Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Welsh Government ministers urged to condemn Trump’s Gaza plan

Published

on

PLAID CYMRU has called for the Welsh and UK Governments to condemn US president Donald Trump’s proposals to depopulate Gaza.

Rhun ap Iorwerth led a debate in the Senedd 469 days on from the Welsh Parliament becoming one of the first in the world to pass a vote endorsing a ceasefire.

Plaid Cymru’s leader said the scale of destruction in Gaza since is beyond comprehension, arguing Wales cannot, and must not, remain silent in the face of profound injustice.

He warned: “Now we see a dangerous escalation, an outright attack on international justice itself. The president has made it clear he will sanction the International Criminal Court if it dares to investigate Israeli war crimes. This is a direct assault on the rule of law.”

In a vote on February 19, the Senedd reaffirmed its support for a permanent ceasefire, full humanitarian access, the return of hostages and prisoners, and a two-state solution.

Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth during the debate

Mr ap Iorwerth described Trump’s call for the forced displacement of Gaza’s entire population as not just deeply offensive but akin to ethnic cleansing.

He said: “He has proposed that once the fighting stops, Gaza should be owned by the US, with its 2.3 million residents forcibly relocated to Jordan, to Egypt, and the land redeveloped into a luxury destination: the ‘riviera of the middle east’ as it was dubbed. 

“He speaks of resettling people as if they’re not human beings – as if they have no right to their own land, their own history, their own future.”

Plaid Cymru’s motion urged the UK Government to suspend all arms exports to Israel and called on Welsh ministers to review public sector procurement.

Conservative Paul Davies condemned the devastating loss of human life in the conflict, calling for the release of hostages, a permanent ceasefire and a two-state solution.

He raised concerns about “soaring” levels of hate crime against Jewish and Muslim people in the UK since the beginning of the Israel-Hamas conflict.

Mr Davies told the Senedd: “We’ve also seen the release of Eli Sharabi, the son in law of Peter and Gillian Brisley of Bridgend.

“On his release, Eli was gaunt and malnourished; he had no knowledge of the fate of his wife, Lianne, and their two teenage daughters, all of whom were brutally murdered by Hamas on October 7. Imagine his pain on learning that news.”

Plaid Cymru’s Sioned Williams criticised the Welsh Government’s amendments, accusing Labour of putting “party before international humanitarian law”.

She said: “You cannot support the rule of law if you’re not willing to condemn Trump’s proposals to depopulate Gaza as ethnic cleansing.”

Ms Williams urged ministers to commit to further humanitarian support for Gaza on top of a total of £200,000 donated to the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) appeal so far.

Her colleague Peredur Owen Griffiths criticised President Trump’s “frankly disgusting” proposal for the future of Gaza.

He said: “We must demand the Welsh Government makes clear its opposition to those dangerous proposals and continues to stand for justice, human rights and self-determination – Gaza belongs to its people, it is not for sale.”

Labour’s John Griffiths told the Senedd: “None of us should be bystanders. I think we do now need an international campaign of boycotts, disinvestment and sanctions.”

Mike Hedges, a fellow Labour backbencher, backed an anti-apartheid-style boycott and called for the Senedd to fly the Palestinian flag in Cardiff Bay.

Jane Hutt

Jane Hutt, for the Welsh Government, said: “Whilst foreign policy issues are not devolved, there are real and lasting concerns and consequences for and in Welsh communities.”

She supported calls to reaffirm the Senedd’s condemnation of Hamas attacks on October 7 2023 and Israel’s military response, which has led to an estimated 60,000 deaths.

The social justice secretary also backed the motion’s calls around ethical procurement.

She said: “I will be meeting DEC Cymru but also other humanitarian organisations, including Oxfam, in the coming weeks to explore how we can commit further humanitarian support.”

Senedd members voted 39-11 against the motion. The Welsh Government’s amendments, which deleted calls to condemn Trump and limit arms exports to Israel, were agreed.

 

Business

New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed

Published

on

A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.

In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.

A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”

It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”

It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.

It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.

“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”

It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”

The application was conditionally approved by planners.

 

Continue Reading

News

Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks

Published

on

A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.

Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.

However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.

The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.

Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.

Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.

She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.

“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.

Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.

 

Continue Reading

News

Welsh Conservatives demand clarity over EHRC guidance in schools

Published

on

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have called on the Welsh Government to clarify whether new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance will be implemented in schools across Wales.

Shadow education minister Sam Rowlands MS has written to Cabinet Minister for Education and the Welsh Language Anna Brychan MS following the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Equality Act.

Mr Rowlands said schools, teachers, governors and parents needed clear answers on how the guidance would apply in practice, including on single-sex spaces, safeguarding, changing facilities and sports participation.

He said: “Parents, teachers and pupils deserve clarity from the Welsh Government.

“Schools cannot be left in limbo while ministers avoid making a decision on such an important safeguarding and legal issue.

“The Equality Act applies in Wales, and schools now need clear guidance on what this means in practice.”

In his letter, Mr Rowlands asks whether updated guidance will be issued to schools in Wales, whether schools will be expected to amend existing policies, and what advice will be given to headteachers on safeguarding and compliance with the Equality Act.

He also asks whether the Welsh Government intends to diverge from the approach set out by the EHRC.

The letter says schools and parents require “clear and consistent guidance” to ensure the rights, dignity and safety of all pupils are respected.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government2 days ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community2 days ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime2 days ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community2 days ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government3 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community4 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime4 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News4 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News4 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg5 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week