News
Questions continue over chairman’s appointment
AS REPORTED in last week’s Herald, the appointment of the new lay member of the Audit Committee, Peter Jones, has caused controversy over the way in which his job application was processed. There are also concerns that councillors sitting on the Urgency Committee were not allowed to scrutinise the appointment. They were prevented from doing so by the Council’s Monitoring Officer, Laurence Harding. Information provided to The Herald ahead of last Monday’s (Sept 22) extraordinary meeting of the Audit Committee reveals that Morgan Cole, the Cardiff law firm of which Mr Jones is a former senior partner, represented Hundleton councillor John Allen Mirehouse. Mr Jones represented Cllr Mirehouse when he was before a standards panel – investigating an alleged failure by him to declare an ‘interest’ in a planning matter involving land he owned on the Angle peninsula. Cllr Mirehouse sits on the Council’s Audit Committee – the committee which is now chaired by his former lawyer, Peter Jones. Mr Jones formerly represented Milford Haven Port Authority at the time Cllr Allen Mirehouse sat on the Authority. Cllr Guy Woodham proposed Mr Jones as Chair of the Audit Committee. The Pembrokeshire Herald asked him whether he was aware of the past professional relationship between Cllr Mirehouse and Mr Jones. Cllr Woodham told us: “No, I was most definitely not aware! I nominated Mr Jones as Chair believing that, as the Lay Member, he was the most appropriate member of the Committee to hold this position, rather than an Elected Member. I was not involved in the selection process of the Lay Member and therefore have not been made aware of any background information on Mr Jones, other than he told us about at Monday’s Audit Committee.” The Herald also spoke to Cllr Paul Miller about the appointment of Mr Jones: “This situation further underlines the issue that I raised about the conduct of the meeting that ‘rubberstamped’ Mr Jones’ appointment. We were not allowed to have any meaningful information before voting on his appointment. It seems as though this is a further example of elected councillors being denied the chance to make properly judged democratic decisions. It seemed to me that most everyone present agreed with me when I expressed that view at the Urgency Committee, but four voted in favour of the appointment anyway.” The Herald notes that Mr Jones told members of the Audit Committee that he had dealings with the Council in the past. It is not clear whether those dealings or their extent were made known to the Urgency Committee when they were presented with the appointment panel’s recommendation, or even if the appointment panel were made aware of them. The Herald asked the Council’s Monitoring Officer, Laurence Harding, on whose advice the Urgency Panel rubber-stamped Mr Jones’ appointment, for a comment on Mr Jones’ appointment. Mr Harding failed to reply.
Mr Mirehouse’s interest
PETER JONES was intimately concerned in Cllr Allen Mirehouse’s defence of a claim he had failed to declare an interest in land when he decided policy that might affect it when sitting on the National Park Authority. Mr Jones billed the former IPPG Chair over £5,360 from a total bill including QC’s fees of around £40,000. The bill included meeting with Viscount Saint Davids, Mr Allen Mirehouse, and his land agent Anthony Owen of Owen & Owen. Following the conclusion of the case, in which the Adjudication Panel for Wales found in his favour, Cllr Allen-Mirehouse sought to have the National Park Authority repay him the whole of Morgan Cole’s bill and claimed the Authority was obliged to indemnify him wholly for the same. Cllr Allen Mirehouse’s claim for his costs rather ignored the belated admission made by his QC, Robin Tolson, that his client did own land which “was capable of being developed when he participated in the relevant meetings of the National Park Authority”. Cllr Allen Mirehouse had previously maintained the opposite position and significant costs had been spent examining that denial. However, Cllr Allen Mirehouse’s submissions largely fell on deaf ears with the National Park Authority’s Monitoring Officers, Dewi Davies and John Parsons, who disputed liability to pay any of the legal costs on the basis that the Councillor had incurred excessive costs (including an eye-watering 24 hours of billable time at £200 an hour for travelling to a meeting at Angle Hall when Cllr Allen Mirehouse could have travelled to Cardiff); that he had not sought permission from the Authority to incur the costs before he did; and that he had engaged a QC at significant cost when such a level of representation was not required. In response to that last point, Cllr Allen-Mirehouse opined in correspondence that he was entitled to brief a QC because of his prominent position in public life. That plea fell on deaf years, and the Councillor received £8,000 plus VAT towards his professional fees following a vote.
THE HERALD asked
the County Council a series
of questions about Mr Jones’
appointment as lay member of the
Audit Committee and received the
following answers.
Q: How many had applied before
the original deadline and how
many additional applicants were
received before the extended
deadline? Please confirm at
which point in the selection
process Mr Jones applied.
A: Four applications were received
before the deadline of July 8
but one withdrew. One further
application (from Mr Jones)
was received before the end of
the extended deadline of July 18
(note the deadline was actually
extended by ten days not one
week).
Q: Please let me know who made the
decision to extend the deadline
and why a week was felt to be an
adequate period.
A: Deadline extended by ten days by
Chief Finance Officer because
he desired at least three suitable
candidates for the Appointments
Panel to consider.
Q: Please let me know where the
advertisement for the revised
deadline for applications
was placed. As the original
advertisement was by public
notice, was this also done by
public notice? If so, in which
publication or via which medium
or media was it disseminated?
A: Extended ten day deadline was
advertised on Council website.
Q: Please let me know the identity of
the persons who sat on the panel
that considered applications.
A: The Appointment Panel
comprised: Mrs Lynette George
(independent Chair); Cllr Tom
Richards; Cllr Stan Hudson (all
County Council appointed).
Q: Please let me know whether
the panel were made aware of
Mr Jones’ past professional
relationship with Cllr John
Allen-Mirehouse.
A: We are not aware of any
professional relationship
between the two parties
Local Government
First Minister left red-faced as Labour candidate pulls out during Hakin campaign visit
Candidate says withdrawal follows ‘abuse’ towards candidate’s son and backlash over Withybush Hospital downgrade plan
THE FIRST MINISTER was left in the embarrassing position of arriving to campaign in the Hakin ward without an active candidate. Labour’s by-election hopeful withdrew from the race on the same day as a high-profile visit to support her campaign.
The visit had been organised to support Labour candidate Nicola Harteveld, but she failed to appear, leaving party activists canvassing in the ward without her and apparently unaware she was about to pull out of the contest.
Harteveld later confirmed she had been considering her position before announcing her withdrawal shortly afterwards.
The former Labour candidate confirmed she was stepping back from the Pembrokeshire County Council by-election following verbal abuse directed towards her youngest son, bringing an abrupt end to the party’s campaign after nominations had already closed.
The development meant Welsh Labour could not field a replacement candidate, leaving the party effectively without representation in the contest despite a scheduled campaign visit by First Minister Eluned Morgan MS and party activists.

‘Abuse’ towards child
In a video statement released on social media, Harteveld said the decision followed an incident in which her son was allegedly shouted at by two men while walking home from volunteering.
“My youngest was walking home… and two men on the opposite side of the road shouted across ‘tell your mother she’s a Labour loving c***’,” she said.
She said her son was “absolutely devastated” by the incident.
“My family comes first. I am not prepared to put them in the line of fire to be targeted because of something that I’m doing,” she added.
Final decision
Harteveld, who currently serves as a town councillor, said she had spent several days reflecting on whether continuing in the election was compatible with her personal values before the incident involving her son became “the final straw”.
“My morals, my views and my values will not allow me to take this by-election any further,” she said.
She explained that she had wanted to stand in order to take residents’ concerns directly to County Hall, rather than relying on others to represent them, and believed standing as a Labour candidate would have allowed her to raise issues more directly with decision-makers.
First Minister visit confusion
Earlier the same day, First Minister Eluned Morgan MS and Labour activists were canvassing in the Hakin ward in support of Harteveld, apparently unaware she was considering withdrawing from the race.
Campaign photographs were later shared on social media showing the First Minister and party members canvassing locally. However, observers quickly noticed the absence of the candidate herself, prompting repeated questions online about her whereabouts.
Multiple commenters asked “Where is the candidate?” beneath the post, with the situation attracting significant criticism from some social media users.
Shortly afterwards, Harteveld confirmed she was withdrawing from the election.
A post by the First Minister praising what she described as a “great response in Hakin for Nicola Harteveld & Welsh Labour” while also addressing concerns about Withybush Hospital services was later deleted after attracting a large number of comments, many of them critical of Labour and Welsh Government health policies.

Healthcare tensions backdrop
The by-election campaign has taken place against the backdrop of continuing anger across Pembrokeshire over decisions affecting Withybush Hospital, which Harteveld acknowledged had “rocked our community”.
She described personal experiences of travelling long distances for medical appointments with her partner, saying such situations contributed to frustration among residents.
The hospital controversy has become a dominant political issue locally, with strong emotions expressed during campaigning and on social media.
Political impact
Because Harteveld withdrew after the legal deadline for nominations closed, Welsh Labour cannot substitute another candidate. Her name may still appear on ballot papers depending on printing arrangements, although she is no longer campaigning.
The sequence of events left Labour campaigning in the ward without an active candidate and represents a significant setback for the party locally, particularly given the personal involvement of the First Minister in the visit.
Election background
The by-election, scheduled for Tuesday, March 17, was called following the death of Independent councillor Mike Stoddart, who had represented the Hakin ward for many years.
The remaining candidates are:
Derrick Abbott (Independent)
Sam Booth (Wales Green Party)
Lee James Bridges (Independent)
Duncan Edwards (Independent)
Brian Taylor (Welsh Conservative)
Scott Thorley (Reform UK)
Sam Warden (Welsh Liberal Democrats)
Business
Farmers cautious but resilient as costs remain high across Wales
Major supplier says confidence lower despite signs of stability returning
FARMERS across Wales are facing another difficult year as input costs remain significantly higher than before the pandemic, according to new industry insight from agricultural supplier Wynnstay Group.
The company, which has deep roots in rural Wales and generates around sixty per cent of its retail revenue in the country, says confidence among farmers is lower than this time last year, with rising costs, policy uncertainty and tightening margins influencing spending decisions.
However, there are also signs of resilience, with many producers focusing on efficiency and forward planning to cope with ongoing pressures.

Wales at heart of business
Wynnstay, originally founded by tenant farmers in Mid Wales in 1918, has grown into a major UK agricultural supplier serving more than 20,000 farming customers through manufacturing sites, stores and on-farm services. The group employs hundreds of staff across the UK and operates a nationwide distribution network supporting livestock and arable producers.
The company says Welsh farming businesses continue to play a central role in its commercial performance and long-term growth strategy.
Cautious investment decisions
According to Wynnstay, farmers are delaying some investment decisions but are increasingly seeking value-driven solutions that improve productivity.
Feed volumes have increased across the company’s Welsh store network over the past year, reflecting demand for blended feeds that offer greater flexibility and cost control. Rather than reducing purchases outright, many farmers are matching spending more closely to performance and output.
Fertiliser demand has also been strong, with sales ahead of last year, although some farmers have delayed buying in the hope prices may fall. Global supply pressures and rising gas costs mean prices are expected to remain firm into the busy spring season.

Costs still far above pre-Covid levels
Industry data shows overall farm input costs remain significantly higher than before 2020, with feed, fertiliser, fuel, electricity and machinery all continuing to put pressure on farm margins.
While some costs have eased from their peaks, they have not returned to previous levels, influencing buying behaviour across the sector.
Margins for livestock and dairy farms were strong last year, but Wynnstay says they are now tightening, particularly in the dairy sector where milk prices have fallen and volatility remains high.

Pressure on family farms
Smaller family-run farms are under greater strain than larger commercial operations, with less financial resilience to absorb rapid market changes. Reports of rising closures among family farms, particularly in dairy, reinforce concerns about the sector’s long-term sustainability.
Government policy changes are also contributing to uncertainty. The transition away from the Basic Payment Scheme and wider tax reforms have led many farmers to postpone larger investments until there is clearer long-term stability.

Local reaction
Pembrokeshire farmer Chris James said the situation reflected what many farmers were experiencing locally.
“We’ve definitely noticed the squeeze over the past year or two,” he said. “Costs for feed, fertiliser and fuel are still much higher than they used to be, and that makes you think twice about every decision. Most farmers I know aren’t cutting back on production — they’re just trying to be more efficient and careful with spending.”
He added: “People want to invest and move forward, but it’s hard when you don’t know exactly what the long-term policy picture will look like.”
NFU Cymru has also warned that rising costs and policy uncertainty continue to weigh heavily on farm businesses across Wales, with confidence affected by concerns over future support schemes and wider economic challenges. The union has called for greater long-term certainty to allow farmers to invest with confidence and maintain domestic food production.

Weather shocks impact behaviour
Extreme weather during 2025 — including a very dry spring followed by periods of intense heat and a challenging wet autumn — also affected purchasing patterns, with farmers spacing orders and prioritising essential inputs as conditions changed.
Ordering behaviour is now returning to more normal patterns as conditions stabilise.
Outlook for 2026
Despite ongoing pressures, Wynnstay says it is cautiously optimistic about the year ahead.
Many farmers are making careful decisions around efficiency, nutrition and planning, and the company believes there are opportunities for businesses to strengthen their position through 2026 with good cost control and smart investment.
Summing up the sector, the company said Welsh agriculture remains resilient, with farmers showing determination and adaptability despite continuing challenges.
Community
Community meeting planned to secure future of historic Boncath building
Residents invited to support bid to buy former WI meeting room for community use
A PUBLIC meeting has been called in Boncath as residents prepare plans for a community buy-out of a historic corrugated iron building that has served local people for generations.
Villagers will gather at Boncath Village Hall on Tuesday (Feb 24) at 7:00pm to discuss proposals to purchase Bwthyn Boncath — the former Women’s Institute meeting room — and transform it into a community heritage space for the village.

WI members support community purchase
Local WI members have already agreed to offer the community first refusal on the building, paving the way for a potential community-led purchase.
Supporters say the project would preserve an important piece of local heritage while creating a flexible space for events, exhibitions, and activities in the heart of the village.
PLANED helping lead initiative
The meeting will be led by Cris Tomos of PLANED, the community development charity that previously helped facilitate the community purchase of Tafarn Sinc in Rosebush in 2017.
Mr Tomos said the Boncath project could become another example of successful community ownership in North Pembrokeshire.
He said: “It would be great to have another corrugated building owned by the community in North Pembrokeshire — especially in 2026 as Tafarn Sinc celebrates its 150th anniversary.”
Organisers estimate that around £12,000 will be needed to secure the purchase, with further fundraising planned to support restoration and future use.

How to get involved
Anyone interested in supporting the project or learning more is encouraged to attend the public meeting.
Further information is available via the Bwthyn Boncath Facebook page or by contacting PLANED on 01834 860965.

Photo caption: Community members gather to support plans for the purchase of Bwthyn Boncath (Pics supplied).
-
Health3 days agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health3 days agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health2 days agoConcerns grow over Bronglais stroke plans as politicians demand clarity
-
Health3 days agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business5 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community6 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Business6 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
Crime6 days agoMan who attacked woman outside Milford Haven bar ‘shows no remorse whatsoever’









ieuan
November 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm
this is proof that Jamie Adams and co are unfit for purpose, and Lawrence Harding should resign NOW!
Also here is a example of it’s who you know not what you know where jobs are concerned!
rent private jet
January 3, 2026 at 4:18 am
Thanks for the comprehensive overview. Very helpful!