Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Pembrokeshire 28-day camping rule could be changed in May

Published

on

NATIONAL park members have issued a clarification statement to tackle “inaccurate social media information” on the Article 4 direction to remove permitted development rights for 28-day rule camping ahead of a formal decision in May.

In December, members of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park approved the making and publicising of an Article 4 (1) Direction to remove permitted development rights for 28-day rule camping, caravans and/or mobile homes across the whole of the National Park, with non-immediate effect.

This was followed by an opportunity for formal representations to be made, which closed in mid February, members of the March meeting of the national park heard.

A formal decision, along with a full report, is to be received at the May 7 meeting of the authority.

A report for members stated: “During this period the Authority has received a number of inquiries about how an Article 4 (1) Direction would operate.  There has also been a degree of inaccurate information circulating on social media.”

It added: “Members of the Authority will be asked to take a formal decision on whether to confirm the notice of the Article 4(1) Direction along with a full report of consultations at the May 2025 National Park Authority meeting.  However, ahead of this meeting Officers consider that it would be helpful to clarify the parameters that any Article 4 (1) Direction would operate within.  This clarification has also been requested from some businesses operating within the National Park.

“The National Park Authority will consider in full the responses to the consultation on Article 4 (1) Direction in its May meeting, however following questions raised during the consultation, Officers consider that it would be helpful to provide clarification in advance of that meeting on how any Article 4 (1) Direction would operate if confirmed in May.”

The clarification statement says the proposed restrictions “will apply only to 28-day camping, caravan, and mobile home sites”.

It adds: “Other temporary 28-day uses – including filming, temporary car parks, and mobile saunas – will not be affected. Additionally, exempted certificate sites and bodies operating under exemption certificates will continue to operate as usual.”

The statement also says that “camping and caravan use connected to other permitted temporary events, such as weddings, festivals, filming, or agricultural shows, will not require additional planning permission,” adding: “In assessing whether camping is ancillary to an event, the Authority will consider factors such as licensing, advertising, site usage proportions, and event duration.

“To assist landowners and site operators, the Authority will offer a free pre-application service for those seeking to submit planning applications under the Article 4 (1) Direction. The clarification note also provides guidance on the information required for planning applications.”

Members unanimously backed the publication of the clarification ahead of the May meeting.

News

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

Published

on

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge Hotel site.

The site in Pembroke Dock was acquired by Castell unconditionally in April 2024.

Planning and Sustainable Drainage Approving Body approval has since been secured, enabling completion to be finalised and move to the next phase in bringing the site back to life.

The site has been vacant following a fire in 2019, which has left the building badly damaged and a blight on the local landscape.

The new development is set to revitalise the site, bringing fresh investment and economic benefits to the area.

Utilising social housing grant from Welsh Government, the site will develop 35 much needed social rented homes to the area.

These 35 homes will range in size and consist of various affordable housing, such as social, supported, and intermediate rent.

All properties will be owned and rented by Pembrokeshire County Council.’

Dorian Payne, Managing Director at Castell Group said: “We are delighted to reach this critical stage in the redevelopment of the Cleddau Bridge Hotel site.

“We are excited to move forward with the construction in collaboration with Pembrokeshire County Council.”

The announcement of the completion of the contracts between Castell Group and Pembrokeshire County Council’s demonstrates both parties’ commitment to delivering high-quality housing and bringing brownfield sites back into use.

The project is expected to break ground shortly.

Cllr Michelle Bateman, Cabinet Member for Housing, said: “This site has been derelict since the fire in 2019 so it’s fantastic news that it will now be developed into high quality affordable housing.

“We are committed to increasing the supply of affordable housing and this development, in one of our largest towns, will play a part in meeting the demand for housing in Pembrokeshire.”

Cllr Joshua Beynon, the local member, added: “I am really pleased to see the Council developing this piece of land that has been left as an eyesore since it caught fire some years ago. Housing is what we need and I’m really pleased to see it happening here.”

Anyone interested in applying for one of the homes will need to have an up-to-date housing application.

If you have any queries please email the Customer Liaison Team at devCLO@pembrokeshire.gov.uk or phone them on 01437 764551, or view Housing’s Facebook page: Pembrokeshire County Council Housing Services | Facebook

Continue Reading

News

Proposed Pembrokeshire village ‘traveller site’ sparks 300-strong petition

Published

on

NATIONAL PARK planners are expected to back a call to visit a proposed new ‘traveller site’ on the outskirts of a Pembrokeshire village, which has seen a petition of nearly 300 objections, before making any formal decision.

Nearly 300 people have signed a petition against the creation of one traveller site incorporating one static caravan, one touring caravan, day/utility room and ecological enhancements (partly retrospective) on land at Froghall Yard, Moreton Lane, Saundersfoot.

The objection to the site is also being shared by the village’s community council.

Around 50 people attended a recent meeting of the community council when members voted unanimously to object to the application.

The application is made by Dai Evans of Pontypool, through agents Hayston Developments & Planning Ltd.

Saundersfoot Community Council is recommending that the plans are turned down.

Members have pointed out that the site is agricultural land, with no caravan or other use in over 30 years.

They added: “This previously unspoilt location is an important part of the landscape setting of the village.”

There was also concern that the site – where two previous planning applications had been rejected – is overlooked from Incline Way above and cannot be screened,

Councillors were ‘frustrated’ that extensive clearance work had already taken place on site, with multiple mature trees removed and apparently disturbing a badger habitat.

They continued: “‘Permission here would be gross overdevelopment setting a precedent for development literally anywhere throughout the National Park, including the additional land owned by the applicant adjacent to the application site.”

The community council’s objection finishes: “The applicant lives in Pontypool and claims no connection to the area.  There is no rationale as to why the applicant chose a site approximately 100 miles away from their home.”

A supporting statement accompanying the application states: “The applicant belongs to a long-standing Romany Gypsy family and generations have lived a traditional and cultural lifestyle living in caravans all their lives.

“Mr Evans and his partner currently reside on an overcrowded Traveller site in Pontypool where living conditions are poor. They currently only live in rented accommodation and its brick and mortar and not in keeping with their cultural preference, as they prefer to live in a caravan.”

It says Mr Evans and family have stayed in a touring caravan at the site during the summer months since the late 1980s when it was owned by another gypsy family, later purchased by Mr Evans in 2023, clearing and refurbishing the site.

“The application’s aspirations are to continue his Gypsy culture and traditions residing in a caravan on site.”

At the April 9 meeting of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park’s development management committee, members are recommended to agree to a site visit ahead of any formal decision on the scheme, on the grounds of public interest.

If a site visit is agreed, the application will be heard at a future national park meeting.

Continue Reading

News

First Minister avoids questions on PIP cuts

Published

on

CARMARTHENSHIRE WOMAN FEARS LOSING HOME OVER PROPOSALS

THE FIRST MINISTER of Wales has once again declined to give her view on controversial plans to cut Personal Independence Payments (PIP), despite mounting concern from the public and members of the Senedd.

During First Minister’s Questions on Tuesday (April 1), Cefin Campbell, Plaid Cymru MS for Mid and West Wales, challenged Eluned Morgan to clarify her stance after hearing from residents in Llanelli affected by the proposed changes.

Mr Campbell told the Senedd he had recently attended a People Speak Up event in Llanelli, where he spoke with constituents worried about the impact of losing their disability payments.

“One woman was concerned she would lose her house. Another said she might have to cut back on food if her PIP was withdrawn,” he said. “This is the seriousness of the situation facing people in our communities.”

He continued: “You were elected, like me, by the people of Mid and West Wales to represent and advocate for them. Can I ask, is this the kind of policy you expected from a Labour-led government in Westminster? A policy that’s going to hit the most vulnerable in our society and push thousands more people into poverty? Is this what you mean by ‘a partnership in power’?”

Despite the direct appeal, the First Minister again refused to offer an opinion on the policy.

Her continued silence follows an earlier refusal to comment during a session of the Committee for the Scrutiny of the First Minister on Friday (March 28), where she also declined to express support or criticism.

This is at odds with recent claims by the Secretary of State for Wales, Jo Stevens, who said that Eluned Morgan welcomed the policy.

Continue Reading

Business6 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime12 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News13 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business18 hours ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News1 day ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime1 day ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Crime3 days ago

Pembrokeshire farm worker accused of threatening to burn employer’s farm 

A PEMBROKESHIRE farm worker has appeared before magistrates charged with threatening to burn his employer’s 375-acre estate and threatening to...

Popular This Week