that needs to be embarrassed is the person who violated you.”
Crime
Haverfordwest resident denies assault on partner during birthday break

A HAVERFORDWEST man has gone on trial accused of attacking his partner while on holiday in Pembrokeshire.
John Roberts, aged 51, of Barn Street, appeared at Swansea Crown Court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.
The incident is alleged to have taken place on August 24 last year at a shepherd’s hut in Rosemarket, where the couple were staying to celebrate the complainant’s birthday.
Roberts is accused of grabbing his partner by the hair and banging her head against a wall, before damaging a fireplace inside the property. He denies both charges.
Opening the case, prosecutor Emily Bennett told the jury that Roberts and the complainant had been in a relationship for twelve years and were enjoying a holiday following a family barbecue.
She said that shortly after midnight, Roberts’ “mood changed,” and he allegedly launched the attack.
The jury heard that the complainant managed to escape, locked herself in the bathroom and called the police. When she later emerged, Roberts had left the property — taking one of their dogs and the keys with him — and she noticed the fireplace had been damaged.
Roberts was arrested later that day. In police interview, he denied assaulting the woman or causing any damage, claiming she had “started on him” after accusing him of being unfaithful.
The trial, before Judge Wayne Beard, continues.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
-
News7 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime7 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime7 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime7 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News7 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News7 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn
-
News7 days ago
Plaid Cymru slam “jaw-dropping” remarks by First Minister on welfare cuts
-
Community7 days ago
Henry Tufnell MP demands urgent action on Cleddau river crisis