Health
Cardigan mayor joins calls to save weekend urgent care

PLANS to end weekend urgent care provision at Cardigan’s Integrated Care Centre have sparked a backlash, with local leaders and residents warning of serious consequences for patients across the region.
Mayor of Cardigan, Cllr Olwen Davies, has joined those calling for the weekend service to be saved, describing its withdrawal as “deeply disappointing.”

“It’s a huge blow,” she said. “This service has proved vital not just for the town but for the wider area. With the Easter holidays upon us, it’s unthinkable that we’re losing such a key facility.”
The Welsh Government-funded weekend service was launched in January as part of a 50-day pilot aimed at relieving pressure on Bronglais and Glangwili Hospitals, both of which are struggling with some of the worst emergency department waiting times in the country.
But the funding ends this Sunday (March 30), and no extension has been confirmed—despite a surge of public support for keeping the centre open on Saturdays and Sundays. An online petition had attracted almost 1,500 signatures by Wednesday lunchtime.
Hywel Dda University Health Board confirmed the end of the pilot in a statement this week.
“From April, the urgent care centre will continue operating Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 6:00pm,” a spokesperson said. “Patients can walk in or call 01239 803075 to speak to a triage nurse before attending.”
The board said the weekend service had been well used, with 845 patients seen across the first seven weekends. Roughly three-quarters of those patients would otherwise have attended A&E.
In addition, the pilot supported a ‘Digital Ward’ approach, allowing 63 patients to be treated remotely over the past two months—something the board described as an example of “innovative care close to home.”
A formal evaluation of the weekend provision will take place following the conclusion of the full trial period.
Ceredigion MS Elin Jones also called for an urgent rethink.
“I strongly support the continuation of weekend services in Cardigan,” she said. “They’ve clearly helped reduce unnecessary A&E visits, and we need to build on that—not go backwards.”
Health
Senedd criticises ‘unacceptable’ delays on infected blood compensation

SENEDD Members urged the UK Government to speed up compensation payments to people infected and affected by the contaminated blood scandal.
Labour’s Julie Morgan, who has campaigned on the issue for three decades, pointed out that nearly a year has passed since Sir Brian Langstaff published his damning final inquiry report.
More than 30,000 people in the UK were infected with HIV and hepatitis C after receiving contaminated blood products in the 1970s and 1980s.
Ms Morgan welcomed £11.8bn set aside by the UK Government but warned of “completely unacceptable” delays in issuing compensation to victims.
She told the Senedd: “But I can’t support the way in which the setting up of the compensation framework, and the Infected Blood Compensation Authority, has caused significant delays, and the delays in registering for the affected.”
Ms Morgan said two people die every week while awaiting compensation and 25 infected or affected people known to Haemophilia Wales have died since the inquiry began.
The former minister warned: “I’ve been told that the compensation tariffs are so complex that it’s extremely difficult to gauge who will be eligible. However, Haemophilia Wales estimates that there’ll be around 300 infected and affected entitled to compensation in Wales.”
She added: “I’ve also heard there have been rejections of transfusion estate applications due to the destruction of medical records held at the University Hospital of Wales.”
Stressing the practical impact of delays, she explained that if an affected person, such as a widow, dies the claim to compensation dies with them unlike with an infected person.
Ms Morgan said those infected and affected, some of whom gathered on the Senedd’s steps before the debate, have been fighting for justice for 40 years.
During topical questions on April 2, she told the debating chamber: “I think it’s up to us in this Senedd to do all we possibly can to urge the UK Government, and say, ‘Look, just get on with it, it’s just been far too long.’ This has been going on for years and years.”
James Evans, the Conservatives’ shadow health secretary, added his voice to a chorus of calls to increase the pace of compensation payments.
As did his Plaid Cymru counterpart Mabon ap Gwynfor who said: “Some patients’ families who have been in contact with me believe that the matter is being dragged out and that it’s intentional on the part of the government … to avoid paying out the compensation.”
Labour’s Hefin David, who represents Caerphilly, similarly raised the case of a constituent, echoing concerns the compensation scheme may unfairly discriminate against spouses and partners.
Rhun ap Iorwerth, who chairs the Senedd cross-party group on haemophilia and infected blood, urged Welsh ministers to press the case for compensation.
The Plaid Cymru leader quoted a constituent: “The government line is to meet its legal responsibilities as slowly as possible, in the hope we will all die soon and stop bothering them. We feel we are again being bullied by those in power, adding insult to severe injury.
“The situation cannot go on. The 4,000 or so infected victims must be compensated immediately so they can put the past behind them and enjoy the time they have left.”
Jeremy Miles, who was appointed Wales’ health secretary in September, said officials continue to press the UK Government on the need for timely compensation payments.

Mr Miles explained that the Infected Blood Compensation Authority is recruiting hundreds of claim managers who will prioritise claims for those nearing the end of their life.
Urged to make people’s frustration and anger known, he said: “The strength of feeling in the chamber is clear … it’s important to have a set of arrangements that can command confidence, so I’d be very happy to put the points to the UK Government in those terms.”
Health
Welsh public want NHS, cost of living and infrastructure prioritised

Report highlights top concerns and calls for long-term vision
THE WELSH public want the government to prioritise improvements to the NHS, tackle the cost of living, and invest in infrastructure, according to Deloitte’s latest State of the State report.
The 2025 report, published in partnership with the independent think tank Reform, reflects the views of both public sector leaders and the people who use public services.
For the third consecutive year, the state of the NHS and the cost of living were the most pressing concerns for people in Wales, with both issues cited by 75% of those surveyed. Social care for the elderly and vulnerable adults followed, mentioned by 48%.
Jobs and the economy (47%) and affordable housing (43%) were also high on the public’s list of priorities. One of the most notable increases was in concern about infrastructure—roads, railways and broadband—with 42% calling for improvements, a rise of six percentage points on last year.
When asked about the biggest drivers of future growth, respondents in Wales chose improving the nation’s health (45%), boosting education and skills (44%), and increased investment in infrastructure (39%).
Despite these priorities, most people were pessimistic about the outlook. Some 75% expected the NHS to stay the same or get worse, while 74% said the same about infrastructure.
Council chief executives interviewed for the report stressed that government infrastructure spending would be key to future growth. Other public sector leaders highlighted progress in Welsh transport, crediting a clear vision and strong partnership working for recent successes.
The biggest challenge facing public services, according to respondents, was a lack of funding, with 66% citing it as a concern. A further 55% expressed fears about a loss of trust in public services.
While trust in the Welsh Government remains higher than in the UK, Scottish or Northern Irish governments, the public remain sceptical about delivery. Some 63% said they had low trust in its ability to deliver major projects on time and on budget, while 61% doubted it could deliver outcomes people want.
On the question of taxation, Welsh public opinion was divided. Some 31% supported higher taxes and public spending, while 37% preferred lower taxes and reduced spending. Nearly half (47%) said they expected higher taxes and spending regardless of their preference.
Deloitte’s interviews with senior public sector leaders revealed ambitious long-term goals, including frictionless digital interaction with government services, improved collaboration between agencies, place-based planning for integrated transport and healthcare, and a shift toward long-term, commercially aware decision-making.
Dave Tansley, Deloitte’s senior partner for the South West and Wales, said: “The State of the State 2025 report shows the Welsh public remain concerned about the cost of living and the NHS. But our survey also found heightened interest in infrastructure, more so than in other parts of the UK, suggesting the public recognises the importance of connectivity to economic growth.”
He added: “Infrastructure investment supports jobs, housing, roads and rail—but more importantly, it provides the platform for long-term economic resilience. With public finances under pressure and the 2026 Senedd election approaching, the next administration faces difficult choices and the chance to deliver transformational change.”
Ian Howse, Deloitte’s senior partner for Wales, said: “Public sector leaders want bold reform—services that are joined-up, citizen-focused and tech-driven. While the Welsh Government is addressing immediate pressures, our research points to the need for a long-term vision. Leaders report growing urgency to deliver ahead of the next election, especially on economic growth, which is a positive sign for the future.”
Health
Campaign launched to reverse sharp fall in organ donation consent in Wales

Woman from Pembrokeshire in campaign to raise awareness
A NEW campaign has been launched to reverse a worrying decline in family consent rates for organ donation in Wales—now the lowest in the UK.
Just five years ago, Wales had the highest consent rate in Britain. Today, it lags behind all other UK nations, with a 56% consent rate—down from 77% in 2018/19—despite having pioneered a “presumed consent” law in 2015.
Under that system, unless individuals opt out via the NHS Organ Donor Register, they are presumed to have agreed to donate their organs after death. But transplant specialists say the law may have had an unintended consequence: fewer families are talking about donation.
“Many people think presumed consent means everything is sorted, so they don’t have the conversation,” said Bethan Moss, a specialist nurse in Wales. “But families are always asked to confirm, and if they’re unsure, they often say no.”
The new campaign—The Best Thing You’ll Do Today—encourages people to both sign the register and speak with their loved ones.
“It’s about peace of mind,” Moss added. “If families know what their relative wanted, they’re far more likely to agree.”
More than 1.3 million people in Wales have declared their willingness to donate organs since the register began in 1994. Over 10,000 patients in Wales have received life-saving transplants. But the lack of conversation is proving deadly.
Across the UK, consent rates are falling, but the drop in Wales is steepest. Current family consent rates are 60% in England, 61% in Scotland, and 66% in Northern Ireland.
“Talking is key,” said Joanna Chalker, a senior nurse with NHS Blood and Transplant who has worked in Wales for 16 years. “When someone has signed the register or told their family, the consent rate jumps to 90%. That can mean the difference between life and death.”
One of those lives saved was 35-year-old Pembrokeshire mum Jessica (pictured), who was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cholangitis—a rare liver condition—in 2016. After two false alarms, she finally received a successful transplant in 2022.
“I’d always been healthy, so the diagnosis was a shock,” she said. “But I was ready. Now I’m walking the kids to school again and loving life. Organ donation gave me everything back.”
Every day in the UK, someone dies waiting for a transplant. Right now, around 8,000 people—including over 200 children—are on the waiting list. A single donor can help up to nine people.
To register your decision or find out more, visit: www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-your-decision
-
News7 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime7 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News7 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn
-
News6 days ago
Plaid Cymru slam “jaw-dropping” remarks by First Minister on welfare cuts
-
Community7 days ago
Henry Tufnell MP demands urgent action on Cleddau river crisis