News
Sale of refinery is close to collapse
ONLY one bidder remains as a possible buyer for Murphy Oil’s 130,000 barrels-per-day Milford Haven refinery, but the process is close to collapse, a source familiar with the matter said on Sunday.
The refinery, operated by U.S. oil and gas company Murphy Oil subsidiary Murco, is the latest British plant to face closure as the industry battles lower demand and increased competition from new, modern refineries in the Middle East and Asia.
Officials at Murphy Oil were not immediately available for comment. The source told the Herald a last bidder was still in the running to buy the plant as a going concern although the bid was seen as having little chance of success.
Many analysts believe the plant is likely to be turned into a storage terminal.
The refinery has been up for sale for three years, but Murphy Oil has failed to find a buyer for the plant, which employs nearly 400 in West Wales.
It is believed that at least two companies were offered the plant for free, plus a dowry worth tens of millions of pounds.
Fears that the refinery could close follow the battle to save the Grangemouth refinery complex, on the Firth of Forth, Scotland.
A spokesman for the Welsh government said: We maintain regular contact with Murco and will continue to communicate with them about their operation in Wales.
Pembrokeshire councillor John Allen-Mirehouse, former cabinet member for regeneration and economic development on Pembrokeshire County Council said: This is a turbulent time for oil refining and the industry in Pembrokeshire is not exempt from these pressures.
I would be horrified if the refinery closed. The jobs there are very skilled, well paid and very important to the community.
The Milford Haven refinery can process up to five million tonnes of crude oil per year. Murco bought 30% of the then Amoco refinery in 1981 and acquired the remaining 70% in December 2007.
It was first reported that the Milford Haven site was threatened last year when Murphy chief executive David Wood said that in the absence of an offer the company was evaluating the potential conversion of the facility into a storage terminal.
Since then, the plants economic performance has slipped further as oil margins in the UK have come under pressure.
In its preliminary results, published on October 30 this year, Murphy Oil planed weaker margins at the Milford Haven refinery for a loss of $22.7m (£14.23m) in its UK refining and marketing operations.
Production at the plant has fallen slightly in the last year to average 126,303 barrels a day over the last month, down from 132,282 barrels a day for the same period the previous year.
The Murco plant is one of two oil refineries in West Wales alongside the Valero plant at Pembroke which was sold by former owner Chevron in August 2011.
The possibility of a shutdown at the Milford Haven refinery is likely to cause fresh concern in Whitehall and with the Welsh Government.
The Scottish Government was quick to meet union leaders and management at Grangemouth, eventually averting the threat of closure.
Murco could not be contacted for comment.
Experts say that the refining industry, which was built up decades ago to convert North Sea crude into petrol and diesel, is struggling as domestic oil production falls and facilities age.
The number of refineries has dwindled from 18 to seven.
Milford Haven is the only refinery left in Murphy Oils empire after the company sold a pair of American sites.
The industry has also been weakened by the rise of diesel-powered cars as many refineries, including Murcos, mostly produce petrol.
In terms of size and complexity, the most marginal refinery Britain is Milford Haven because of its small capacity.
Charity
Long service awards for Tenby surf lifesavers
Three volunteers recognised for years of dedication to keeping beachgoers safe
THREE long-serving members of Tenby Surf Life Saving Club have been recognised for their commitment and dedication, receiving Long Service Awards at the charity’s recent presentation evening.
Jules Rilston, Angelo Fecci and Ian Badham were each honoured for their sustained contributions to surf lifesaving in Tenby over many years of voluntary service.
Club chairman Tai Jackson thanked the trio for their commitment to the club and the wider lifesaving movement on behalf of the committee and members.
Tenby Surf Life Saving Club is a volunteer-led, not-for-profit registered charity and one of 31 volunteer lifeguard clubs across Wales. During 2025, its lifesavers delivered 188 hours of volunteer patrols and assisted 113 people along the coastline.
The club also runs a youth education programme, known as Nippers and Junior Lifesaving, which provided more than 104 hours of training to 60 local children last year. Young participants are taught vital water safety skills, first aid knowledge and how to enjoy water sports safely and sustainably.
The club is currently recruiting new volunteers to support both frontline lifesaving activities and essential behind-the-scenes roles, including committee positions and fundraising support.
Local Government
Search begins for five bodies possibly buried beneath County Hall car park
A SEARCH is underway to determine whether the remains of five executed prisoners from the nineteenth century may still lie beneath a council-owned car park in Carmarthen.
A deep-ground scan was carried out at the Carmarthenshire County Hall site on Sunday (Feb 15), where the former Carmarthen prison once stood. The investigation is focusing on the possible burial locations of four convicted murderers and one convicted forger who were executed between 1818 and 1894, when prison gardens occupied the land now used for parking.
The survey was conducted using a digital ground-penetrating radar system operated by Shane Gwilt of Leica Geosystems. The findings have been sent overseas for specialist analysis, with results expected within the next week.
County Hall stands on the historic site of Carmarthen Gaol, which closed in 1922. Although the prison buildings were demolished in the 1930s, local historian and former Mayor of Carmarthen, Richard Goodridge, believes the bodies were never exhumed and may remain in their original graves.
Carmarthenshire County Council has confirmed it has no intention of disturbing or removing any remains should they be identified.

Richard Goodridge said: “I strongly believe, based on the evidence and research I have carried out over the last two years, that the remains of these five convicted felons, hanged for their crimes, still remain where they were buried after their execution.
“It is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle that, if confirmed, will lay to rest a great mystery that has fascinated Carmarthen residents for over a hundred years. It is unbelievable that the bodies were not exhumed when the prison was demolished.
“Finding them will at least bring to an end a mystery worthy of a Sherlock Holmes novel.”
Carmarthenshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Resources, Cllr Alun Lenny, said the investigation had been carried out without disruption or cost to the authority.
He said: “The work carried out on Sunday in an attempt to discover the remains of the five executed criminals didn’t disturb the car park surface in any way and was at no cost to the county council. But it may add another chapter to the colourful history of Carmarthen as Wales’ oldest town, so we await the results with anticipation.”
Community
Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.
Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.
The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”
A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.
“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”
Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.
Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.
Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.
“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”
Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.
“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”
As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.
“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”
Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.
“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”
Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community1 day agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold







